pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 6

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#125COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 12:56pm

Can Ariana DeBose sing the role of Celie? Seems a bit out of her range.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#126COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 1:03pm

ACL2006 said: "Can Ariana DeBose sing the role of Celie? Seems a bit out of her range."

I was thinking the same thing. Ariana is obviously very talented, but Celie doesn't really seem like her type of vocal role. Stranger things have happened, but I'm hoping we'll get an up and comer for this.

Wildcard
#127COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 3:25pm

At this point, I'm guessing Ariana's agent will probably be discouraging her from taking more musical roles to avoid being typecast. She isn't the Celie-type physically either

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#128COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 5:06pm

I haven’t read the book in years—is there any language of light skinned/dark skinned when describing Celie? 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#129COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 5:32pm

Could Alex Newell pull off Sophia?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#130COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 5:37pm

My friend said Lizzo as Sophia and I now can’t stop thinking about it.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#131COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:05pm

The special is on now and I have a feeling this cast will include Fantasia, Danielle Brooks, Taraji P. Henson, H.E.R., and Corey Hawkins. The release date is still slated for December 2023. Which makes me wonder if Wicked is aiming for Halloween 2023 to not compete directly, but still be eligible and in the eye for awards season. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#132COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:22pm

Crossing my fingers that Oprah also announces that someone will be writing a new book and a new score for the musical. 

Jordan Catalano
#133COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:27pm

OH DAMN - FANTASIA!!!! 

im interested again 

Jordan Catalano
#134COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:27pm

Fantasia is Celie

Danielle Brooks is Sophia

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#135COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:31pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Fantasia is Celie

"

I need to see this. I’m still kicking myself that I missed the revival, and I loved reading the book.

Oh look, a bibu!

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#136COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:31pm

Danielle and Fantasia I am in!!! Mostly for Danielle, as she is such an underrated actress who brightens whatever she is in. She carried the emotional core of Orange is the new black, she was fantastic on Broadway, her Shakespeare in the park performance was the spectator, and now in Peacemaker she steals the show!! I can’t wait to see her Sofia immortalized on film!!

Lin Olivo Burns
#137COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:33pm

We get it, Jordan, you don’t like the musical. Odd you like the tonally inconsistent and Alice Walker-derided Film adaptation, which fails to capture the love between Nettie and Celie that’s one of the pillars of Walker’s masterpiece, a key aspect of the novel the Broadway adaptation beautifully realizes and never forgets about.

I thought the Erivo-led revival showed what a stunning adaptation of Walker’s prose this musical is. I do worry its theatrical conceits (church ladies, the conversations between Celie and Nettie, etc) will get lost on film. The casting of Henson and Hawkins is spot on. Can’t wait to see who else will join them. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#138COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:33pm

Having seen them both on stage in these roles, I'm very happy with this casting. Apart from the fact that Fantasia is older than I expected them to cast, I'm surprised they got it so right.

Updated On: 2/3/22 at 08:33 PM

BritCrit
#139COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:35pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Fantasia is Celie

"

It's an admirable risk to choose two actors from the stage version (One of whom is a real rising star, one of whom is often dismissed as an American Idol winner from long ago). Of course, both will do really well with the songs, and I think this is a musical better suited to stage stars than some other recent movie musicals I could mention...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#140COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:40pm

WOW. I’d love to know why Cynthia isn’t doing it. But I’m not disappointed in these choices.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#141COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:42pm

It’s actually not odd, Burns. And if you “get it” and also know my feelings on the film then I’m going assume you know and remember my posts (which I don’t even remember so i obviously made an impression on you) where so broke down my feelings. But…you get it. 

BritCrit
#142COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:42pm

binau said: "WOW. I’d love to know why Cynthia isn’t doing it. But I’m not disappointed in these choices."

One Word: Elphaba. Assuming both Color Purple and Wicked are shooting over the summer, there will be too much clashing for Erivo to do both. I'd love to see her sing "I'm Here" on the big screen, but I am confident Fantasia Barrino can do justice to that song...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#143COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:43pm

binau said: "WOW. I’d love to know why Cynthia isn’t doing it. But I’m not disappointed in these choices."

When this film will be in production, she’ll be filming Wicked. Although who knows when that one will be released.

Oh look, a bibu!

Wildcard
#144COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:44pm

I'm sure Cynthia was offered the role first and I get why she would have passed on it, besides the scheduling conflict with Wicked. Wicked will no doubt be a bigger hit. I do wonder, Celie is more of an award-winning type movie role IMO (compared to Elphaba which will be looked at as a blockbuster type part), will Cynthia be kicking herself if Fantasia gets an Oscar nomination for this? That said, I do think Cynthia will have many more opportunities in the future to bag another Academy nomination.

Jordan Catalano
#145COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:44pm

During Fantasia’s run in the show, I don’t think I remember one single person ever not saying they were blown away. She truly elevated the material and I’m fascinated to see how that translates on the screen, now. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
RW3
RW3
Jordan Catalano
#149COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/3/22 at 8:50pm

At least they’re getting real singers for the roles. 

Videos