Famebroadway2
#75DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:51am

What was the Runtime last night? 

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#76DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:54am

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "I love how if someone has a positive opinion about a show around here they are always a "Shill" come on some people like it some won't.

Always?  Or when a new person shows up strictly to shill for a show?

"

Fair point. 

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#77DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:56am

Famebroadway2 said: "What was the Runtime last night? 

"

It let out at about 9:30 last night but it started a bit later than 7 I think the actual runtime was around 2 hours 15 minutes

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#78DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:00pm

Runtime was two and half hours.

jwsel, I completely agree with you that Soul Doctor was worse in a soul-crushing, never-ending, pointless evening of theater way. Disaster is more in line with the unbelievable camp flops of the Prince of Central Park and Into the Light ilk.

It's no surprise that the numbers that came off the best (the nun singing to the slot machine and Kerry Butler's I Am Woman sequence) were the ones that the songs played in full.  Most of the snippets ultimately were just forgettable filler, padding the runtime and not being funny enough to justify their placement in the show. And yes, a nun does sing a love song to a slot machine...I mean the Not Since Carrie entry writes itself!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#79DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:32pm

Is there any design? 

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#80DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:36pm

Now, Toeknail’s skill as a shill is undeniable

But what do we have in common?

WE’RE RELIABLE WITH THE LADIES!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Toeknail
#81DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:29pm

This undeniably skilled shill is just a guy who liked a show. Enough to look up reviews, saw a bad one, and decided to share my own perspective on the other side of the spectrum. I'm new to this site so please explain to me what my big crime here is... was it that I mentioned liking a show rather than finding something to complain about? Or was it that I joined the site today to post my comment?

If this site is intended to be limited to Broadway regulars and professional critics, then I'm sorry I joined in where I don't belong. Because I'm not a regular (only a handful of shows over the last couple years), I haven't been on this site before and probably won't again (unless I see another show I feel strongly enough about to put some thoughts in writing).

h6p8gv
#82DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:16pm

Anyone have a song list for the show

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#83DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:20pm

Weird deletions in this thread. 

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#84DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:23pm

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "Weird deletions in this thread."

I guess BWW doesn't want to pay royalties for Hamilton parody songs.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#85DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:26pm

They don't care for shill puns, either.

The shilling must be coming.... from inside the house!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#86DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:45pm

Bingo, Carol Kane!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#87DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:14pm

Growl, that second Hamilton parody was excellent.

....but the world goes 'round

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#88DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:20pm

Oh, thanks, taz!  I think you mean [clears throat]

Can I be a shill a second?

For just a shillisecond?

Let down my guard

And tell the people how I shill a second?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

neonlightsxo
#89DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:25pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Just because something is a silly spoof doesn't mean all craft gets to be thrown out the window. Book scenes ended abruptly and served no purpose, ideas were either undercooked over overused; this stuff is fine for St. Luke's, which houses some of the notoriously worst off-Broadway theater in New York, but it doesn't fly on Broadway."

Hear, hear!

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#90DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 6:39pm

Whizzer, I've never said this, but I've been reading and loving your reviews for years (loved the Pippin one!), and your review of Disaster is just great.

Updated On: 2/10/16 at 06:39 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#91DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 9:30pm

Toek...first of all...welcome to this board.  You will find all sorts of opinions in here.  There will always be people who will fling critical arrows at you.  In time, you will learn to deal with the many critics in this board.  I get the sense that their current criticisms might be a sort of ritual theatrical hazing... which does happen.  Don't let them get to you.  You'll be fine.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#92DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:32pm

Saw this tonight. a VERY comped crowd. I think Wayne Brady was there, which seemed odd, and Andre from Project Runway. 

Anyway, I was first row, and this show looked CHEAP. Like, not Peter and the Starcatcher style smart cheap, it just looked like bad regional dinner theater. 

The direction was AWFUL. They used like 3 different entrances which after 2 1/2 hrs, gets old. Scenes would start, then blackout, then that same damn vamp, then lights up on the other side of the stage. It seemed like directing 101. 

The performances were fine. I wasn't embarrassed for anyone, save Seth. He was all wrong. He sounded okay, but man, he was so stiff and awkward. I think that was him "acting" but eh. Adam Pascal was in FINE voice. Oof. Love his voice. He was really great, as was Kerry Butler. Loved her voice. Actually, all the leads had impressive vocal moments. 

The story just is stupid and sucks. It would have been funny if we were in on the joke, but most of the cheap elements felt like financial reasons than artistic reasons. It should have been a 90min show. Why drag this out? Act 2 dragged so hard. 

But, and this is a big BUT because it's a lot of other things to sit through, but Simard KILLS it. Just slays it. She was incredible. She was the only one up there who created an actual character, who made choices. She was hilarious to watch, and her big number KILLS it. Her voice was so impressive. Between her, Pascal, and Butler, I was engaged. But the story is awful. 

This is the cheapiest looking show I've ever seen on Broadway. They should have set it in the framework of like a Wisconsin dinner theater performing "Disaster" or something, to make us be like "oh okay" but instead it's like, you have 2 drops that you keep using? 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#93DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:34pm

I take it a cast album is not in its future .

Poster Emeritus

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#94DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:38pm

I so wish I could see production photos for this mess. Ain't no way I'm shelling out money to see this, but I really want to see what this piece o' crap looks like.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#95DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:41pm

"I take it a cast album is not in its future ."

Why do we need that when we can just listen to you sing the same song over and over again about it?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#96DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:56pm

Every song is 90 seconds, with some literally being one line. It would be a pain in the ass to record. 

And I rushed, got there around 2:30, and got a front row seat. Why they'd make this 2 hours is beyond me. And why SETH would cast himself in this just shows you how misguided this whole thing is. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#97DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/11/16 at 12:40am

I was joking re the cast album.

Poster Emeritus

LightsOut90
#98DISASTER(ous) Previews
Posted: 2/11/16 at 1:02am

dare i ask for a merchandise report?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy