pixeltracker

Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets - Page 4

Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets

aaaaaa15
#75Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:27pm

People are really going for the dramatics in this thread huh.

Firstly, I'm not gonna think about this too deeply until it officially gets announced. As has been stated, Riedel has been wrong numerous times before AND he doesn't like Hamilton.

If it does happen, it wont effect me personally too much. By that point I will have seen the show 2 times and will probably just wait until it comes to London to see it again. I do hope they don't make quite such a drastic jump. $577 to $995 is a big difference. I do understand how frustrating it must be for them to see money that could be paid to them go to scalpers instead though. It's a difficult and complex matter. I mainly hope that at least some affordable tickets are still there at face value. 

I personally wouldn't pay more than $250 to see this show, or any other, but if people are willing then what can be done?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#76Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:29pm

sorry, but I can't think of a time where I spent over $100 per ticket to any show. I think people are nuts to waste their money on any show even if they can afford the $450+ ticket prices.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#77Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:37pm

It's not up to you to judge what anyone does with their money.  And in the end, only those people can determine whether or not it was worth the $ they spent. 

Heck, I've spent 25 bucks on a b'way show and STILL wish I could get my moeny back.

And no, currently running shows will NOT raise their premium seats to this same (for now, imagined) prices.  In fact, currently running shows (not including HOT shows) don't often raise their prices at all.  Will is effect future shows?  Perhaps, but not automatically.  Evidence?  No other current show is charging those prices for premium.  You have to be a huge hit to demand those prices.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

aaaaaa15
#78Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:41pm

Yep, I can't see people being willing to pay these prices for any other show. Not even Frozen when that comes along, considering people will be buying tickets for parents and children. Unless they're incredibly wealthy, I think they'd rather put the film on than spend $4000. 

Shows could raise their prices to the same but they'd be soon bringing them back down again when they realize no one will pay that.

The producers of other Broadway shows aren't dumb. They know their show isn't 'Hamilton'. They know there probably wont be another show that can afford to charge these kind of prices for years to come.

Updated On: 4/24/16 at 08:41 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#79Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 10:29pm

Back when THE PRODUCERS instituted premium seating with the same argument ("Why shoudl scalpers make all the profit from our hit show?"Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets i thought of something like a Broadway E-bay where buyers could bid on a pair of the best seats in the house with an auction closing 24 hours prior to the performance. Really hot shows could offer several pairs until demand diminishes. The theatre goers would then set ceiling prices. Not theatre owners. 

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#80Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/24/16 at 11:28pm

Phantom4ever said: "I wish someone would show me some proof that the scalped Hamilton tickets go down in price as the show gets closer.  I have yet to see it.  And yet it's my only hope."  

Two tickets, 2nd row center.  These tickets dropped about every hour starting around 3pm.  I like to watch incase I pull the trigger again.  If it's a pick up only ticket, print directly at StubHub on 40th St and walk briskly to the RRT.  If it's  a download ticket, you can do the same or print at the FedEx Kinkos at the Marriott next door or Staples on 8th Ave near the theater.

I've noticed this price drop trend a lot now.

Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#81Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 3:56am

When I got my tax refund, I may a promise to myself that I would do two things - replace my piece of crap laptop and get a ticket to Hamilton. I've been fortunate enough to see it before (once off Broadway, and once on Broadway) for the lottery price. I had heard about how if you even asked at the box office for a ticket in the near future, it was hopeless, but I gave it ago after seeing a friend get a ticket for June by asking for best available non premium in the next x number of months. I was able to get a seat for June 5th, and I completely resign myself to that being it for me for quite sometime.

The price tag of $995 is insane, but it's also insane to see rear mezzanine seats on Ticketmaster for a whopping $3,000. I understand supply and demand, but the price tag being so hefty is just mind boggling. I wish there was some happy medium way to make it so that all parties come out on top, but it's not very ideal or likely. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#82Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 4:38am

I said this in 2011 (i.e., BOM days) but I can't see how this kind of economics is healthy for the wider Broadway economy - when people are spending thousands to see one show I can't see how they'd afford to or have much interest in seeing multiple shows (i.e., their 'budget' on Broadway shows would be spent). Though I have no actual evidence to suggest it is a negative thing for the wider broadway economy, and Hamilton is clearly bringing people to the theatre that probably wouldn't have gone otherwise, so maybe it's actually a good thing for the long-term.

But I say raise the prices. I'd much rather be paying $1,000 to the Hamilton producers than a greedy ticket scalper. This show is a classic example of why premium pricing was invented* - but the unprecedented demand for this show clearly shows that the show needs to be priced even higher. 

* I find that many struggling shows continue to use this model where it isn't that useful. Holding premium priced seats and then selling them at the last minute to half price TKTS goers is probably not going to keep those who pay full-price very happy. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/25/16 at 04:38 AM

dramamama611
#83Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 6:01am

Most people aren't concerned with the price others pay. Never even enters their mind.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#84Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 6:14am

Oh sorry I didn't mean it like that. What I mean is, in my opinion premium seating only works when there actually demand for a show. Holding a bunch of prime orchestra seats that don't get sold until the last minute at a cheap price is a bit annoying for those that would have been willing to buy them at full (non-premium) price because they end up getting 2nd-tier seats or not purchasing tickets at all because they are dissatisfied with the seats available. I suppose many people who buy full-priced (non-premium) wouldn't know that this happens, so maybe it doesn't bother too many people. I can say that it bothers me and a couple of posters on this forum who have expressed similar frustration at this situation in the past, though. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611
#85Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 6:20am

Gotcha.  Sort of. Thanks for the clarification.

I still don't care what anyone but me pays for a ticket.

JM226
#86Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:29am

"The price tag of $995 is insane, but it's also insane to see rear mezzanine seats on Ticketmaster for a whopping $3,000. I understand supply and demand, but the price tag being so hefty is just mind boggling. I wish there was some happy medium way to make it so that all parties come out on top, but it's not very ideal or likely."

"come out on top"???  i don't understand. are the people who pay $1,000+ per ticket being REQUIRED to spend the money and buy it? are the producers of Hamilton sticking a GUN to their head and forcing them to go see the live performance of a musical that will be around for many more years? there can be no "loser" in a consenting exchange of commerce via the free market. how is it that someone is 'losing' here? are you referring to people who don't have the means to afford such a ticket price? if so, I'll repeat what I say every single damn time:

1.) live entertainment is NOT a right. it is NOT a necessity. it is a luxury... it is a privilege. 

2.) there are PLENTY of ways to access both this show and other shows in an affordable way: lottery, cancellation, rush, gifting, discount, etc. just because YOU haven't been the beneficiary doesn't mean you're losing and someone else is coming out on top. 

the dramatics, rhetoric and hysteria on display by people who would rather live in a government regulated financial market, like North Korea, is getting to the point of absurdity. i hope you're all just trolling at this point... 

After Eight
#87Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:56am

"i hope you're all just trolling at this point... "

Like you? You've made your case: with a fury. No need to repeat it again and again, with capitals, no less. Could you please stop shouting?

alliesinger Profile Photo
alliesinger
#88Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 9:21am

Dave13 said: "I am all for putting the brokers out of business.  I rather see the show get the money that a scalper. 

Agreed. Plus, if that money's getting into the right hands, at least some of it will go toward the creation of more theatre. I'd rather that a hundred times over than scalpers getting rich off of it.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#89Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 9:26am

Oh my god, you must be completely lacking in self-awarenesst to call other people hysterical and dramatic and then accuse people who complain about ticket prices of wanting to live in North Korea. You do this over-the-top hectoring thing in every Hamilton price thread. Its weird. Just chill and let people vent without scolding them about the free market and government handouts. If you can find a single person in any Hamilton thread who said they have a RIGHT to see it, I'll eat my hat. You're taking complaints about scalping and prices, making up things that people are not saying, yelling at them about the wonder of free markets, and then accusing THEM of being dramatic and hysterical. It's beyond tiresome at this point.

JM226
#90Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 9:44am

^^^ if people complained about not being able to afford the show, i would never speak up or response. unfortunately, that's NOT what people complain about. they complain about it not being more "fair." they complain they're getting 'screwed' and 'shut out,' which is completely different than bemoaning the fact that you cannot afford a ticket. that implies and insinuates that something potentially nefarious is happening... it also gives off an attitude of self-entitlement. THAT is what I am responding to. nothing else.  give me a break with your ridiculous, completely baseless accusations. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#91Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 10:36am

Well, it looks like Riedel is getting the knee-jerk reactions he was hoping for with his non-news.  Honestly, there is no real reason to read anything past the opening paragraph of his article.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#92Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 10:56am

"2.) there are PLENTY of ways to access both this show and other shows in an affordable way: lottery, cancellation, rush, gifting, discount, etc. just because YOU haven't been the beneficiary doesn't mean you're losing and someone else is coming out on top. "

Yes there are but I think there are people like myself pointing out how amazing it is to us to spend $995 for one ticket. Like I posted earlier, I am spending a few dollars less for a 7 day cruise with a balcony cabin. To each their own I guess - lol.  I paid $89 to see Hamilton last September.

Updated On: 4/25/16 at 10:56 AM

dramamama611
#93Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 11:00am

But the people buying a 995 dollar ticket to Hamilton, are not spending "only" that amount on their cruise.  They are spending 3 & 4 grand for theirs. Or more.   Or even chartering their own boat.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#94Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 11:10am

Many cruises now offer very exclusive staterooms that could cost up to $30k- there was just an article in the NYTimes about businesses offering premium experiences to the very wealthy.

The fact is: people who can afford these luxuries will pay for them. Broadway is not a populist venue and has not been in some time.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/25/16 at 11:10 AM

Jallenc32
#95Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 11:35am

qolbinau said: "* I find that many struggling shows continue to use this model where it isn't that useful. Holding premium priced seats and then selling them at the last minute to half price TKTS goers is probably not going to keep those who pay full-price very happy. "

Selling a handful of premiums and then selling the rest at TKTS can actually be more valuable from a gross revenue standpoint than selling all the tickets at regular price.

10086sunset
#96Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 12:12pm

dramamama611 said: "People always complain about whatever show is most expensive...even at face value.   Heck, around here, it doesn't even have to be most expensive

Again....all of my tickets have been either through the website or at the box office...face value.  It can be done.

"

^ This. At the end of the day, if you have an Amex when tickets are put on pre-sale, you should be able to purchase a seat at face value. 

Updated On: 4/25/16 at 12:12 PM

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#97Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 1:06pm

10086sunset said: "dramamama611 said: "
^ This. At the end of the day, if you have an Amex when tickets are put on pre-sale, you should be able to purchase a seat at face value. 
"

Is that the "Everyday American Express Card"? I don't have one but I could always apply I guess.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#98Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 1:32pm

I don't see how this has any ripple effects beyond Hamilton and any other as-yet-unknown shows that can get away with it (Bette as Dolly?). Otherwise, other shows that sold premium seats: Spring Awakening, The Last Ship, Amazing Grace, Doctor Zhivago, Holler If  Ya Hear Me, and on and on.... 

Tandrews
#99Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:18pm

If I am an agent, I love this article. Not only does it put the producers on notice for price increases, but also sets the stage (pardon the pun) for the cast to get more of a slice of the pie. Just my take...the cast has worked very hard and still IMO has not been given a real slice of the pie. 

Videos