pixeltracker

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....- Page 5

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#100re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 11:29am

The Broadway production DVD of 'Victor/ Victoria', Dame Andrews howling the end of 'Le Jazz Hot'. I cant watch this without slumping onto the floor in pain!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#101re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 12:02pm

How about La Streisand's yodel/riff at the end of "Don't Rain on My Parade" on the OBC of FUNNY GIRL?

I have numerous 'live' recordings of Barbra singing this during her run in FUNNY GIRL, and she NEVER did that 'live'.

re: vocal flubs

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#102re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 12:14pm

For me:

In Mermaid, when Sherie Renee Scott sings "I Want the Good Times Back", at the very end "I'll spring the trap" sounds like "I'll spring the track" to me.

And in 2008's Gypsy, at the end of "Some People", Patti's "But not Rooooooose" sounds nothing like Rose, more like Rogue. If you compare it to the next track - Seattle to LA - she does it again at the end but it actually sounds like "Rose"

actor2be
#103re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 4:41pm

on the soundtrack for 13:

it sounds like eamon foley cracks half way through his High F. it also could just be bad mixing...

also, during "All Hail The Brain" the harmony at the end is SOO off! at least 2 of the girls are sharp!!!

also, during Any Minute, Eric Nelsen seems to go sharp and flat all over, but during the acutal performance he was pretty good...

im not sure why these things werent edited out..?

rentheadca
#104re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 4:44pm

I noticed that in the 13 soundtrack too!
Chris Jackson breathes really loudly during Benny's Dispatch on the In The Heights recording. I laugh every time I hear it :p

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#105re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 4:52pm

as far as bad mixing/editing...
On the Jekyll and Hyde concept album with Anthony Warlow, during the "Confrontation" the man sings/talks/laughs as Jekyll AND Hyde at the same time!

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

markus907
#106re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 5:13pm

With regards to the Company Stritch note everyone was talking about, that's not her singing. It's actually nobody singing. It's the actor playing Bobby, who screams during that entire long note. It's how the music is originally written, and not a mistake, by any means.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#107re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 5:24pm

For a discussion of whether "the 'love' note" in "Company" was sung live, or was prerecorded or electronically enhanced on opening night, see this thread:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=981394&dt=86&boardid=1

Whether or not Bobby was screaming during this note, well, this is the first I have heard of it!

BNN
#108re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 6:02pm

re: vocal flubs

Ok I can pretty much put the Company "love note" to rest, it is prerecorded in the original show, and the so called "screaming" is not Bobby/Dean Jones, it is Elaine Stritch and her poor/wonderful vocal technique.

This is a fragment of the original published score, and my does it reveal everything we've ever needed to know!

Tick Tock

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#109re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 6:22pm

"Has anyone else noticed that in "dancing through life" on the wicked obc norbert is COMPELTELY flat on his long note on "life"...."and learn to live the unexamined life" it's near the beginning. it bugs me EVERY time."

YES! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. And I love him, but that note always makes me cringe.

Other things-- Sean Palmer on the Little Mermaid Broadway recording pronounces the word 'water' as 'wah-uh.' I saw him live and he didn't say 'wah-uh,' so I don't know if he was about to say something else or if he was just informed by the director that he shouldn't do that anymore.

The beginning of the song "Sirens" on the OBC of Jane Eyre has a really odd note beginning it that doesn't sound like part of the same song. It's a woman sort of cutting off the end of a note. It might be the last note of the previous track or something.

This isn't a BROADWAY recording, but on the original recording of "Honk," when Ugly sings "I Thought I Knew What Beautiful Was" (a song that sounds terrific for the most part), he is hopelessly off-key on the long note 'yooooou', but manages to recover... by the end of the extraordinarily long note.

Also, is anyone else annoyed by the frequent breaths that David Bryant takes in weird places on the Les Miserables OBC, particularly during "A Heart Full of Love?" Come to that, I'm annoyed by him in general. He reminds me of a large lizard.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#110re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 6:30pm

Jerry Orbach in PROMISES, PROMISES -- flat, flat, flat, despite a wonderful performance. I had a friend in the show, and she said it was always understood that he simply could't help the flatness, and just ignored it.

Also, the sublime Ms. Peters on SONG AND DANCE -- the final note on "Unexpected Song" just isn't hers.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 10/20/08 at 06:30 PM

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#111re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 9:10pm

>> Also, is anyone else annoyed by the frequent breaths that David Bryant takes in weird places on the Les Miserables OBC, particularly during "A Heart Full of Love?" Come to that, I'm annoyed by him in general. He reminds me of a large lizard. <<

Do you know what the cure is? Listen to the OLC or 10th Anniv recording!

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#112re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/21/08 at 1:16am

By the way, the high note Eamon Foley sings is actually a high E, not a high F. I remember them all sounding more on key live, but then again that could be theatre acoustics vs. every flaw captured in a recording.

~Steven

thesondhead Profile Photo
thesondhead
#113re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/21/08 at 3:04pm

"On "The Wild Party" Recording (LaChiusa) in the song "People Like Us," the lyric goes:
People like us,
We get BY through the day...

On the recording it is sung:
People like us,
We get through the day..."

I just looked at the score, and the lyric is printed as "People like us: / We get thru the day." Perhaps the lyric was printed incorrectly in the CD booklet.

"I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking...someday all of this will have to be developed, carefully printed, fixed." - Christopher Isherwood

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#114re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/21/08 at 3:20pm

"Heart and Music", on A New Brain OCR. Whoever sings "...and tales of how romance survives"... it's almost like his voice doubles itself on "tales". I would guess what happened is that he did two takes and the editors accidentally put them both on there, but I'm not sure.

stagescreen Profile Photo
stagescreen
#115re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/21/08 at 3:28pm

One of the Dogpatch Wives in "Put 'Em Back" from LI'L ABNER (OBCR) accidentally says "put" when none of the other wives are singing...she confuses the part of the song where they sing "put 'em back" in canon with the other times (they don't.)

<---- You can see the crazy in her eyes. ;-)

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#116re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/21/08 at 3:58pm

>>Do you know what the cure is? Listen to the OLC or 10th Anniv recording!<<

Oh, believe me, I subscribe to that cure! I own three and a half recordings of Les Miserables (only a few songs from the OLC), and it makes me appreciate the lovely Michael Ball all that much more.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#117re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/21/08 at 4:44pm

The beginning of the song "Sirens" on the OBC of Jane Eyre has a really odd note beginning it that doesn't sound like part of the same song. It's a woman sort of cutting off the end of a note. It might be the last note of the previous track or something.

The previous track, "The Pledge", bleeds into "Sirens". Do you not have all of the songs?

LaMusicaVa Profile Photo
LaMusicaVa
#118re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/22/08 at 3:18pm

Not exactly a vocal flub, but on the OBC of 'My Fair Lady,' during 'I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face,' Rex Harrison works up to such a shout at the end of a line (I think it's "...slam the door and let the hellcat freeze!") that you hear his voice echo in the studio. Maybe he stepped away from the microphone or just got too loud for it!

On the OBC of 'The Sound of Music' Friedrich's voice cracks noticeably in 'Do-Re-Mi' and 'So Long, Farewell.' In 'Do-Re-Mi' it's on "La" during the fast carillon part ("Do mi mi, mi so so," etc.) The first time I heard it I laughed out loud, and I still can't help grinning a bit. It's funny, but cute too, and that's probably why they left it in. Then in 'So Long, Farewell,' his voice is higher-pitched and cracks on "leave and heave a SIGH and say goodbye." I put it down to normal voice changing, since the actor was about 13 at the time.

On film soundtrack, in the fourth verse of 'So Long, Farewell,' the lyric is "...auf wiedersehn, goodbye," and it sounds like someone said 'goodnight' by mistake.

On the 1999 Australian cast album, a live recording, Eileen Hannan as the Mother Abbess comes in almost half a beat late on the final 'dream' of 'Climb Ev'ry Mountain.' I think it was meant for effect, but ends up leaving a slightly anti-climactic feeling.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#119re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/22/08 at 3:25pm

CATSnyrevival-- that explains it! I only own "Sirens," though I plan to buy the rest of the cast recording for Christmas when I get a new iTunes gift card. I've heard the other songs on a certain website, but I never put two and two together there.

By the way, LaMusicaVa-- I noticed that sound of music one, too! Except I think it was Kurt, not Friedrich...

LaMusicaVa Profile Photo
LaMusicaVa
#120re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/22/08 at 3:53pm

Actually, it was Friedrich. In the original score the part was written for a treble (boy soprano) voice. The lines in 'So Long, Farewell' were switched in the movie and have been in several revivals since then (the 1998 Broadway one, for instance).

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#121re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/22/08 at 4:04pm

Oh yeah, you're right... for a second I got it confused with the film soundtrack.

I don't think I've said a single accurate thing all day...

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#122re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/22/08 at 6:23pm

In the MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG OBCR, during Our Time, Frank comes in late when he and Charley sing "Feel the flow / Hear what's happening". I used to think it was supposed to be that way (like it was being sung in a round or something), but that never happens again during the song. And now it just bugs the hell out of me.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

PiraguaGuy2
#123re: vocal flubs
Posted: 12/10/08 at 7:19pm

On the Into the Woods revival recording, Gregg Edelman flubs a line in "Any Moment". He goes, "Any moment is a-f-moment, when you're in the woods...", it sounds like he was about to say "feeling" or something.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#124re: vocal flubs
Posted: 12/10/08 at 7:53pm

Rosie in Grease.

Just...all of it.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Videos