pixeltracker

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 6

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

ElephantLoveMedley
#125& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 9:18pm

Well, I’m at intermission of what is about to become the talk of the town. This team has a massive hit on their hands. I am blown away so far by how clever, funny, and colorful this show is. The production is absolutely massive in scale and the performances are so great. Truly exhilarating so far and I don’t want it to end.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#126& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 10:45pm

The show is already in perfect shape, I really can’t even imagine where they’d have room to improve. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#127& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 10:47pm

What a good problem to have.

Jordan Catalano
#128& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 10:48pm

The show is already in perfect shape, I really can’t even imagine where they’d have room to improve.

There’s no significant changes from London besides a few lines here and there, for people wondering. I could also write a book on how brilliant Betsy Wolfe is in this show, too. She’s never been better - and she’s been great before. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#129& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 10:52pm

Jordan Catalano said: "The show is already in perfect shape, I really can’t even imagine where they’d have room to improve.

There’s no significant changes from London besides a few lines here and there, for people wondering. I could also write a book on how brilliant Betsy Wolfe is in this show, too. She’s never been better - and she’s been great before.
"

Did you see Max at all?

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
#130& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 10:53pm

Max Martin? He came out at curtain call. 

jacobsnchz14
#131& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 10:53pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "The show is already in perfect shape, I really can’t even imagine where they’d have room to improve.

"

Did you see Max at all?
"

@BwaySHO on Twitter mentioned that she is sitting near Max and Bill Sherman. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#132& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:06pm

That was an absolute smash. This was my first time seeing the show (didn’t see it in London or Toronto) and it is just an absolute delight. It is colorful, vibrant, exuberant—and just plain HAPPY. 

The ensemble has to be the hardest-working ensemble on Broadway right now. Energy through the roof with some super demanding choreography. 

Betsy freaking Wolfe is a STAR. She delivers a master class in perfect, delicious line delivery and got an attempted standing O after “That’s The Way It Is.”

Meanwhile, Lorna Courtney DID get a full standing O after “Roar” and man, was it well-deserved. The voice on that girl is unreal and she carries herself as the center of the show beautifully. 

Melanie La Barrie is also going to be one to watch for this awards season. Her Nurse is absolutely hysterical. 

I just was blown away at how clever the whole thing was. The book is razor-sharp and every time a song started I was taken aback by how cleverly they wove that song into the story. Nothing felt canned or obvious. 

One of my favorite new musicals in years and I couldn’t be happier this delightful show is on Broadway. I hope this becomes a big ol’ hit. 

Jordan Catalano
#133& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:12pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "I just was blown away at how clever the whole thing was. The book is razor-sharp and every time a song started I was taken aback by how cleverly they wove that song into the story. Nothing felt canned or obvious.

One of my favorite new musicals in years and I couldn’t be happier this delightful show is on Broadway. I hope this becomes a big ol’ hit.
"

These were pretty much my exact feelings leaving the theater for the first time in London. I honestly believe it’s the most well crafted jukebox musical ever written. Every song does seem like it could’ve been written for the scene it’s in. And yes, this show honestly just makes you happy & I love that since there are so few that can just be described as “joyous”.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#134& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:13pm

Well, there is a second act song that is forced in and superfluous even if sort of set up earlier in show. It also was the moment in London that I think I laughed and smiled the most. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#135& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:24pm

True to the spirit of the musical, sounds like I need to consider giving it another chance with this kind of praise. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood when I saw London video footage. 

All that I'm asking is one more try.

Oh look, a bibu!

spicemonkey
#136& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:30pm

Wondering what merch are available for purchase at the theatre 

jacobsnchz14
starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#138& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 1:44am

What an absolute, utter delight this was. Various stages of Covid cancelled multiple trips I had planned where I was supposed to see this in London, so tonight was nearly three years of waiting and holy crap, was it worth it. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#139& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 4:54am

How very exciting to have 2 fall musicals (this & Kimberly Akimbo) capture so many hearts!  Veterans day weekend, we're seeing both...along with Leopoldstadt!  Hoping my expectations to be blown away won't be too high to meet!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 10/29/22 at 04:54 AM

JasonC3
#140& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 5:04am

Glad to hear the early raves as I found it pretty banal and tedious in London despite the energetic and talented cast.

yyys
#141& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 7:43am

I enjoyed it in London and normally not a fan of jukebox musicals....

JasonC3 said: "Glad to hear the early raves as I found it pretty banal and tedious in London despite the energetic and talented cast."

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#142& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 11:43am

I saw this last night and it was fun. The audience definitely had a ton of energy and the cast was so excited to be onstage. It’s a fun night out for sure. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#143& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 2:58pm

& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News ThreadLooks like a fun one!

I think getting Lorna and the company to perform "Since U Been Gone" with Kelly Clarkson would be a good promotion for this show, after hearing that FIRE bonus track on the cast album. The Grammys, perhaps?

Oh look, a bibu!

qafgenius122
#144& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 1:21am

I rushed it for first preview on Friday night via Todaytix and got in. I was seated Row A Seat 7 in the orchestra. So 4 seats off the aisle on the house left side. I was very concerned going in that the seat would be partial view, as I had a similar seat for Mrs. Doubtfire (on the other side) and my view was horrible. However, I am delighted to say that the view is hardly partial and I missed practically nothing. The only downside is not being center and seeing the full stage picture but I wasn't bothered. I love being close and had some fun interaction with the cast during the "pre-show" warm up bit.

As for my experience, I went in knowing little about the plot, but have listened to the London cast recording, so I had some faint ideas of what happens. Though I never did a listen through from beginning to end. I just knew I was ready to hear some of the big numbers (Roar, Since U Been Gone, and Show Me Love being some of my faves) 

I had so much fun. Thats the best word I could use to describe the show. I don't think its perfect, but its tight, and has some real standout performances. Lorna Cortney, Betsy Wolfe and Melanie La Barrie could all expect Tony noms come June. (On that note though, how on EARTH did David Bedella win the Olivier for Lance?! (the part that Paolo Shot is playing here) I cannot fathom that having seen how seemingly small his part was here. I need someone who saw it in London to explain!

While the ensemble works so hard, and the choreography is NO JOKE, I didn't love all of it. I also found the part of the stage that rose a couple feet off the ground once in a while, a bit eh. Even though I get it for most of the numbers it was used in. The set was a bit bare, and I did not like the "curtain" that are down for scenes changes, but considering this is Shakespearean times, I guess I can forgive it being a bit bare. I also found the projection back wall a bit cheap and unnecesary.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Ben Walker (even though he struggled a tad vocally during "Problem/Cant Feel My Face"& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread and Philippe Arroyo as Romeo and Frasncois, respectively. Fantastic voices and comedic pseudo love interests for Juliet. I did find Justin David Sullivan a bit weaker vocally, even though they play the part just fine. I wanted the queer character to blow (get it?!) me away.

I don't often go to First Previews, but I figured with the cast album out, and a London production running, plus Toronto,  I didn't see the show undergoing many changes, and it likely doesn't need to. It's in really good shape. This show should stick around for a while, but I will be curious to see if it needs to complete with Moulin Rouge for the jukebox audience.

End of the day, I can easily recommend this show, and look forward to seeing it again after opening. SO MUCH CONFETTI!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#145& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 3:04am

What age would you recommend for this? Is it inappropriate at all? Thanks I’m advance.

Dolly80
#146& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 4:07am

Glad to hear so many people are enjoying it in NY.

In London I found it a tedious bore. Full of woke nonesense and cod female empowerment. Not helped by one of the smuggest lead performances I’ve ever seen from Miriam Teak Lee. And the sub plot of May, probably the worst performance I’ve ever seen on stage.

It sounds like it’s all been greatly improved just by the cast you have there. Love Betsy Wolfe and glad that she’s getting so many mentions already.

ElephantLoveMedley
#147& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 9:38am

DramaTeach said: "What age would you recommend for this? Is it inappropriate at all? Thanks I’m advance."

I don’t recall anything inappropriate. I think this is perfectly suitable for families with young kids. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#148& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 9:40am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "DramaTeach said: "What age would you recommend for this? Is it inappropriate at all? Thanks I’m advance."

I don’t recall anything inappropriate. I think this is perfectly suitable for families with young kids.
"

Thank you!

InTheBathroom1
#149& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 10:14am

Saw this last night via TodayTix Rush (seat B7 right at 9am) and have to echo what everyone else is saying this is a stellar night at the theatre. 

It’s so smart and fun and funny. I believe this may be the best jukebox musical out there.  The songs and dialogue are interwoven so seamlessly and the songs actually make sense/serve the plot. In fact, if a person  went into this after never having listened to the radio before, they might think this is an original score winner. 

The performances are pretty uniformly great but Betsy Wolfe nearly walks away with the show for me. She’s hysterical and sounds so good. Lorna Courtney is a true star. My god that voice and presence is so remarkable. And loved Philippe Arroyo as Francois—so charming.  Exceptional ensemble. 

Great sets, lighting, and costumes. The sound design is exceptional.  You can feel the music pumping through you. 

This is definitely a big hit. Tbh it’s definitely giving what MR thinks it’s giving. 

After seeing this and Kimberly in the same week, I feel so excited about musicals again. 

Videos