News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine- Page 5

Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#100re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:54am

I saw both preformances today (wednesday 1/3)and I asked Lazar how his back was. He said it was doing better. I had asked him if this afternoon's preformance was his first one back and he told me that tuesday nite's was. I saw the show again at night and the understudy was on. I think that until he is fully healed on a two show day Lazar is only going to do one preformance. He also siad that the production staff gave him the green light to ease back into the show slowly cus they want him to be better.

Now, I think that Lea as Fantine is going to be a good idea. It was interisting, someone asked DRV today after the matinee sp? if she knew who was going to be replacing her. She said Lea.

Also, it was known prior to rehersals that DRV would be leaving early to do her other show. Her other show was planned before she even auditioned for Les Miserables.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#101re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:58am

Are there two Enjolras covers? Or is Sarich the only one? (He's the only one I've read about going on, anyway.)

I remember during previews someone posted the list at ATC, and I was surprised there was only one. Considering Lazaar's back/voice troubles lately, I was curious if someone had been bumped up since.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

smashingasian
#102re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:03am

A revival cast recording is a great idea.
Oh, on the discussion of the half-Filipino cast members, Adam Jacobs is also half-Filipino.

Article on Adam Jacobs

Great article musicaltheatre1! I especially loved the "Filipino time" tidbit in the end. As a filipina myself, it's great to see actors like Lea, Adam, and Allie on stage. I love how the revival cast is so culturally diverse!

I'm super excited that Lea is coming back to Broadway! I saw her in Flower Drum Song and her concert at Carnegie hall. Great casting choice! Can't wait to see the show =]

BudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
#103re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:03am

I'm so happy I caught Lazar in today. He was wonderful, and I couldn't tell at all that he had been injured. But I will need to see this again.

I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!

LizzieCurry
#104re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:08am

Doug Kreeger is part Asian, too! :)

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#105re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:32am

It’s pretty sad that people did not like her performance and that she is receiving all this hate. I spoke to her after the show today and told her that she was my favorite in the show and she seemed pretty pleased. Updated On: 1/4/07 at 01:32 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#106re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:44am

winston89, while it was known Daphne would be leaving to do another show, it was almost always set that she would return once that other show was done. Her not coming back was a decision that was made by either her or the creative team very recently.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#107re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 2:49am

I am very happy to see Lea make her way back to broadway, she will make a wonderful fantine.

Quick question: Since Lea is replacing Daphne, can she be considered for the Tony's this year? Because I think she has a good shot at a nomination.

#108re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:54am

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was too good to be true, and would turn out to be full of speculation and rumours. This is FANTASTIC!

I too am excited about how motherhood will affect her acting, especially playing such a hardcore mother! Also, though this is not certain, it is possible that Daphne's performance will inform Lea's, as I'm sure she will watch it at least once. Of course Lea will not go the exact same route, but she may take some sort of inspiration, ya know what I mean? DRV, love her or hate her, raised the bar for how much you can do with Fantine.

Already booked 6th row center orchestra on March 27! I'm so glad this works out perfectly with my Spring Break...

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#109re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:27am

This is the one thing the Les Mis people could do to get me out to see the show...

'cause heaven knows DAPHNE wasn't going to get me to the theater.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#110re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 5:03am

Are there two Enjolras covers? Or is Sarich the only one? (He's the only one I've read about going on, anyway.)

I'm starting to think this production has ranked understudies. Especially since Haviland Stillwell won't be going on as Fantine during the break between Daphne and Lea. There must be an unlisted second cover for Enjolras.

p.s.
#111re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 8:46am

Also Asian (Indian, I believe): Nehal Joshi -- Lesgles

p.s. And, Nehal is the Army Officer
(wonderful, booming voice at the barricade).

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#112re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 8:56am

"DRV, love her or hate her, raised the bar for how much you can do with Fantine. "

I sincerely believe the bar was lowered, not raised, by her performance. It's all the majority of the audience talked about at intermission, and afterwards, and it was all negative (what's wrong, is she ill??, etc). I believe those who loved it were in the minority, as judged by exteremely negative audience reaction during the performance, which was very unusual for any actress at any performance I've ever been to.

I'll be thrilled to see Lea in the role am am looking forward to it!

Sorry Daphne, you were just miscast here.... I'm sure your next role will fit your great talents much better.... Good luck!

Jyn326
#113re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:51am

aw, crap in a matter of minutes I was thrilled when I saw the headline, then dissapointed when it said Lea wouldn't be starting until March. I have tickets in late February.

Several people on here seem enthusiastic about Nikki, though, so that's good news. I'm not familiar with her, but I'm glad people are happy about her in the role.

LizzieCurry
#114re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:09pm

I've seen Nikki as Belle, and she was so much fun -- gorgeous voice. She also really stood out in Lestat, where her few solo lines were a breath of fresh air. (The rest of the cast was great, too, but there's something distractingly beautiful about her voice.)

WellIfYouInsist
#115re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:32pm

Do you mean her cute Armand Jr. part in "Live Like This" in the San Fran production? It was pretty toned down by Broadway but her voice on the just impeccably distinguishable melody the song had was so nice. <3

Edit:// My friend just sent me a video on The-Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named of her singing "Home" (but the one from The Wiz). Updated On: 1/4/07 at 04:32 PM

bwayfan4life
#116re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 5:18pm

I agree, Lea has a voice and a presence, this was a smart move, ticket sales will show it. I now have to find a way to get to New York.

It's gonna be a happy new year.......RENT
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 05:18 PM

LizzieCurry
#117re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 5:22pm

WellIfYouInsist , I think so. I can't remember a whole lot about which scenes she sang in -- apart from having lots of fun as the damsel in distress in Act 2 -- but I saw Lestat three times in SF (god help me) and each time I heard her, I thought, "Ahh." re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine

WellIfYouInsist
#118re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:05pm

Oh you poor dear!

Did you see it in NY too?
I admire your valiance. Updated On: 1/4/07 at 07:05 PM

LizzieCurry
#119re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:46pm

No, just San Francisco.

I couldn't staaaaay awayyyyyyy!

LizzieCurry
#120re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:28pm

Bumping because THIS is the thread that deserves to be up top...

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#121re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:53pm

I agree Lizzie....

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#122re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:57pm

This awesome news!!! re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine Love Lea and I know she'll be one of the best Fantine's ever!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

eatlasagna
#123re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/5/07 at 3:04pm

what was cool about Lea in Flower Drum Song was that she was FINALLY in a musical where she didn't die!!!!! just had to say that for some reason.. haha..

LizzieCurry
#124re: Tony Winner Lea Salonga to Join Les Miz as Fantine
Posted: 1/5/07 at 4:05pm

Filipino coverage: http://www.pep.ph/articles/views/11692/

Videos