Overrated Musicals?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#75re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 6:45pm

"I don't think Miss Saigon is overrated. People who aren't theatre fans barely know about it, from my experience."

Miss Saigon had one of the biggest contravesal openings in Broadway history, it made news headlines around the world. Cam Mac was ready to pull the production. People knew about this production!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 6:58pm

Gray Gardens was a good musical with 2 stellar performances. To call it a classic & start saying novenas to it is amazing to me.

Poster Emeritus

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#77re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 7:06pm

Any musical made in the past 5 years.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

FinalDestination Profile Photo
FinalDestination
#78re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 7:37pm

As much as I love the shows:

Spring Awakening
Wicked

Love them, but they get publicity they don't deserve.

"That's a good point. Next time I pee on a Starbucks couch and throw straws and napkins at a barista, I'll just yell, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME OUTSIDE OF STARBUCKS! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!" and that should do it. "-LizzieCurry

Allshowsrock
#79re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 7:41pm

SA
POTO
Lion King
Avenue Q
And WICKED...WICKED is my all time favorite show...it has IMO the most emotional filled music, a awsome book (true it does have flaws...but no show is perfect) and wondederful effects, but I just dont like how its only 4 years old, and the producers already have 3 productions that are out of the USA, AND 4 productions in the USA. Its my favorite musical...its just spreading out to fast.

FinalDestination Profile Photo
FinalDestination
#80re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 7:43pm

"a awesome book"?

Come on Allshowsrock, GRAMMAR, GRAMMAR!!

"That's a good point. Next time I pee on a Starbucks couch and throw straws and napkins at a barista, I'll just yell, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME OUTSIDE OF STARBUCKS! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!" and that should do it. "-LizzieCurry

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#81re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 7:52pm

*Yawn* Mbmusic, I can dislike any show I wish. Les Miserables is pretentious, and Valjean should have just died already. and I know what you're playing out in your mind "Blah blah Valjean redemption, blah blah," die already. The show has a French pop score with one theme repeated over and over again. If you read the reviews when it came out, it was mixed, not glowing like you seem to play out in your mind, there are some redeeming qualities though, it has given every tone deaf teen in America and abroad a song to sing at their high school talent shows.

Thank you SporkGoddess for actually stating something useful, I have tried reading Les Miserables, but it is too slow moving for my taste.

Again Mbmusic, *yawn*

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like
Updated On: 1/4/08 at 07:52 PM

shiz_student94
#82re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 9:23pm

Rent, for sure. I adore the movie, but didn't care much for the stage version...and it is too much overrated.
Also....hence my user-name, i absolutley LOVE Wicked!! It's my favorite show! But honestly, it is so well known, even with people who don't know a thing about musicals! So I will admit that is overrated...
My last show...I haven't personally seen it, but I hear about people who see Spring Awakening quite often, and they rave about how good it is, and I can't see it being all that they rave it up to be.
Please don't be mad.....

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#83re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:04pm

I'd say Rent, Mamma Mia, and Spring Awakening.

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#84re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 11:09pm

Phantom. It's a nice story and the music is okay, so maybe it's just because I'm not a big ALW fan. I never really liked Cats, either.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#85re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:29am

Sound of Music. I went to a performance of the most recent Broadway incarnation, and was so bored I can't tell you anything about the production. Familiarity breeds a nap.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#86re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 2:34am

Just got back from Spring Awakening. Definitely over rated. The longest seven hours of my life!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

LifeofTheParty2 Profile Photo
LifeofTheParty2
#87re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 2:40am

Wicked. I liked it okay (some of the music is really enjoyable). But there are better shows. With better books. And better music.

Spring Awakening. Best Choreography?! Best Costumes?! Seriously?!

Legally Blonde. It feels, to me, like a hollow shell of the movie.

I also agree about Les Mis. I enjoyed the spectacle of it. I can't even say I dislike it, but I don't get all the hype.

Hmm...also The Lion King and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

And I have literally never met anyone who adored Rent the movie, and doesn't care for the stage version. Shiz student, you are certainly a first for me.

#88re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 2:59am

Cats

Debbie1313 Profile Photo
Debbie1313
#89re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:54am

Cats
Grease

kooky
#90re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:03pm

C A T S ----- that show to me was like droppings in a litter-box!

SporkGoddess
#91re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:06pm

rosscoe(au): But that doesn't mean that they heard the music or even liked it.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#92re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:12pm

Favorite review of Cats

It is like having a Cat piss on you for 2 hours

Poster Emeritus

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#93re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 3:48pm

And to add to my earlier list:

Cats
Les Miz

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#94re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 3:52pm

Wicked

Truly one of the most mediocre scores of the last 10-15 years.
Updated On: 1/5/08 at 03:52 PM

broadwayjim42
#95re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:05am

Lion King
Phantom
Les Miz
Wicked
La Cage Aux Folles

Varying degrees of disappointment, but I absolutely hated La Cage (the orginal) and after a magical opening number, The Lion King" just bored me to tears.

The others were disappointments based on raised expectations....more like a "is that all there is" kind of thing.

balletandbroadway
#96re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:16am

Cats
Phantom of the Opera
Wicked
Sound of Music

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."-- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#97re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 2:27am

This thread appears to be more about what you don't like, rather than what is overrated. For people to select The Sound of Music makes no sense. It was pretty much universally panned, so I wouldn't call that overrated. Yes, it was always a hit with the public, but by people who rate things, it would classify more as underrated.

For me, anything by Stephen Sondheim, with the exception of Follies, is overrated.

Allshowsrock
#98re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 3:14am

lol FinalDestination...I suck at grammer. But I think WICKED Does have a very well done script. Again I know it has flaws, but I've seen plenty of other shows on Broadway that have HUGE flaws, I just think WICKED is an amazing show, and a large reason why WICKED is constinatly bashed on here is because it is so over the top popular. And has a good reason to, evertime I see it, I ALWAYS see people leaving in tears, not just like 2 or 3 but a LARGE amount. (And if u bash me for my opinion that just shows your true colors as a jerk X(

exhalemusic Profile Photo
exhalemusic
#99re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 3:28am

Wicked. And I really enjoyed it, but it just wasn't what I wanted. The set and performers were all fantastic, the music was amazing, but it was such a spectacle I felt like I was "having delusions of grandeur" the whole time. Much of what I described is what brought Wicked all of it's acclaim, but it just didn't suit me. I just got lost in all of it, and although I was entertained, I left the show taking nothing from it.
For me, the ability to relate to he characters and really be moved by the material is most important. Call me a cliche, but RENT and SA are two of my favorite shows although they (especially SA) seem to be "hated on" the most in this thread. For me, they are raw, honest, and just really resonate with me. Perhaps my feeling will change as I grow older, I am only 20 years old.

Videos