News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

9to5 to close Sept. 6

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#125re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:56pm

I think this show holds a special place for the three leading ladies, if I were them and had to option to reprise on tour, I would take it.

MichaelUK92 Profile Photo
MichaelUK92
#126re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:06pm

MrJNLong: Thanks for replying. I understand what you're saying. I did feel, at time, SJB was trying to hard. I must have been confused with your argument, I was just trying to say don't disrespect a performer as they have been cast with a "dull and boring" role because that's the role they are playing. If you see them as "dull and boring" GREAT, they have portayed the character as they are meant to.

Thanks for your understanding and sorry, i didn't mean to offend.
I do, however think SJB is a great performer.

xyz123456
#127re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:15pm

I agree COMPLETELY. I saw 9 to 5, and I found it a little disappointing - although I enjoyed Allison Janney very much.

Often times I feel powerhouse vocals cause people to overlook acting - especially the role of Elphaba in Wicked. I believe Idina Menzel won a Tony Award for her vocals rather than her portrayal of the character. Tonya Pinkins gave a shattering portrayal of Caroline in Caroline, or Change, but struggled with the vocal load of the show. Ms. Block's stunning vocal abilities are probably what won her that Helen Hayes Award and are the reason she has so many fans. Unfortunately, I found her acting to be extremely "actory" and unnatural - very "stagey" and mannered.
There was no depth and I honestly felt nothing for her character. She sang the crap out of her big song at the end of the show, but even in the clip online you can see her unfortunate inability to be honest and true onstage in a role that she could have made very exciting. Of course, the writing was very poor, but she could have made much more of it. Its a shame because if her acting abilities matched her vocals, she would able to work wonders on stage.

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#128re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:53pm

I truly enjoyed the show when I saw it, especially the performances. I think Marc Kudisch's deliciously evil turn as Mr. Hart gets overlooked because of the three ladies and he is just SO watchable and you really do love to hate him. I saw his understudy the second time I saw the show and it really made me appreciate how much Kudisch brings to the table, there was just no comparison, IMO. As far as the three ladies, I've always thought the illustrious, beautiful, charismatic, stunning Allison Janney is by far the biggest STAR in this show. She's charming, witty, hilariously funny, and just really is one of the best comedic actresses we have around today. Megan also impressed me. People can fault her for doing a Dolly Parton impersonation but not only is that what she was directed to do, the part is entirely a homage to Dolly. I think Megan pulls it off so wonderfully, and is just a delight onstage. Stephanie is also wonderful, and very very talented, "Get Out and Stay Out" is always a stand-out (though IMO "One of the Boys" is the best number in the show and the crowd has always reacted the most favorably to that number when I've seen the show), but she is overshadowed for most of the show by the other two ladies, and by Marc. Her eleven o'clock number is really the only time she "shines" and stands out above the rest, and it's only because of her vocal acrobatics. She's an incredible, incredible singer, but I think her acting is just "okay". I definitely don't think she was "snubbed" a Tony nom, for example. But even still, hearing her sing is really thrilling. She's got one hell of a voice.

I'll definitely be attending closing night, and will be sad to see this show go. Every single member of the cast from Allison Janney down to ensemble members like Neil Haskell, Spencer Liff, and the underrated and underappreciated Tory Ross are top-notch. And I just have to say, Andy Karl is absolutely divine in this show. What a smooth, incredible voice, and what a hot body! Yum.

sipos
#129re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:13pm

I'm truly happy to have the chance to see it in August, and hopes the love outshines the rest of the comments for this show.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#130re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:16pm

I just came back from the box office and got my tickets for the last performance. Looking forward to it!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#131re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:33pm

It sucks to be in Fort Worth and not see a Broadway show... Hopefully it comes to Bass Hall like "Legally Blonde" and "Grease" are.

Much love to the cast and crew... especially Dolly. I ordered my OBCR (mom's friend didn't pull through) and cannot wait! Listened to it full on Rhapsody and I have fallen in love. Hopefully the rights come out when I graduate after 2011... then I could convince my professor to produce it! That's probably when the rights wil be released consiedering they're doing the tour now. Hairspray's right aren't even up for grabs yet.

TheatreDork2
#132re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:34pm

Hairspray is still touring and will be for at least another year.

jacobsnchz14
#133re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:49pm

I know. That's my point. The rights still aren't available even though they are listed on MTI's catalog. I think Avenue Q is the same. Updated On: 7/30/09 at 04:49 PM

TheatreDork2
#134re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:54pm

The rights are available just very restricted.

jacobsnchz14
#135re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 5:03pm

Okay, I didn't understand that part. I know they are restrcted... but does that mean a high school could perform it now? That's what I thought you were saying.

TheatreDork2
#136re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 5:09pm

There has been a high school production with the help of Marc Shaiman & Scott Wittman themselves. I don't see any old school getting, but if it's a high profile school there could a chance.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#137re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/30/09 at 6:12pm

Very sad to see it close! Such a talented cast. It was especially nice to see Andy Karl have a featured part and sing such a beautiful love song with the incomparable Allison Janney (who definitely stole the show, IMO). I'd love to see Andy do more Broadway, he really deserves some "leading man" type roles, lord knows he has the talent, the charm, and the looks! I could also see him playing some John Krasinski-esque parts in TV & films. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what he does next :)

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#138re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:12am

I'm actually really surprised. I didn't hear anything about it doing poorly enough to shoot in into setting a closing date. But, I heard from SJB that she was scared it was going to close soon anyway. Sad. I actually really enjoyed this show when I saw it. I had SO much fun! I hope the cast moves on to great things. Best of luck!

I wonder what till take over the Marquis...

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#139re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:00am

sigh, unfortunately it was clear this was gonna happen re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6 I'm dissapointed, maybe I'll go again.

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#140re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:05pm

"there are parts of Shrek SJB could do very well in"

Not wanting Stephanie J. Block in Shrek is not that she wouldnt do well in it.. It's a matter of her being above the show.. haha

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#141re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/2/09 at 9:47pm

In case anyone is wondering, Steph made it clear at the stage door to the person who asked this afternoon that she won't be doing the tour.

So sad to see this show go re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Updated On: 8/2/09 at 09:47 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#142re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/2/09 at 9:48pm

Hopefully Stephanie will find good work after the show (my same wish goes for the rest of the cast, as well).

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#143re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 4:19am

I saw 9 to 5 today. The score was pretty dull (I cant remember 1 song, except for the title song of course!) and the book was all over the place (did anybody else love how they would be talking about one thing, then the next line would be about a completely different topic?). The sets were too massive for the show, I mean, does a musical that takes place in an office building need to be a specticale in terms of set menuvering? (spelling, sorry). The show could have been fine with some simple technical cuts that would have greatly reduced running costs.

Overall the show was enjoyable and fun. Great performances. If you're gonna try and see it before it closes, try the lotto. I won today, and the seats were actually very good. If not the lotto, go to tkts or order cheap seats in the back of the balcony. Expensive tickets to this show just arent worth it.

I'll take the wind and soar.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#144re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 4:40am

Allison Janney was at Ave Q Sunday evening. She seemed to love the show. (Damn she's tall in person!!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#145re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 12:29pm

^Yes she is tall! I've seen her in person before, but that was only when she was on stage (at Broadway Barks and the Tonys). Last week I was walking up 45th and after I passed the 9 to 5 stage door and that little Broadway shop, I saw this TALL woman walking towards me. It was Allison. I hope she didn't notice me bugging out a little bit. She is TALL. re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#146re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 2:04pm

When I met her, I was happy to finally meet a girl taller than I am! I'm not that tall, but I'm taller than all my friends, and she dwarfs me! And what a sweet, classy lady. I'm sure she didn't have all the time in the world, but she was more than happy to quote my favorite West Wing scene with me (buttercow, buttercow...), and tell me where her really cute shirt was from, and pose for a picture. Reinacting the buttercow sequence with her now ranks as one of the coolest moments of my life! And major points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

The one time I saw her with other fans, somebody asked her to do the jackal! And it wasn't me. It made me laugh REALLY hard.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#147re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 2:09pm

MassOfMen- What were you right about ROA??

broadwayjim42
#148re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 2:16pm

I thought SJB was just fine in the show but in terms of the part itself, it's by far the worst of the three major roles. Judy was one of Jane Fonda's rare truly bad movie performances and proved she does not have a flair for broad comedy, so seeing SJB make anything of the role on stage is an accomplishment.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#149re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 2:22pm

Allison Janney was at Ave Q Sunday evening. She seemed to love the show. (Damn she's tall in person!!)

Her height was a frequent joke on The West Wing.

Videos