pixeltracker

Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS- Page 4

Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#75Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/22/17 at 7:39pm

Sara is meant to do all performances, so unless she's sick, she's in... AFAIK.

Ilovemusic3
#76Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/22/17 at 9:23pm

Thank you both so much! I appreciate your help! smiley

VintageSnarker
#77Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:12am

For those who have seen the show recently, has the BC/EFA collection affected the stage door? I'm not sure if I should wait to go later in May after the collections have finished. 

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#78Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:56am

They have not sold any items since Sara took over, Only the auction for her apron.  It's been my understanding that she is not signing in general and just waving and going to her car.  Not sure if anyone else can say differently, I wanting to get my Playbill to her somehow.  

VintageSnarker
#79Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 4:05am

I'm not sure if it was just the rain, but yes, Sara came down the line and waved but left quickly. No issue with it after that amazing performance and I think it was nice she took the time to come out at all. Chris was the only one of the cast to stop and sign but he seemed to take a lot of time with everyone who wanted to chat. 

I still have to put all my thoughts together but what I'll say for now is that with this second viewing, I think the material is stronger than I initially thought as it stands up to different interpretations. I loved the songs at first but I thought the story was just fine. Tonight they were really firing on all cylinders. I think Sara brings a more definite musical comedy vibe. With Sara, it's very much Jenna's story. Though Will brought a lot of depth to Earl to the point I almost wish there was more written for that character either in the past or present. I would have gladly watched another half hour. Christopher Fitzgerald was somehow even better even though I already knew all the jokes. I don't know how they'll ever replace him. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#80Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 4:46am

VintageSnarker said: " with this second viewing, I think the material is stronger than I initially thought as it stands up to different interpretations."

Same thing happened to me.

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#81Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:40am

haterobics said: "VintageSnarker said: " with this second viewing, I think the material is stronger than I initially thought as it stands up to different interpretations."

Same thing happened to me.

"I'm going to agree. I saw the show with Jessie and thought it was just good. Admittedly I am a massive Sara fan, but I just thought the show felt fuller... that's the best way I can describe it. I was more connected and engaged throughout. It was a real treat to see it the second time around.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#82Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:13am

cglaid said: "I'm going to agree. I saw the show with Jessie and thought it was just good. Admittedly I am a massive Sara fan, but I just thought the show felt fuller... that's the best way I can describe it. I was more connected and engaged throughout. It was a real treat to see it the second time around."

For clarification, my second viewing was seeing Jessie again. I don't see Sara until early June. Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS

kreichelt
#83Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:35am

VintageSnarker said: "Christopher Fitzgerald was somehow even better even though I already knew all the jokes. I don't know how they'll ever replace him."

I've seen the show twice with Christopher, and twice at the ART pre-Christopher.  Jeremy Morse, who understudies for him, had the part in Cambridge, and he was wonderful.  I was disappointed for him that they re-cast the part for Broadway, and thought Christopher was maybe a little too old for the part.  Turns out, yes, Christopher is great.  But Jeremy really was, too - so don't worry, the show will go on.

Regarding Earl:  I like Will Swenson better than I liked Nick Cordero -- but I have to say that Joe Tippett, who played the part in Cambridge, was the best Earl to date.  For one, he played guitar -- seriously Earls - learn to play your song.  And while you disliked his Earl just as much in the present, he brought a background charm to the role that made you understand how Jenna could have fallen in love with him once upon a time that I haven't gotten out of either of the others.

Updated On: 4/26/17 at 08:35 AM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#84Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 9:15am

I think the material itself is good, but I didn't enjoy the show at all because of the staging and direction. I have never seen a diner with a live band so that conceit was lost on me. The dancing patrons (and even the style of choreography) was a total turn off except during Christopher Fitzgerald's numbers. I hope to see strong regional productions of this show a few years from now. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

VintageSnarker
#85Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:02am

@kreichelt You didn't find Will Swenson's Earl charming??? That was part of what I liked about him. He had the swagger and bravado of past roles like Berger and Stacee Jaxx (I'm assuming, not having seen Rock of Ages) but you got the sense that this guy had never been a leader or on stage in any big way and that discrepancy between who he thought he should be and how he thought people should be treating him and what his life was actually life had made him incredibly bitter. I read a lot into the way he talked about losing his job this time.

His insecurity also felt different. There was a meanness to him in all senses of the word. I understood him being unable to love differently this time. It was almost sociopathic the way he tried to manipulate her when they fight over the money. For a while I felt like he loved her but after that scene when it seemed like he went back to normal as he exited, I started to doubt it. Maybe he just liked having someone belong to him. But then again, maybe not. The way he turned on a dime from charming to violent or angry also raised the tension. Swenson plays Earl smarter and it complements the way Sara plays Jenna. I completely understood how she would have ended up with him. The way things end also feels different. When I saw it the first time I thought he was actually hurt by hearing she didn't love him. This time, when he leaves he's exposed as the true bully and coward he is when she finally finds the strength to stand up to him. 

I do agree that Christopher Fitzgerald looks considerably older than 32 and reads older next to Caitlyn but he's just so good in the role. 

I also found the staging distracting the first time. It reminded me of shows like Tuck Everlasting and Bright Star that seemed to put bodies on stage when they didn't need to be there. But for whatever reason, it mostly worked for me this time. It seemed to evoke this sense of family... like the cast family. And I started to find meaning in having the other pregnant women on stage, which I found awkward the first time. Though I do think suspension of disbelief was less of a problem when people were cheering for Sara's big notes. It wasn't like I was ever going to complete lose myself in the show with that going on.

kreichelt
#86Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 12:31pm

VintageSnarker said: "@kreichelt You didn't find Will Swenson's Earl charming??? That was part of what I liked about him. He had the swagger and bravado of past roles like Berger and Stacee Jaxx (I'm assuming, not having seen Rock of Ages) but you got the sense that this guy had never been a leader or on stage in any big way and that discrepancy between who he thought he should be and how he thought people should be treating him and what his life was actually life had made him incredibly bitter. I read a lot into the way he talked about losing his job this time.

His insecurity also felt different. There was a meanness to him in all senses of the word. I understood him being unable to love differently this time. It was almost sociopathic the way he tried to manipulate her when they fight over the money. For a while I felt like he loved her but after that scene when it seemed like he went back to normal as he exited, I started to doubt it. Maybe he just liked having someone belong to him. But then again, maybe not. The way he turned on a dime from charming to violent or angry also raised the tension. Swenson plays Earl smarter and it complements the way Sara plays Jenna. I completely understood how she would have ended up with him. The way things end also feels different. When I saw it the first time I thought he was actually hurt by hearing she didn't love him. This time, when he leaves he's exposed as the true bully and coward he is when she finally finds the strength to stand up to him. 
"

Yes to all you say - and I definitely did prefer Will's Earl to Nick's.  But if you get a chance, go back and watch a recording of the ART version and see what you think of Joe Tippett.  Of the changes from Cambridge to Broadway, his loss was my biggest disappointment (I also really liked Jeanna de Waal's Dawn).  But somebody must not have agreed with me... or maybe he went off to do something else...

LiveOutLoud Profile Photo
LiveOutLoud
#87Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:11pm

Anyone have any insight into how high the stage is at the Brooks? I've got front row tickets for tonight and wasn't sure.

barcelona20
#88Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:15pm

Where might one find a recording at ART?

kreichelt
#89Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 4:24pm

LiveOutLoud said: "Anyone have any insight into how high the stage is at the Brooks? I've got front row tickets for tonight and wasn't sure."

This will give you a sense.  This photo was taken from the 4th row.Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS

LiveOutLoud Profile Photo
LiveOutLoud
#90Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 5:07pm

^Thanks, kreichelt!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#91Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 5:39pm

I saw that some non-premium seats are now available for Sara's Waitress. Is she worth a very expensive ($189) seat? I love her voice but how is her acting?

VintageSnarker
#92Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:32pm

Her acting is great. I mean, she's not Cynthia Errivo, but if I hadn't known, I never wouldn't have guessed that she isn't a professional actress. She's charismatic but she plays Jenna like someone tougher who uses humor to deflect. I thought she nailed the comedy in a way that Jessie didn't.

As for seating, I wouldn't sit too far to the side but even standing room at the back feels really close to the stage so I wouldn't worry about sitting closer if it's not in your budget. I was in row K and I marveled at how perfect my view was. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#93Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:50pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm debating between this and Groundhog Day on TDF. Oddly both have their big 11 o'clock numbers. So basically it's between "She Used to be Mine" and "Seeing You."

JustAFan3
#94Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/27/17 at 9:36am

poisonivy2 said: "Thanks for the advice! I'm debating between this and Groundhog Day on TDF. Oddly both have their big 11 o'clock numbers. So basically it's between "She Used to be Mine" and "Seeing You."

I would see Sara in Waitress.  I saw both her and Jessie and I am huge Jessie fan, but Sara's Jenna is excellent.  Sara's Jenna is more sassy and seems a little more emotionally stronger (IMO).  Jessie's Jenna seemed more broken, more vulnerable.  I love the show and you won't regret it.  Sara's run is limited so see her while you can. Let us know!

"

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#95Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/27/17 at 9:48am

Just bought tickets for Sunday. Can't wait! 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#96Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 6:46pm

I saw Sara this afternoon. Absolutely loved her and already bought a ticket to see her again. I honestly can't imagine a better Jenna. She was so spunky, lovable, funny, and yet her interactions with Earl rang so true. Amazing voice too.

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2017/04/spring-diaries-beautiful-pies-babes-in.html

KathyNYC2
#97Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 7:09pm

poisonivy2 said: "I saw Sara this afternoon. Absolutely loved her and already bought a ticket to see her again. I honestly can't imagine a better Jenna. She was so spunky, lovable, funny, and yet her interactions with Earl rang so true. Amazing voice too.

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2017/04/spring-diaries-beautiful-pies-babes-in.html

"

I read your review. Glad you enjoyed it. But just for the record, you saw understudy Jeremy Morse as Ogie....not Christopher Fitzgerald who has been out all weekend. Both are fabulous for sure. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#98Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 7:24pm

Oh there was no slip saying Christopher was out. Oh well. The understudy was fantastic too.

KathyNYC2
#99Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 7:29pm

poisonivy2 said: "Oh there was no slip saying Christopher was out. Oh well. The understudy was fantastic too.

"

There were inserts in today's playbills. Not sure why yours did not have one. Perhaps it fell out at some point.  But yes Jeremy is fantastic also. 

Videos