pixeltracker

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews- Page 4

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews

Lats Profile Photo
Lats
#75FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:42pm

Remember Ben Loved Honeymoon In Vegas, the biggest musical bomb of the season, that hung on by a thread for weeks, until it mercifully closed.

neonlightsxo
#76FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:45pm

^ That has absolutely nothing to do with this. Seems like every critic hated this show, but it's critic proof. So if anything, it's the opposite of Honeymoon.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#77FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:54pm

damn that was harsh. He liked It Shoulda Been You better 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Phillypinto
#78FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:55pm

what does critic proof mean? If it is getting negatively reviewed, how is it critic proof?

Annetteiago
#79FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:56pm

Ben gave Pippin  a mixed review. He was one of the critics that did

"""Diane Paulus' first misfire, WOW!"

Hardly. There were critics who didn't like Pippin."

She won the freakin' Tony...NOT a misfire by any means.  "

Lats Profile Photo
Lats
#80FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:58pm

It is a testament to his consistent cynicism. I saw the first preview. This is a major crowd pleaser, without a flying carpet or a boxing ring. Sorry, but the huge advance is all about word of mouth, and that is very positive. It will be around for awhile.

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#81FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:01pm

"Critic proof" means to me that for whatever reasons -appeal to families, popular stars, witches/princesses, etc- a show can sell enough tickets to stay open and even do well despite not-great reviews. 

Maggie-the-schnoodle

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#82FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:02pm

"what does critic proof mean? If it is getting negatively reviewed, how is it critic proof?"

The phrase "critic proof" refers to any show the public will come to see despite bad reviews. Because there's a star in it that people want to see, because it's based on a beloved source (such as PETER PAN), because it has a great TV commercial or because it features copious nudity, etc.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#83FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:06pm

"Ben gave Pippin  a mixed review. He was one of the critics that did

"

Not to be pedantic but:

Misfire: 

of an engine : to fail to work properly because the fuel mixture burns at the wrong time

of a gun : to fail to fire properly : to fail to shoot a bullet

: to fail to have an intended effect : to fail to work properly

Paulus created a very successful revival that won she and the production a Tony. The production recouped its investment. Under any standard, Pippin was not a misfire.  Whether Brantley was ambivalent about it is irrelevant.  

Mattbrain
#84FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:09pm

Ok, fine, it was a misfire with the critics. There's little point in denying that.

But now we wait and see how Joe Public reacts from here.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 11:09 PM

Annetteiago
#85FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:09pm

thats true but I was pointing out that Diane was not liked by NYT . So its not like its a first thing he did not like by Diane. But yes her FIRST misfire is FN

""Ben gave Pippin  a mixed review. He was one of the critics that did

"

Not to be pedantic but:
Misfire: 
of an engine : to fail to work properly because the fuel mixture burns at the wrong time
of a gun : to fail to fire properly : to fail to shoot a bullet
: to fail to have an intended effect : to fail to work properly
Paulus created a very successful revival that won she and the production a Tony. The production recouped its investment. Under any standard, Pippin was not a misfire.  Whether Brantley was ambivalent about it is irrelevant.  "

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#86FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:12pm

I agree this is critic proof... for a time.

Whether or not the Tony nominators fall in line with critics, though, will affect its longevity.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#87FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:14pm

Perhaps they should have interpolated "Thank Heaven for Little Boys"...

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#88FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:15pm

I would argue that the huge advance has nothing to do with word of mouth, instead relying on brand familiarity. I have yet to hear anyone who loves this show. I haven't seen it and have no opinion, but even shows I thought were duds like Zhivago and Shoulda, I've heard more positive word of mouth about. Not much, but any is more than none.

So far, having seen every new Broadway musical from this season other than this and The Visit (next week!), the only two I have liked have been the delightful Something Rotten and the astonishing Fun Home. I haven't found many shows terrible, but it's been a season awash in mediocrity.

Mattbrain
#89FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:18pm

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 11:18 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#90FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:26pm

I kind of chuckled at this:  " (One of them, asked if he believes in fairies, answers: “My good man, I work in the theater. I see them every day.” (NY Times)

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 11:26 PM

Actriz2
#91FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:27pm

Interesting to note that in his review, Jesse Green indicated that he is very high on The King and I.

evic
#92FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:28pm

Tomorrow's wrap at the BO will tell it all.  !0 million is a decent advance, but that can get burned through very fast.  If the advance does not grow, they are in trouble. And bad news if they don't land many nominations, which at this point, it doesn't look like they will. The show is not cheap to run.  Harvey has billions, but he is not the only producer. The list is about 20 heavy hitters including The Weisslers.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#93FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews

Sauja,that's just silly, there have been LOTS of people here that loved it.  "People" are loving it, maybe not critics, maybe not the majority that posts on discussion boards, but there are people...and a lot of them, that do.

I was at the show Friday night, and the applause was THUNDEROUS. 

Personally, I thought it was more impactful in Boston and was a bit bored in NY, but with the large group I was with (50+ people) more than 1/2 had this as their favorite of the trip.  No, they might not be the most sophisticated, but neither are the overwhelming majority of theatergoers.

I think this will be a somewhat successful show financially, in spite of the critical underwhelming.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

brdway411
#94FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews

I liked it a lot, but I had just lost a close family member when I saw it. Some of the scenes really hit home for me. Will be going back in the next few weeks to see if it was really that bad or if I did really enjoy my afternoon in the theater. Also have a friend in the chorus and want to support him (did not know this until after the first time I saw it). 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#95FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:36pm

Yikes.  These are really awful reviews.  Even in the trades.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#96FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:41pm

Rough season for musicals. We'll get much better reviews for Something Rotten & Fun Home. Interesting to see the Best Musical race. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#97FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:47pm

Might Finding Neverland have just lost its Best Musical nomination to An American in Paris, whose reviews are glowing in comparison to these? I was afraid that the latter would have taken the slot I allocated to The Visit, but maybe that will be better received and boot Neverland instead. 

Lats Profile Photo
Lats
#98FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:48pm

I loved the show and spoke to Harvey after the first preview, and thanked him for the successful transition from screen to stage. Saw 13 shows in two weeks this month, and 38 last year. Of course I am not a critic, just a paying audience member.

Phillypinto
#99FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:51pm

idc what anybody says, I'm hoping It Shoulda Been You will pull an upset. It got better reviews than Finding Neverland. Audiences seem to enjoy both shows though. 

Videos