pixeltracker

Jason Robert Brown and Julia Murney; All I can say is WOW!!!- Page 5

Jason Robert Brown and Julia Murney; All I can say is WOW!!!

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#100DESPERATELY SEEKING ONE TICKET FOR L5Y With JRB
Posted: 1/30/06 at 7:28pm

Oh dear, I was really hoping you guys were not still sick. I hoped to live vicariously through you. Now we are just all sick together. DESPERATELY SEEKING ONE TICKET FOR L5Y With JRB

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#101DESPERATELY SEEKING ONE TICKET FOR L5Y With JRB
Posted: 1/31/06 at 2:31am

The show was utterly amazing. I am sure others will post their reviews, but I will just say I would gladly pay to see it again tomorrow.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#102DESPERATELY SEEKING ONE TICKET FOR L5Y With JRB
Posted: 1/31/06 at 2:39am

SUCH A GREAT TIME! The crowd was completely into it. A lot of his students from USC were there which made it all that much better for me that it was on the UCLA campus DESPERATELY SEEKING ONE TICKET FOR L5Y With JRB

The songs are just so clever and amazing. His lyrics really tap into emotions everyone can relate to. They were appropriately funny at times and just so touching at others.

I was particularly impressed with Jason's rendition of "The Schmuel Song" and "If I Didn't Believe In You".

Julia, oh, Julia. I can totally see why she's taking over the Wicked tour. And I'm not totally convinced that she was able to vocally give it her all tonight and she was still amazing. Quite the comedian as well, so funny! At the end when they came back on stage for an encore Julia tripped over a water bottle that was by one of the stools and she just totally milked that situation for all she could... it was hilarious. I'm sure someone else could describe it much better than I can.

I'll be putting a picture up in the fan photos once I figure out how to resize the sucker, it's huge!! I didn't get a chance to say anything to JRB afterwards but I did bump into a few BWW posters which was great.

Not sure what else you guys would want to know so just ask if you have a particular question about the night.
Updated On: 1/31/06 at 02:39 AM

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#103DESPERATELY SEEKING ONE TICKET FOR L5Y With JRB
Posted: 1/31/06 at 2:49am

Just got home.....had a wonderful time!! I enjoyed every second of the evening. I was surprised by the younger crowd....I'm getting old! I was also surprised by a few lyrical changes, and how fast the time went by.

Kind of wondering if Julia will be able to pull off Elphaba in the vocal department (esp. Wizard and I, Defy Gravity and No Good Deed), but I'll see her soon enough in San Diego and in Costa Mesa.

All in all, a fun and special evening. I can't wait to hear more info on JRB's new musical 13....anyone know anything about it?

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#104A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 2:58am

Tonight's concert couldn't have been better. Both JRB and JM found layers and shadings in the songs that I hadn't heard or noticed before, as well as many moments of humor. JRB didn't need to leave the piano to perform magnificently. Of course he IS Jamie. And Julia Murney: now I know what all the fuss is about. She may well become the BEST Elphaba yet. Though presented in concert style, truly nothing was lacking in tonight's extraordinary production. Special kudos to the small but superb orchestra and the very effective lighting. I enjoyed meeting a number of BWW people, and being recognized by name by JRB was a special treat. This was well worth the expense, and sitting third row smack dab in front of Julia, I felt I had the best seat in town!

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#105A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 3:17am

How large is the theatre? What was the audience feedback? What were the demographics in the audience?

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#106A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 3:56am

About 500, and a full house. Lots and lots of college student age people (JRB's students?) and I was surprised not to see celebrities in the audience. (I did see Judith Light.) The audience response was tremendous. Loud applause and cheers upon JRB and JM's entrance, after each song, and at various moments where something "worked." An immediate standing ovation at the end, which lasted a couple of minutes, after which JRB delighted the crowd with I Could Be In Love With Someone, cut from the show but on his CD.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#107A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:53am

Sounds like you guys had a phenominal time!

I'm sorry that I missed it. However if being awake and online at 3:52 am because I am still feeling like absolute ca-ca is any indication, I am not sure I'd have enjoyed it less than I should have.

Popular, if you send me the picture I'll resize it for you.

YouWantitWhen????
#108A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:25am

Patronus, you and your honey were missed. Where were you seats? Because I thought they were F2 and F4, and someone was sitting there, so I figure at least you sold them.

It was really, really fun. The time just flew by.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#109A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:51am

Thanks!! Resized and in the fan photos.
photo

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#110A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:53am

I want to say F1 and F3, but I don't have the tickets in front of me.

I wasn't able to sell them and didn't feel like figuring out other plans. I am bummed that I missed it, but I am thrilled you all had such a great time!

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#111A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:40pm

Hah...and so begins Popular's stalking of the NEXT tour Elphaba. :P

Akiva

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#112A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:53pm

I wasn't even aware I was stalking the current one. :P

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#113A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:12pm

Akiva, just wait till you get famous and you'll have your own stalkers (if not already). :)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#114A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:31pm

It's cool, Eslgr8.

Akiva was just kidding with me. By the way, hun, still hearing those Canadian vowels on your sould clips in the BWW Idol contest thread! A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#115A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:40pm

It was great meeting you eslgr8 and popular and I agree It was a great evening!

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#116A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 9:07pm

Great photo, Popular!!! It was so nice meeting you! It was a wonderful evening and I feel so fortunate to have been in the audience. Even my hubby, who went into the evening skeptical that he'd enjoy it was asking to listen to my cast recording on the way home. A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#117A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:46pm

And I'm not totally convinced that she was able to vocally give it her all tonight and she was still amazing.

What do you mean? (Well, obviosuly she was amazing... but was she sick or something?)

I wish i could've gone.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#118A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 1/31/06 at 11:34pm

You know, I'm not really sure how to answer that.

Not sick, maybe just a little vocally fatigued? We're talking just a VERY FEW minor moments that I felt that way, and I'm not sure that I would've even noticed except that she belted the same notes I felt that way about perfectly in the songs right before and after...so I KNOW that it was in her!

Does that make sense? And yes, she WAS amazing!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#119A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 12:09am

when it was not her turn and she blacked out she would drink a lot of water and swollow cough drops or somthing of the sort. I overheard her telling friends she strained her voice because of the rush. I think she handled it with such grace and I wouldn't have known if she hadn't been on stage the whole time.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

SavageBeauty Profile Photo
SavageBeauty
#120A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 12:40am

I thought it was a great performance too. Julia did say she was a little tired and afraid of straining her voice (and she pointed to her throat when Jason motioned for her to speak at curtain).
Her fanny in the air (perhaps she picked up some moves doing her Spice channel voiceovers!) swabbing of the stage was priceless.
And JRB was more talented than I expected! Did anyone else get the feeling that Julia totally could have upstaged him though :)

It was a nice mix of a crowd and overall a perfect way to spend a dark Monday for Reprise!

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#121A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 12:44am

I agree, Popular....there were moments of brilliant belting, and then times when I was wondering if she had a cold, because it sounded like a completely different voice. I must say her acting was spot on! Her comedic timing and portrayal of Cathy in a limited setting was wonderful. I can't wait to see her in green. I'm sure she'll be great.

I must say how impactful and talented those musicians were last night, and how amazing JRB was to play the piano, direct the others, AND be so animated in his songs! That is NOT an easy score to play, let alone sing!

I'm going to see this at the Chance theater, and am wondering why they don't have a violinist or other stringed instruments listed among their cast....the musicians last night really set the bar high for my expectations.

YouWantitWhen????
#122A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 1:42am

Popular and I actually discussed this after the show a little bit. It makes sense that she may have strained her voice a bit preparing. There were a few points in the show where she sounded a little tinny (if that makes sense) not totally robust. I was not sure if it was the sound or whether she was fighting something.

When she did not say a word after her songs were finished, and pointed to her throat, I figured that something was not 100%.

But, if that is Julia at less than 100%, than I can only imagine her at full strength.

It was a great show.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#123A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 2:33am

Julia's voice may have been a bit raspy when she belted a few high notes, but even 95% of her is better than 195% of most anyone else. I thought she was absolute perfection in the role. (I never understand how singers manage to sing so well when they're under the weather.)

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#124A SUPERB AND UNFORGETTABLE EVENING!!!
Posted: 2/1/06 at 9:25am

it sounds like it was an amazing evening.
popular, would you mind if i put your picture with julia on her site in the fans&friends section of the gallery?

Videos