pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 6

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#125The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/7/23 at 6:54pm

Wayne Brady has come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

"To me, pan means being able to be attracted to anyone who identifies as gay, straight, bi, transsexual or non-binary. Being able to be attracted across the board. And, I think, at least for me for right now, that is the proper place. I took pan to mean that not only can I be attracted to any of these people or types physically, but I could be attracted to the person that is there."

Dom P
#126The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/7/23 at 7:04pm

I just really have to say I hope they don't s#$%w this up. So many people really love this show. To bring it on the road and into NY in anything less that tip top shape would really stink.

Dom P
#127The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/7/23 at 7:07pm

Dom P said: "I just really have to say I hope they don't s#$%w this up. So many people really love this show. To bring it on the road and into NY in anything less that tip top shape would really stink.

And I realize Entertainment is a business, but there is a right way and wrong way of doing

Updated On: 8/7/23 at 07:07 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#128The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/7/23 at 7:30pm

Dom P said: "Dom P said: "I just really have to say I hope they don't s#$%w this up. So many people really love this show. To bring it on the road and into NY in anything less that tip top shape would really stink.

And I realize Entertainment is a business, but there is a right way and wrong way of doing
"

I agree with the sentiment and want every show to be good (especially this one) BUT The Wiz has endured despite a bad movie, a not-great NBC musical, and a book that was never great to begin with. Which indicates that whatever form it arrives in, it'll still be loved by many.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#129The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/7/23 at 7:32pm

In reality I think I’d like to see a production of The Wiz with the original score intact instead of songs getting cut and added as they have through the years with the movie, The Wiz Live and other revivals. But since this production is utilizing an updated book and new arrangements and orchestrations I’m doubtful this will be the revival of The Wiz I’ve been waiting for. But it’s part of my season subscription so I’m still planning to see it. At the very least I’m curious to see what they do with the design elements.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#130The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/8/23 at 8:27am

Listening to an interview with Kandi Burruss this morning, and there is so much care and passion going into this production (and from all sides). She stressed that it was really important for her to get all the right people both onstage and off, and that they will be switching things up a little bit after the tour for the Broadway engagement. So here I am, with fifteen tabs open trying to schedule multiple stops/shows 😂

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

teddy1996
#131The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/9/23 at 9:31pm

i hope the emerald city ballet has choreography similar to this: 

https://youtu.be/TXOwzaKuzDY

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#132The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/9/23 at 10:04pm

“Listening to an interview with Kandi Burruss this morning, and there is so much care and passion going into this production (and from all sides).”

Now I know we ain’t trusting Kandi Burruss for anything…

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#133The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/9/23 at 10:13pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Listening to an interview with Kandi Burruss this morning, and there is so much care and passion going into this production (and from all sides). She stressed that it was really important for her to get all the right people both onstage and off, and that they will be switching things up a little bit after the tour for the Broadway engagement. So here I am, with fifteen tabs open trying to schedule multiple stops/shows 😂"

Can we get Kandi for the tour?!

B212323
#134The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/10/23 at 9:09am

ACL2006 said: "Yes, Let's Make A Deal typically films their season from June-Sept. Maybe CBS gets a temporary host to fill-in for Brady? Or Brady ends up dropping out of The Wiz?"

They're casting for contestants now so they may have moved the schedule around

GiantsInTheSky2
#135The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/10/23 at 10:25am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Now I know we ain’t trusting Kandi Burruss for anything…"

…and why is that? 

AEA AGMA SM
#136The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/10/23 at 4:02pm

Robbie2 said: "I predict early April and as said in my last post - I bet, the St. James! Since it's a limited engagement after a tour and not an open end run can it be nominated for revival?"

The only thing that would make it ineligible is if the producers choose to not invite the nominators and voters, or it closes so quickly that not enough of the nominators or voters are able to see it. Other than that the length of the run does not affect eligibility, whether the run is short because it's a strictly limited engagement or because business is abysmal and forces an early closing.

KevinKlawitter
hearthemsing22
#138The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 9:57am

1. A newcomer yes so happy!!!!

2. Her voice is stuh-nning I'm so excited 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#139The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 10:07am

She sounds good!

Dorothy is a huge sing so the stamina will be a big test for a newcomer -- especially for the tour portion where she's constantly in a different place, in a different time, different people around her.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#140The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 10:19am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "She sounds good!

Dorothy is a huge sing so the stamina will be a big test for a newcomer -- especially for the tour portion where she's constantly in a different place, in a different time, different people around her.
"

It looks like she has previous touring experience under her belt.... a smart choice!

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#141The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 10:25am

Voter said: "It looks like she has previous touring experience under her belt.... a smart choice!"

Yes, but playing a Dynamite in the non-Eq tour of Hairspray isn't the same as carrying this whole show. Hopefully she turns out to be more like Sutton Foster, less like Linedy Genao :)

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#142The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 11:14am

One thing I immediately like is that, from her videos at least, Nichelle seems like she could be credible playing an adolescent girl. So many recent productions of THE WIZ seem to take cue from the miscast Diana Ross in the film by casting women who read too adult  -- Even Shanice Williams in the NBC Live production IMO seemed rather mature for the part.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#143The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 2:46pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Voter said: "It looks like she has previous touring experience under her belt.... a smart choice!"

Yes, but playing a Dynamite in the non-Eq tour of Hairspray isn't the same as carrying this whole show. Hopefully she turns out to be more like Sutton Foster, less like Linedy Genao :)
"

Doing a Non-Eq tour probably gave her MORE stamina. Those schedules are brutal. And there’s no need to put down other performers to make some sort of point. That’s just lame. Excited for Nichelle!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#144The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 5:55pm

why was Wayne Brady absent from their first rehearsal today?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dom P
#145The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 6:02pm

ACL2006 said: "why was Wayne Brady absent from their first rehearsal today?"

I dont believe he's doing the whole tour  select dates only.

KevinKlawitter
#146The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 6:17pm

Dom P said: "ACL2006 said: "why was Wayne Brady absent from their first rehearsal today?"

I dont believe he's doing the whole tour select dates only.
"

Yeah, Brady is only doing San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Broadway. Alan Mingo, Jr. is doing the tour proper.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#147The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 6:18pm

Dom P said: "ACL2006 said: "why was Wayne Brady absent from their first rehearsal today?"

I dont believe he's doing the whole tour select dates only.
"

I see the dates now. Brady doesn't start the tour until Jan. 16.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#148The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/14/23 at 7:24pm

Do we not have a full cast announcement? 

GiantsInTheSky2
#149The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 11:28am

The entire cast (including ensemble) can be found on their Instagram, @thewizbway - the principal cast is on their site, wizmusical.com

Videos