News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#75GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:41pm

VotePeron said: "War Paint has never been in the running for the 4th Best Musical slot. 

Really hoping this ends with a Tony Award for Karl. He deserves so much more than any other potential nominee.

"I thought the 4th spot could either go to WP or GHD but after tonight's reviews..I believe Groundhog Day will get that spot!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

clb10162
#76GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:42pm

David Rooney's review in The Hollywood Reporter is a rave.  And there are plenty of pull quotes in many other reviews.

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#77GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:43pm

Could they put in a 5th slot as they did last year? Or was that just a fluke because of Hamilton?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#78GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:46pm

I'm surprised by the support of Karl winning over Platt as he has seemed as the crowd favorite the entire season until now. 

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#79GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:48pm

There will only be a fifth slot if 3 or fewer votes separate the fourth and fifth place shows.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#80GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:53pm

To everyone saying Andy Karl is a lock to win.....you all clearly dont realize what Ben Platt has been doing in Dear Evan Hansen. I cant rave about his performance enough...its so real and just....wow....

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#81GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:54pm

GreasedLightning said: "I'm surprised by the support of Karl winning over Platt as he has seemed as the crowd favorite the entire season until now. 

"

Couldn't agree more. Funny how some reviews (or love letters) can change that. Still, I think any of those two could win -specially now- and it'll be a very tight race. No predicting who'll win this year, only hoping, I'd dare say.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 10:54 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#82GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:57pm

Ethan have you even seen Andy Karl's performance or are you just a teenage fanboy for DEH?

Deadline - Positive http://deadline.com/2017/04/broadway-review-groundhog-day-1202071074/

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#83GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:59pm

songanddanceman2 said: "Ethan have you even seen Andy Karl's performance or are you just a teenage fanboy for DEH?

Deadline - Positive http://deadline.com/2017/04/broadway-review-groundhog-day-1202071074/

"

I have seen Groundhog Day, both in London and in the city, and like the show very much! but what Ben is doing at the Music Box is one of the most nuanced, detailed performances I have ever seen...thanks for asking!

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 10:59 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#84GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:04pm

Judging how I am in the minority and think Dear Evan Hansen is vastly overrated, I do believe Andy Karl is genuinely giving the better performance. Comedy is extremely difficult to execute, and Karl is doing it masterfully. He has a career load of credits and respect, and I do believe this is his time. Platt is only 22, and will have many more chances to win Tonys, or even garner nominations. Crying onstage and singing very loudly doesn't guarantee a Tony Award. 

If Kelli O'Hara can win for The King and I, Andy Karl can win for Groundhog Day. It is a very similar situation, and I am in shock as to how so few people see it that way. 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#85GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:08pm

Due to Andy's track record and outstanding performance in this show, I think Karl has a strong POSSIBILITY of taking home a Tony this year. Before seeing the show I was full-forward thinking Platt would get it but Karl's performance is definitely TONY-winning worthy not just Tony-nominated worthy.

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#86GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:09pm

helvizz said: "GreasedLightning said: "I'm surprised by the support of Karl winning over Platt as he has seemed as the crowd favorite the entire season until now. 

"

Couldn't agree more. Funny how some reviews (or love letters) can change that. Still, I think any of those two could win -specially now- and it'll be a very tight race. No predicting who'll win this year, only hoping, I'd dare say.

"

Agree right back at you! Should have added in my post that I think it'll be an extremely tight race between the two, as they are both giving fantastic leading male performances this year and both deserve the recognition! 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#87GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:10pm

Ben Platt will be winning.  Andy Karl will land a much deserved nomination, but Ben Platt is giving one of the best performances of the decade and he certainly does much more than cry onstage and sing loudly.  What a stupid thing to say.

There have been many years in which another performer was giving a Tony worthy performance, but there was just someone else that went above and beyond (a la Jessie Mueller and Laura Benanti against Cynthia Erivo or Kristen Chenoweth and Chita Rivera against Kelli O'Hara).  Not everyone can win every year.  It is quite an accomplishment to even be nominated.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:10 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#88GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:12pm

Vulture is mixed-to-negative, but I'm really confused because there's no byline. Is this a website error? Did Jesse Green write this? Or is Jesse being replaced by some nameless entity?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/theater-review-why-isnt-this-groundhog-day-different.html

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#89GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:12pm

Ben Platt does not need you to defend him on BroadwayWorld.com. Calm down.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#90GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:13pm

VotePeron said: "Judging how I am in the minority and think Dear Evan Hansen is vastly overrated, I do believe Andy Karl is genuinely giving the better performance. Comedy is extremely difficult to execute, and Karl is doing it masterfully. He has a career load of credits and respect, and I do believe this is his time. Platt is only 22, and will have many more chances to win Tonys, or even garner nominations. Crying onstage and singing very loudly doesn't guarantee a Tony Award."

Honestly, if comedy, credits, respect, and age is your reason to give it to someone, David Hyde Pierce should be getting that Tony. Ben Platt completely transforms himself to Evan's character, which is (1) an original role (2) not even a remotely easy character. I am going to see Andy in 2 weeks so will know more about how he's doing, but I don't really know if I can trust your opinion since you think Ben Platt isn't doing Tony-worthy work.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

icecreambenjamin
#91GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:15pm

VotePeron said: "Ben Platt does not need you to defend him on BroadwayWorld.com. Calm down.

Well he seems like a genuinely nice person, and I get upset when people feel the need to say rude things about nice, talented people.  You're not edgy for hating on Dear Evan Hansen.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:15 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#92GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:17pm

Man, based on these raves on Karl, I'm starting to consider to see this. I like this movie anyway and just listened to "Seeing you" this morning and I'm in love

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#93GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:21pm

Are you 12? Hes doing great work but its not a lock he will win. Andy Karl could very easily take it, his reviews are suoerb and its a very tough role, the fact hes getting raves after Bill Murray played the role is credit to what hes accomplished. Hes also just won the Olivier Award.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#94GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:24pm

"Well he seems like a genuinely nice person, and I get upset when people feel the need to say rude things about nice, talented people."

Oh good lord- no one is saying he's personally a jerk, but it's an opinion on his performance. Not everyone is required to believe Ben Platt is god's gift to musical theatre. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

icecreambenjamin
#95GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:29pm

songanddanceman2 said: "Are you 12? Hes doing great work but its not a lock he will win. Andy Karl could very easily take it, his reviews are suoerb and its a very tough role, the fact hes getting raves after Bill Murray played the role is credit to what hes accomplished. Hes also just won the Olivier Award.

I am certainly not 12 nor has anything that I've said suggested that I was twelve.  Anyone could take the award technically, but Platt is almost certainly a lock for lead.  Karl will get a nomination and will probably lead him to other projects that will lead him to many awards, but I don't think this is his year.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#96GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:29pm

oy vey. Ultimatly, I am happy saying that Ben Platt is giving the more tony worthy performance, not to say Andy isnt, he is a giving a brilliant performance but something about Ben's performance is different. VERY different. Honestly, wouldnt be suprised if the last 20 min or so of Dear Evan Hansen is the reason why Ben and Rachel will likely win their Tony's.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:29 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#97GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:30pm

Well, since Dear Evan Hansen - a musical about underdogs - is no longer the underdog, but instead the popular kid that everyone is 99% sure will win Prom King, it would technically make me very "edgy" to root for Groundhog Day. 

icecreambenjamin
#98GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:34pm

VotePeron said: "Well, since Dear Evan Hansen - a musical about underdogs - is no longer the underdog, but instead the popular kid that everyone is 99% sure will win Prom King, it would technically make me very "edgy" to root for Groundhog Day. 

Well that's a shallow way to look at theatre, but sure.  Dear Evan Hansen is the better crafted piece of theatre and that's why it has gained so much momentum and has continued to do extremely well at the box office.   You can root for whatever show you want, but it doesn't help the fact that Groundhog Day has shown to be slightly problematic even though it is very entertaining, and the reviews have commented on this.  This whole thing is like saying that Christine Ebersole could beat Bette Midler because she got great reviews.  Raves don't guarantee a Tony.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:34 PM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#99GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:35pm

VotePeron, Clearly you have never been an underdog. Dear Evan Hansen is relating to people in a way that many shows cant. It has shown me, and thousands of others that you are not alone.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:35 PM

Videos