pixeltracker

Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album- Page 5

Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album

SporkGoddess
#100Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 5:38pm

Matt and Trey have already expressed their feelings in South Park that they feel Mormons' beliefs are ridiculous, but they're really nice people.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 5/10/11 at 05:38 PM

rufussars Profile Photo
rufussars
#101Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 6:14pm

To reiterate what was sort of already said, neither Trey nor Matt are atheists; they just find the outlandish tale of Joseph Smith and his golden plates to be the most unbelievable of all religions. The show is totally pro-faith. Any other message in this type of show would come off as stale, unfunny, and just plain cruel.

As far as the Tony number, Kad has a point. Although "Along Came Bialy" may have seemed "messy" and "disjointed", it ISN'T a single song- it segues into a blissful Act One Finale with counterpoint and a recap of themes; this is exactly what "Man Up" does, hence why it would be an exciting showcase for every cast member as well as the score's affection for musical theatre. The problem with Tony-specific montages is that they are so often hurriedly thrown together that we barely get a solid 60 seconds of one particular song, making the whole presentation less fluid and the individual tunes less developed. And, though "Shrek" did it, I doubt they'd use "Turn It Off" since it's sung by just a featured actor. Our leads might as well order take-out and sit in the wings. "Hasa Diga" would be beyond pointless since fewer people than ever would be seeing the song uncensored due to the venue switch.

...And so, there I was at the stage door for "Equus". The enthused avalanche of "Harry Potter" fans was literally pushing me into the barricades. As I was thrust face-first into Daniel Radcliffe's hat, I suddenly felt the thumb of a lanky gentleman behind me pressing firmly into my back. It was then that I realized that both of his hands had Playbills, and that both arms were outstretched in front of me...

nomdeplume
#102Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 6:33pm

double post Updated On: 5/10/11 at 06:33 PM

nomdeplume
#103Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 6:34pm

Is there a song without "f#ck" in it to use at the Tonys?

I suppose they could just ring a doorbell every time the word "f#ck" is sung.

This show, at least from its songs, is not "pro-faith" at all. Certainly not pro this faith. If its creators do have faith in any religion(s) it's pretty obvious they are basically saying tongue-in-cheek that their religion or faith is so much more normal or worthy than what these "stupid Mormons" rely on. It seems intellectually dishonest to pretend or claim otherwise.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#104Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 6:54pm

nomdeplume- As a very religious person I was very apprehensive going to this show.

The show is not pro-religious (or at least not pro-organized religion) but it is very pro-faith. One of the central themes is that we find deep peace and comfort while believing in some crazy things.

The show does make fun of this particular religion (and others) but the actors, especially Rannells, perform in a very honest way. I know many Mormons, and when they explain their beliefs they say that they know it is hard to believe, but that that is part of faith.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#105Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 6:55pm

The finale is pretty uplifting and pro-God. They sing "Thank you God" numerous times.

nomdeplume
#106Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:01pm

Thanks, jacobtsf and JP2.

It's an interesting point of view. In India, whenever there was a battle, the victorious absorbed the conquered land without making the people change their religion. Hinduism is not really a belief in many Gods as perceived by Westerners. It is a belief there is one divinity which can be found through many paths.

Do you think that analogy is applicable to this show?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#107Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:05pm

That's pretty close to the show's moral, yes.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#108Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:07pm

Yeah, that is pretty close. We all interpret God (or whatever you wish to call it) differently (even those of us of the same faith), and Book of Mormon shows that in a pretty interesting way.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#109Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:11pm

Like SporkGoddess and Kad said before Parker and Stone basically believe every religion, along with Mormonism, is pretty ridiculous. Still, 'All About the Mormons?' is one of my favorite South Park episodes for giving their take on the origins of Mormonism while also showing the followers as kind people who are pretty harmless. I am getting the same vibe from listening from the recording.
Full Episode

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#110Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:12pm

For the Tony performance, another idea would be to do "Two By Two" and then somehow segway into the encore of "Tomorrow Is a Latter Day". Just an idea but I think it could work. I would definitely want them to showcase the whole cast, but that is quite hard. I think if they figured out a montage to do it would work best.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#111Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:12pm

While in an ideal world they would be able to showcase the whole cast, the main point of a performance on the Tonys is to sell tickets. They want to impress the viewers. They are going to go for their funniest number without crossing the line into offensive territory. They will save that as a surprise for when people come to see the show. They want to appeal to as wide a spectrum as possible when they perform, so I doubt they will go for Man Up or All American Prophet for that. Those numbers are funny, but not out of context. They need to make the audience laugh, and their best bets for that are Two By Two and Turn It Off.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#112Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:15pm

Very good point bjh2114.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#113Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:43pm

Rufussars, I am pretty sure both Trey and Matt have self-identified as atheists, or at least agnostics who happen to find all religions absurd but their members fascinating.

I personally found Two by Two one of the least interesting songs in the show. I'm surprised so many of you would like to see it featured on the Tonys.

rufussars Profile Photo
rufussars
#114Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:38pm

I seem to recall that Trey and Matt have stated that they do, in fact, believe in a God...so, who knows. But, in any event, the show's moral is not "Mormons are ridiculous beings". I, too, am fairly religious, but didn't take offense with the takeaway message.

Yes, of course the Tony performance's end goal is increased ticket sales, but that doesn't mean they'd hastily exclude the principals for a couple extra laughs. If it's impressive they want, I still stand by the "Man Up" finale, although (as pointed out) it probably isn't as funny out of context. And, like Ourtime, I found "Two by Two" kind of lackluster, and it features the ensemble more than Rannells and Gad to boot.

...And so, there I was at the stage door for "Equus". The enthused avalanche of "Harry Potter" fans was literally pushing me into the barricades. As I was thrust face-first into Daniel Radcliffe's hat, I suddenly felt the thumb of a lanky gentleman behind me pressing firmly into my back. It was then that I realized that both of his hands had Playbills, and that both arms were outstretched in front of me...

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#115Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:50pm

*Possible Spoilers*

I know a lot of folks (here and many other places) have said that Book of Mormon is pro-faith. But I'm not quite sure I agree. At the end of the show, the Ugandans have been converted to the "Book of Arnold," but it's made quite clear that they recognize that the stories are just that - metaphors to guide them through life, not literal truth.

To me, that doesn't qualify as faith. There are many fictional stories that I find inspirational (like the one under discussion!), but I know they're fiction, so this isn't a matter of faith. It seems to me that the characters' explicit recognition of the stories as fiction seriously undercuts the claim that the show is pro-faith.

Anyhow, I might be all wet about this, but it's been on my mind since I saw the show.
Updated On: 5/10/11 at 08:50 PM

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#116Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:58pm

Is the end "Hello" sequence is like a fantasy? That's what I got from the transition into it.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#117Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:16pm

For the Tony performance- yes, it is important to be entertaining and get people interested. In the case of this show, I think the producers may very well take this opportunity to pick a number that says, "Look, our show is really fun and funny- but not the level of vulgarity you'd expect." For as many people are buying, or have bought, tickets based on Trey Parker and Matt Stone's involvement, I'm sure there are people that are staying away because of it and their reputation. This would be a good place to dispel some of that.

As for the Ugandans acknowledging the stories as being metaphorical, I got the impression that the overall message being conveyed was that it didn't matter if you believed religious lore to be true or not as long as you used the messages contained therein to make yourself happy. The Ugandans thought it was metaphorical, but at the end of the show the Mormon missionaries weren't in the same boat / Elder Price is possibly atheist.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Brywal88 Profile Photo
Brywal88
#118Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:21pm

I have seen the show and am not just basing this on the recording (which I love) but what i took away from the show is that it doesnt matter so much what you believe as long as you aim to do good in the world kinda the old you dont have to be religious to be a good person thing. Just what i thought and my other friends who saw the show with me basically agreed. I definitely see the show as pro-faith and definitely NOT anti religion or anti mormon. It basically say the stories dont matter just helping others and making the world better.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#119Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:33pm

"Does anyone else think that Sal Tlay Ka Siti sounds JUST like another Musical Theatre song? I can't put my finger on it."

It's "Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop.

goldenstate5
#120Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:46pm

Yeah, it's definitely a parody of "Something That's Green". Does "Making Things Up Again" sound structurally similar to "There Is Life Outside of Your Apartment" to anyone?

Man I can't stop listening to this album. Crazy good.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#121Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:51pm

on a side note, the show added two more swings to the cast: Valisia LeKea(u/s Nabulungi) & Douglas Lyons.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bwayfan7000
#122Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:51pm

I do see the "Making Things Up" and "Life Outside..." similarities. But that one is understandable, considering Bobby Lopez's involvement in BoM.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#123Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:52pm

I hadn't thought about it, but "Making Things Up Again" does sound similar to "There is Life Outside your Apartment" and they come in the same position (Act 2 openers) in both shows.

I confess that I found some of the borrowing other melodies funny (beginning of "I Believe" right out of "I Have Confidence") but I think it verges on being a little over the top.

bwayfan7000
#124Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:54pm

I think the referencing is somewhat subtle and very cute. What's great to me is what a MUSICAL THEATRE score this is. It's pop/rock-ish, but it's so refreshingly old-fashioned with its musical sensibility. And I think that a mainstream, very very popular musical comedy with this sensibility is very beneficial to musical theatre as a whole.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos