pixeltracker

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017- Page 5

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#100Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:01am

Butter Broadway said: "Is Phillipa Soo out of the running?

I believe so and predict:

Best Leading Actress Musical

Bette Midler - Hello Dolly

Patti Lupone - War Paint

Christine Ebersole - War Paint

Eva Noblezada - Miss Saigon

Denee Benton - Natasha Pierre

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#101Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:48am

You know the funny thing? I dare say that if Phillipa Soo had ended up in Comet over Amelie this season, she would have ended up being not only a lock for a nom but a possible contender for the win as well. Maybe the only real competition that Midler might have had. But instead she is pretty much out of the running for a nom AND I even venture to say that the mere MEMORY of her performance in the role could end up working against Benton. I know I put Altomare on my prediction list over Benton consistently because I always think to myself "Benton was good, but she was no Phillipa Soo." I know it's a bit of an unfair comparison, but I can't help but think about what could have been and I wonder is any voters that have seen both the early tent productions of Comet with Soo and the ART/Broadway one with Benton would have the same kind of response when it comes time to vote. Updated On: 4/4/17 at 01:48 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#102Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 2:44am

Here are my "over the top" and completely biased predictions for this category:

Bette will Win.

Ebersole and the Pone have 4 TONYS so they automatically get nominated.

If the young lady playing Kim (I can't spell her name) doesn't get a nomination for such a huge and dramatic role, she should quit the business.

Soo and Benton will probably get nominated because one of them was in HAMILTON and the other is playing a role played by someone who was in HAMILTON. Hell, I won't be surprised if HAMILTON gets nominated for Best Musical again (and wins), people are such sheep.

Osnes is more talented and beautiful than anyone should be, but I still don't understand how BANDSTAND transferred and HUNCHBACK didn't!  Maybe some year Osnes will get a show worthy of her.

Christy is also beautiful and talented but the handful of people who I know who have seen her show said it stinks, so Christy may have to wait also.

Those are my predictions, read 'em and weep.

I may just write in Donna Murphy, for landing the best job in Broadway Herstory. One performance a week as Leading Actress in a Musical in a big fat hit!

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 02:44 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#103Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 7:37am

As we've seen within the past two years, both lead acting in a musical categories were filled with nominees from productions that were nominated for Best Musical and/or Best Revival. So if The Great Comet does well on nomination morning, Denee Benton could likely go along for the ride.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#104Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:52am

As of now, I'd expect to see Bette, Christine, and Patti nominated for sure.  Honestly the other two spots are a tossup, but I'd be willing to put good money on Osnes (a two-time Tony nominee herself) as the 4th.  And honestly, if Barrett Doss is left in the leading category (she's above the title) for Groundhog Day, I'd expect to see her get in over Soo, Altomare, Noblezada, and Benton.

neonlightsxo
#105Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:00am

"And honestly, if Barrett Doss is left in the leading category (she's above the title) for Groundhog Day, I'd expect to see her get in over Soo, Altomare, Noblezada, and Benton."

LOL

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#106Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:08am

Noblezada didn't get particularly strong reviews, with most comparing her rather unfavorably to Salonga.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if she got Elena Rogers-ed in this category.  As of now, I think Bette, LuPone, and Ebersole are locks.  I'd expect Denee Benton to get the 4th slot, given how well Comet was received.  The 5th slot will either be Cristy Altomare, depending on the reviews she receives, or Barrett Doss, also depending on her reviews, with Soo being the dark horse for the 5th slot. 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#107Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:18am

I agree Jeffrey. It's also very possible Ebersole or Lupone get snubbed especially if their show isn't nominated. Also agree with adamgreer. Evita didn't get a nod but Osnes did. The same could very well happen this year. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#108Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:19am

I also don't think it's crazy to believe that Barrett Doss gets a nomination. Hers is a more limited role, but I think she's doing better work than Altomare, Benton, and Soo. I'm with the consensus that it's Bette's to lose, LuPone and Ebersole both get in, and from there....? I was personally very fond of Noblezada, but her reviews were weak. I haven't seen Osnes yet, but I've caught the others, and I'd give the other spots to Noblezada and Doss, but I think it's a crapshoot as to who gets the final slots this year after the divas land theirs. I'll place my bet for now on Benton and Osnes sneaking in.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#109Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:21am

neonlightsxo said: "LOL"

Well considering that Soo, Benton, and Noblezada all got pretty mediocre reviews, if Barrett receives good notices and the show has a lot of momentum (which I expect it to), I'd say she's got a good shot. Care to explain why you think that's laugh out loud funny?

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#110Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:05am

I haven't seen all of these shows so I can't speak for all of the spots, but I think that Noblezada more than deserves a nomination. She was incredible. She got middling reviews, but mainly just because of the controversy over the show itself and the fact that shes being compared to Lea Salonga, who was iconic.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#111Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:14am

dianamorales said: "I haven't seen all of these shows so I can't speak for all of the spots, but I think that Noblezada more than deserves a nomination. She was incredible. She got middling reviews, but mainly just because of the controversy over the show itself and the fact that shes being compared to Lea Salonga, who was iconic.

"

The problem is that she's not surpassing the work of Salonga. While her performance is excellent, she's not really leaving a new mark on the role. As mentioned, this feels very Patti Lupone-Elena Rogers to me. I think she deserves a nod, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen for her this year.

froote
#112Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:32am

My guess, in order of likelihood:

Bette Midler

Christine Ebersole

Patti LuPone

Christy Altomare

Denee Benton (on the strength of her show)

Alt: Phillipa Soo/Eva Noblezada

-

Doss doesn't have the role. Osnes' show is mediocre and she isn't carrying it alone like Soo, some people prefer Corey Cott.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#113Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:38am

We won't have a clearer picture until all the reviews come out, but at this point I think it's

Denee Benton, THE GREAT COMET

Christine Ebersole, WAR PAINT

Bette Midler, HELLO, DOLLY!

Patti LuPone, WAR PAINT

Laura Osnes, BANDSTAND

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#114Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:56am

Totally agree HenryTDobson. I think the final two spots will be fought between Altomare, Osnes, and Benton. 

Phillipa is boring in Amelie, Doss is not really in the running, and Noblezada doesn't give you anything new. And people recognize Benton is not as good as she should have been, although she is still in the running on the strength of her show. But I think Altomare and Osnes will get it.

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 10:56 AM

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#115Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:20am

My money's on: 

Midler, Ebersole, LuPone, Benton, Osnes, Noblezada ...in that order of likelihood.

With so many worthy contenders this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it went to six nominees. Christy Altomare could swap in for Osnes or Noblezada depending on reviews. (Altomare has the meatier role, but the Tonys love Laura Osnes.) I do think Denée Benton is a solid in because of the strength of her show, and I think Philippa Soo will unfortunately be snubbed. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#116Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:27am

adamgreer said: "Noblezada didn't get particularly strong reviews, with most comparing her rather unfavorably to Salonga. "

Yeah that's why I don't think she'll get nominated. I can't speak for Barrett since I barely know her role, but I have a feeling the producers will just focus on Andy for the Tony race.

froote
#117Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:37am

I have no idea why Altomare isn't being predicted by most, I think she's almost a sure thing and I expect the show to be received well in general.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#118Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:38am

froote said: "I have no idea why Altomare isn't being predicted by most, I think she's almost a sure thing"

I agree.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#119Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:17pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "froote said: "I have no idea why Altomare isn't being predicted by most, I think she's almost a sure thing"

I agree.

"

Me three. I've been saying this I saw her last year. Christy is very moving. She's very timid and easily triggered (her breakdowns are so sad), but she has fire in her. She controls that stage

PaulWom
#120Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 2:07pm

So confused as to why people are saying Denee is not giving a great performance in Comet-  I saw her a few weeks ago and she blew me away, and from what I recall, she got almost universal raves when it opens. Do a few posters on this board really change the impact of her performance?

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#121Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 4:47pm

Here's what I'd like to see happen:

Christy Altomare, Anastasia

Bette Midler, Hello, Dolly!

Christine Ebersole, War Paint

Patti LuPone, War Paint

Denée Benton, Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812

Now whether that will happen, remains to be seen.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#122Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 5:12pm

froote said: "I have no idea why Altomare isn't being predicted by most, I think she's almost a sure thing and I expect the show to be received well in general.

"

However good she may be, she's in a deeply problematic show. I could easily see some voters opting not to recognize the show, especially in categories where they have other options.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#123Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 5:23pm

Let's wait and see how Anastasia will end up being received on opening night.

froote
#124Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 5:46pm

I don't think Anastasia being 'deeply' problematic is the opinion of most people. At least not as much as Amelie, Bandstand, Miss Saigon and potentially Groundhog Day.

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 05:46 PM

Videos