pixeltracker

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?- Page 4

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?

pmensky
#75Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 10:11am

Jarethan said: "NoItAll said: "pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

Thisis going to sell Mame?! And that was 8 years ago.

Can anyone hereabouts come up with another name capable of turning a musical into a hit all by herself and could sing “My White Knight” better than Sutton Foster was even able to imagine? No? Then try looking up the latest Broadway grosses for a hint.
"

I love SF, but it was Hugh Jackman who sold the tickets. Remember the first time he was out and the grosses dropped by over $1.0MM (and would have dropped by more if people had more notice). SF sells tickets, but not enough to make that production a hit.

I also think that Megan Mullally would NOT sell tickets. Maybe as a stunt cast Matron Morton for 8 weeks, but not as Mama Rose. Maybe on tour, but not on Broadway.
"

Sutton Foster has done 12 Broadway shows, led 6 seasons of a successful TV series, and won 2 Tonys, including for a revival of Anything Goes which she performed for over a year. The show extended its run at least once while she was in it and at least once for months after she left. Your non sequitur that “it was Hugh Jackman sold the tickets,” is evidence you really have no valid argument as to why she wouldn’t be ideal in this revival. 

As for Megan Mullally (4 Broadway shows, 2 Emmys and 4 SAGs) she is exactly the type of actress who should play Rose. She has the right chutzpah, amazing comedic timing and a wonderful singer. Her character on Will & Grace was iconic and beloved. She has the kind of tourist name recognition that producers love. 

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#76Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 10:37am

Except something seems to always happen once Mullally is cast in a stage production of...well, anything.  She always drops out. 

Updated On: 1/26/23 at 10:37 AM

Observation
#77Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 11:11am

I say this half jokingly, but it really does feel like Annaleigh Ashford will be playing Mama Rose at some point in her career. She is getting those coveted musical theater roles. 

Dollypop
#78Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 2:46pm

Highland Guy said: "Sheena Easton. Yes, that's right. Sheena "Sensational Scottish Pop Star" Easton.

I saw Sheena Easton as Aldonza quite a few years ago and will never forget how her Scottish accent slipped out when she said, "Clear those clouds from your eyes and see me as I really am!"

"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Jarethan
#79Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 4:22pm

pmensky said: "Jarethan said: "NoItAll said: "pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

Can anyone hereabouts come up with another name capable of turning a musical into a hit all by herself and could sing “My White Knight” better than Sutton Foster was even able to imagine? No? Then try looking up the latest Broadway grosses for a hint.
"

I love SF, but it was Hugh Jackman who sold the tickets. Remember the first time he was out and the grosses dropped by over $1.0MM (and would have dropped by more if people had more notice). SF sells tickets, but not enough to make that production a hit.

I also think that Megan Mullally would NOT sell tickets. Maybe as a stunt cast Matron Morton for 8 weeks, but not as Mama Rose. Maybe on tour, but not on Broadway.
"

Sutton Foster has done 12 Broadway shows, led 6 seasons of a successful TV series, and won2 Tonys, including for a revival of Anything Goes which she performed for over a year. The show extended its run at least once while she was in it and at least once for months after she left. Your non sequitur that “it was Hugh Jackman sold the tickets,” is evidence you really have no valid argument as to why she wouldn’t be ideal in this revival.

As for Megan Mullally (4 Broadway shows, 2 Emmys and 4 SAGs) she is exactly the type of actress who should play Rose. She has the right chutzpah, amazing comedic timing and a wonderful singer. Her character on Will & Grace was iconic and beloved. She has the kind of tourist name recognition that producers love.
"

You missed my point entirely.  I did not question wither’s ability to play Rose; if you look back earlier, I actually posted in response to someone who dissed her for it; I essentially said that no one should ever rule her out, referencing the folks who said that she wouldn’t be a good Reno in years-ago posts or Marian in the months leading up to MM.  On the contrary…I suspect that SF could do almost anything she set her mind on doing.  Mullally, not so sure.

On Broadway, Gypsy is an overexposed property that relies on a big name to sell tickets.  I simply opined that I did not think either would sell enough tickets.  When Patti LuPone stars in a money losing production that received spectacular reviews, not to mention Tony’s for its three leading performers, it is going to take a lot to sell tix any time soon…and I am positive that MM cannot sell those tickets and doubt that SF can.  I still believe that, although I would love to be proven wrong.

pmensky
#80Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 4:48pm

Jarethan said: "pmensky said: "Jarethan said: "NoItAll said: "pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

"

"

Sutton Foster has done 12 Broadway shows, led 6 seasons of a successful TV series, and won2 Tonys, including for a revival of Anything Goes which she performed for over a year. The show extended its run at least once while she was in it and at least once for months after she left. Your non sequitur that “it was Hugh Jackman sold the tickets,” is evidence you really have no valid argument as to why she wouldn’t be ideal in this revival.

"

You missed my point entirely. I did not question wither’s ability to play Rose; if you look back earlier, I actually posted in response to someone who dissed her for it; I essentially said that no one should ever rule her out, referencing the folks who said that she wouldn’t be a good Reno in years-ago posts or Marian in the months leading up to MM. On the contrary…I suspect that SF could do almost anything she set her mind on doing. Mullally, not so sure.

On Broadway, Gypsy is an overexposed property that relies on a big name to sell tickets. I simply opined that I did not think either would sell enough tickets. When Patti LuPone stars in a money losing production that received spectacular reviews, not to mention Tony’s for its three leading performers, it is going to take a lot to sell tix any time soon…and I am positive that MM cannot sell those tickets and doubt that SF can. I still believe that, although I would love to be proven wrong."

I didn’t miss your point at all. You said SF couldn’t sell the show. I said it extended while she was in the lead. Go to IBDb.com and look at the daily attendance percentages, and you’ll see she’s quite capable of selling tickets in the lead of a major Broadway revival.

Ke3
#81Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 4:54pm

east side story said: "Musicaldudepeter said: "I believe Liza and Bette Midler were asked before Tyna Daly was approached, but both declined."

Arthur Laurents kept Minnelli out of the conversation, so she was never seriously considered. He claimed that her inherent need to be liked by audiences would not work for Madame Rose. Arthur allegedly wanted a strong female actor first, and a vocalist second (or third).

Tyne Daly was also apparently surprised when she was not offered the tv movie version a few years later after playing the role to great success, especially given that CBS was the network of "Cagney & Lacey," a role that won her four Emmys. There is an interview on YT where she mentions this anecdote.
"

Arthur had such a one note take on Rose. He's right that Liza thrives on making the audience like her but that seems like such an interesting take on Rose to me.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#82Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 7:15pm

Even if Megan Mullally couldn't sell tickets on her name only, so what? I'm confident that her wonderful performance would create strong word-of-mouth, goodwill, and a Tony. Maybe that would be enough.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

NoItAll
#83Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 7:43pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Even if Megan Mullally couldn't sell tickets on her name only, so what? I'm confident that her wonderful performance would create strong word-of-mouth, goodwill, and a Tony. Maybe that would be enough."

You might want to look up her most recent live performances. She’d be close to Beanie redux.

I’m willing to be proved wrong. Post a link to a LIVE performance and include the date. (Absence of evidence may not be proof of absence, but some may it consider it close enough in Megan’s case, as not everyone will love her when she’s 64.)

BTW, my request applies to all nominations; reputation is not performance.

Updated On: 1/26/23 at 07:43 PM

pmensky
#84Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 12:59pm

NoItAll said: 
I’m willing to be proved wrong. Post a link to a LIVE performance and include the date. (Absence of evidence may not be proof of absence, but some may it consider it close enough in Megan’s case, as not everyone will love her when she’s 64.)

BTW, my request applies to all nominations; reputation is not performance.
"

Should they prepare two contrasting monologues for you as well, or will a date and time stamped video of their best 32 bars suffice? Seriously, check your ego, and grow up.

Anthony Sunday
#85Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 4:09pm

Countess Luanne, and I'm only half-kidding.

OhHiii
#86Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 4:50pm

Someone really brought Sutton's name up in this conversation? Please never go into casting.

Jay Lerner-Z
#87Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 5:06pm

Nick Offerman would make a good Herbie, opposite his wife's Rose.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#88Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 5:08pm

I said it already, and I will say it again! Stephanie J Block needs to be Mama Rose! That woman has the talent and the voice for this iconic role! I can already see the energy she would send in Rose's Turn!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

pmensky
#89Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 5:30pm

OhHiii said: "Someone really brought Sutton's name up in this conversation? Please never go into casting."

Sounds like someone’s bitter! Didn’t get a callback? For the record,  there was a lot of talk about how Sutton was wrong for Marian in The Music Man, too. Oh, and casting directors don’t make casting decisions, they make suggestions to the director and producers who make those decisions. If a revival of Gypsy was being planned in the next couple years, and you don’t thing Sutton’s name would be discussed, then you’re the one who should never go into casting. 

Anthony Sunday
#90Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 5:41pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Nick Offerman would make a good Herbie, opposite his wife's Rose."

Now you have me thinking about Aubrey Plaza as Louise.

Jarethan
#91Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 6:44pm

Maybe in Summer Stock, not on Broadway.

Jay Lerner-Z
#92Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 7:02pm

I think Cyndi Lauper would have been a good Rose, maybe still could be. Am I wrong?

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#93Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/27/23 at 11:44pm

Tovah as Rose! 
i saw her in the role a few years ago. She flashed her panties during roses’ turn 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#94Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:50am

Here’s a question then to focus this discussion. What are the essential qualities of a good Rose, and what are the things you LIKE in a Rose, whether they go with the grain of the libretto or not?

Oliver Twist
#95Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 2:38am

SARA RAMIREZ would be the ultimate MAMA ROSE! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJqAYUAJbTk

Updated On: 1/28/23 at 02:38 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#96Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:08pm

Oliver Twist said: "SARA RAMIREZ would be the ultimate MAMA ROSE!

Have they even been onstage since 2005? And wasn't there mega drama?  Not going to happen.

Jarethan
#97Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:26pm

Oliver Twist said: "SARA RAMIREZ would be the ultimate MAMA ROSE!

I hope not.  I have never gotten her appeal.

Re what it takes to be a great Rose, I would start with: strong acting ability, the ability to be very passionate but not overact, warmth, stamina, a strong singing voice that can belt with the best of them, and charisma.  A lot of talented and acclaimed people don’t have charisma.  Rose needs to be played by someone with charisma.

Oliver Twist
#98Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 1:04pm

Jarethan said: "Oliver Twist said: "SARA RAMIREZ would be the ultimate MAMA ROSE!

I hope not. I have never gotten her appeal.

Regarding what it takes to be a great Rose, I would start with: strong acting ability, the ability to be very passionate but not overact, warmth, stamina, a strong singing voice that can belt with the best of them, and charisma. A lot of talented and acclaimed people don't have appeal. Rose needs to be played by someone with charisma.

You are entitled to your opinion, but RAMIREZ remains my choice for MAMA ROSE on pure talent. All the outstanding artists mentioned are treasures, but to deny Ramirez's appeal, vocals, and acting gifts is odd. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8vabJUeIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRME2-Gk1nM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MPILU14Ss

"

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#99Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 1:21pm

The key thing about a Rose to me, not that I've suggested any candidates, is that she not be Arthur Laurents' cartoon (which Ke3 brought up elsewhere in this thread, and which Sondheim himself remarked on in Finishing the Hat). None other than PalJoey informed my thoughts on this one several years ago, and I trot it out whenever such a thread occurs.

Regardless of the performer, they must remember this rule: if you play the human, the monster will be more impactful when it emerges. If you play the monster from page 1, the audience will grasp your ability to play monstrous and nothing more. (See: Imelda Staunton and, to a certain extent, La LuPone.) 

Or, to put it another way, everyone that is close to her in this show before they, too, reach a point of no return with her had to like her, or something about her, to be willing to put up with everything that is Rose. Gypsy is not Mommie Dearest Meets Stockholm Syndrome: A Study in Vaudeville.​​ If you're playing Rose a hair away from a "dance mom" from the word go, unsympathetically, the show's dramatic base will crumble, even if your voice rivals Merman's.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 1/28/23 at 01:21 PM

Videos