pixeltracker

Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest- Page 4

Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest

ijest22
#75Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:02am

Robbie2 said: "Margo319 said: "Actually, tons of people always ask Ben on Twitter if he will be in the show, since it started.  Ben is the star of that show, very clearly.  

"

He sure is and now a TONY winner and BEST MUSICAL AND...

DEH Holy Toledo...

They just raised prices for Orchestra $299-$399

Mezzanine $250-$299

"

They were already charging that, at least for orchestra center, back in April.  I had the bad luck to pay stub hub prices for Tony day and saw Colton (fine, but not at Ben Platt prices).  I'm throwing another small fortune at next Saturday night.  It's kind of like playing craps-- maybe you get lucky and maybe you wasted a lot of money.

HD1313
#76Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:57am

Completely putting aside Margo319's ignorance and worn down "Millennial" comeback, Skylark3, I am so sorry that happened to you. Yes, we have to always brace ourselves for the chance that the actors we are looking forward to seeing won't be in the show, but its still heartbreaking when we get to the show and that little slip in the playbill says "At this performance"...I had a similar situation when I went to see Fun Home and Emily Skeggs and Michaeal Cerveris were both out, and returned...the day after I saw the show...very frustrating. It happens, but nonetheless, frustrating. I hope that you can sort out a way to see Ben in the role before he leaves. He truly is fantastic.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#77Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:21pm

Yes, those prices have been in effect for several months now.

If by chance Ben is out, you can get a refund - no problem from the box office.  

bexplex
#78Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:29pm

Anyone know if he will be back this week?

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#79Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:30pm

^ I was wondering the same thing. I got relatives in town who have tickets to see it. 

herewegoabc
#80Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:45pm

I believe he confirmed yesterday that he is released to be back on Tuesday.

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 10:45 PM

bexplex
#81Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:54pm

herewegoabc said: "I believe he confirmed yesterday that he is released to be back on Tuesday.

"

Hope so I am going wed afternoon 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#82Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:03am

I've already seen DEH twice (once in DC, once at Second Stage), so no sarcasm, but I'm looking forward to seeing his replacement — I'm very curious as to who it'll be and how he'll play it. Until then, wishing Ben Platt much vocal health!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#83Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 12:30pm

After seeing the show for the first time on Friday (with Colton not Ben), I would be curious to see Ben Fankhauser as Evan. He can definitely handle the songs. Acting-wise, I think he can do well, too.

Skylark3
#84Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:30pm

Colton was underwhelming. He has the unenviable job of understudying one of the hottest stars on Broadway right now. His performance was subdued and flew under the radar, largely. I didn't care about his character at all. I was much more interested in his Mother and Connor. Evan only came to life in "Words Fail".

i walked away disappointed. I had resolved myself to seeing an understudy who would rock it. I didn't get that, unfortunately. A terrific ensemble, however. 

The box office had a large number of people exchanging tickets and there were even a few empty seats on Tony Sunday. Exchanging isn't really an option for this out-of-towner. I'm back in town on business in July, but of course the box office had nothing available over the length of my stay.

The box office did tell me that my tickets, purchased in December, could be exchanged for dates in January (!), though I'd have to pay the difference in ticket price (an additional $210 EACH) and that they couldn't guarantee the Platt would still be in the show. Single seats at premium prices were available in August. 

The box office was terribly sympathetic and professional. 

A pretty disappointing experience, the timing of which (suddenly raised prices, Tony weekend, seeing the guy who couldn't perform the matinee sing on TV that night) only added to the let down.

Timing is everything.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 01:30 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#85Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:46pm

I just told friends in Oregon obsessed with seeing Platt  (and willing to spend a fortune) that the show itself will have such a long life, most people will not see Platt, yet still have the Evan experience. As was true of HAMILTON.  Most people will not have seen the OBC.  Stars, and especially show-created stars, are important. But the shows are artistic creations independent of them.  I can't comment on the current understudy. But eventually "Dear Evan Hansen" will have a leading man who gives a performance in some ways comparable to Platt's. It will happen. It may be this actor covering the part, growing further in the role, or someone yet to be found, excuse the reference.  This will be a long-running show, and after Platt's departure, the show will become the event.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

froote
#86Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:53pm

The show isn't the star in the same way Hamilton was. On these boards when people would ask whether they should sell their Javier tickets and buy Lin tickets on StubHub they were told no, the opposite is being said of DEH. You would never have seen empty seats at Hamilton this time last year, even with Javier or Jon Rua. People were just desperate to see the show with whoever. 

It will have a decent run, but I do think grosses will decrease swiftly once Ben leaves and by the time it closes I don't think it will be have been open long enough to be considered a long-runner.

Skylark3
#87Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:59pm

Time will tell -- but the number of people disappointed at the box office on Sunday andvexchanging tickets supports your point that, once Platt is gone, things will shift.

i know I would not have purchased tickets myself for the show if I hadn't heard about Platt. When you're more interested in supporting players, that's a bad sign.

LarryD2
#88Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:01pm

The show was still at over 100% capacity last week with a $1.2 million gross, and that was with the understudy doing the majority of the performances. The show will have a life without Platt.

froote
#89Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:03pm

LarryD2 said: "The show was still at over 100% capacity last week with a $1.2 million gross, and that was with the understudy doing the majority of the performances. The show will have a life without Platt."

It's also at its absolute peak being Tonys week. It will have a life yes, just not a huge one I don't think. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#90Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:04pm

DEH will survive the same way Jersey Boys did after John Lloyd Young left, Phantom did after Michael Crawford left, and Miss Saigon did after Lea Salonga left.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

froote
#91Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:06pm

I mean those shows all had very different lengths of runs. No one is suggesting it will close the day Ben leaves.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#92Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:06pm

Amazing how all of a sudden people are predicting it's failure after sweeping The Tonys not more than 2 days ago.  Jeezzzzz.....

ijest22
#93Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:08pm

LarryD2 said: "The show was still at over 100% capacity last week with a $1.2 million gross, and that was with the understudy doing the majority of the performances. The show will have a life without Platt.

"

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I don't think last week is a good go by.  Most of the people who attended last week bought tickets at inflated prices hoping to see the entire original cast including Ben.  Yes, people who didn't buy from stub hub could get their money back, but since the box office has virtually nothing to exchange, a lot of people probably just gritted their teeth and saw the show anyway, since the alternative for most was probably not seeing it at all.  Once Ben is gone, though, it remains to be seen if people will continue to pay the inflated prices for whomever replaces Ben.  I might, depending on who it is, but I don't need to see Colton again.

froote
#94Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:09pm

nealb1 said: "Amazing how all of a sudden people are predicting it's failure after sweeping The Tonys not more than 2 days ago.  Jeezzzzz....."

Fun Home swept the Tonys as much as DEH did and still closed only 18 months or so after. No one is predicting failure either, I think it will recoup (if it hasn't already?) and close within two years of Ben leaving. That's not failure by any means!

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 02:09 PM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#95Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:14pm

froote said: "nealb1 said: "Amazing how all of a sudden people are predicting it's failure after sweeping The Tonys not more than 2 days ago.  Jeezzzzz....."

Fun Home swept the Tonys as much as DEH did and still closed not only 18 months or so after. No one is predicting failure either, I think it will recoup (if it hasn't already?) and close within two years of Ben leaving. That's not failure by any means!
"

This show is nothing like FUN HOME. The cast recording debuted at number 8 on the Billboard charts. It'll probably re-enter the top 10 if its current position on iTunes holds for a few days. While part of that might be Ben Platt, this show has a life of its own. People are not buying the cast recording at that kind of pace just because of one person. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

clb10162
#96Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:15pm

HD1313 said: "..I had a similar situation when I went to see Fun Home and Emily Skeggs and Michaeal Cerveris were both out, and returned...the day after I saw the show...very frustrating. It happens, but nonetheless, frustrating. I hope that you can sort out a way to see Ben in the role before he leaves. He truly is fantastic.

"

Are you seriously comparing the absence of Emily Skeggs and Michael Cerveris to that of Ben Platt in one of the most lauded performances in recent Broadway history?  And assuming you did experience an equivalent level of disappointment, it would certainly have been a lot easier to get a ticket to another performance of Fun Home (schedule permitting) than another DEH performance.

froote
#97Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:17pm

Yes which is why I'm predicting a longer run than Fun Home post-Tonys. But buying a cast recording with Ben Platt for $12 is not the same as buying a $200 ticket to the show without Ben Platt. 

Not sure what everyone's issue is here, I think it's clear that whilst the show has its fans, the star of the show is what people are really hyped up about. People weren't leaping to their feet on Sunday night for Pasek & Paul or Rachel Bay Jones, but they were for Ben.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#98Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:20pm

clb10162 said: "HD1313 said: "..I had a similar situation when I went to see Fun Home and Emily Skeggs and Michaeal Cerveris were both out, and returned...the day after I saw the show...very frustrating. It happens, but nonetheless, frustrating. I hope that you can sort out a way to see Ben in the role before he leaves. He truly is fantastic.

"

Are you seriously comparing the absence of Emily Skeggs and Michael Cerveris to that of Ben Platt in one of the most lauded performances in recent Broadway history?  And assuming you did experience an equivalent level of disappointment, it would certainly have been a lot easier to get a ticket to another performance of Fun Home (schedule permitting) than another DEH performance.
"

Personally, I would put Cerveris' performance in the same league as Platt's. I thought it was masterful. Absolutely one of the best I've ever seen.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

froote
#99Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:22pm

I preferred Cerveris, one of my favorite performances of all time.

Videos