STRIKE TOMORROW

BwayJerry
#125re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:12am

Yes, JustAGuy, the key phrase there is "IF you were actually able to get a union job." Please don't forget that Equity represents Stage Managers as well as actors and the unemployment rate is still through the roof for Stage Managers as well.

So not only are there far more jobs for stage hands (including those that require 3 people to do the job of one person), but the money and benefits are far better than for that of a Stage Manager.

As an Equity Actor, I worry daily about my health insurance. Not only is it pretty terrible insurance, but just a few years ago, they doubled the amount of work one would do to be covered. Making a depressingly small percentage of AEA members able to have coverage.

Bottom line is, there was a day when these unions were necessary, when by bonding together they were fighting REAL injustices. Now they are petty theives and bullies and in my opinion, much of their work is pointless and/or already covered by laws that govern our country.

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#126re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:38am

Anyone know if tech rehearsals would be affected by the strike as well? The Homecoming is supposed to begin previews November 23rd; assuming their tech is scheduled for next week, would that stay on schedule, or would the first preview night get pushed back?

I recognize the addiction to being alive.
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 10:38 AM

DougieYero Profile Photo
DougieYero
#127re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:43am

^^ That would suck. I have tickets to "The Homecoming" on the 24th - 2nd row center! - and I've been looking forward to it for quite some time.

Oh well if there's no performance, not a whole lot any of us can do.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#128re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:44am

Surprise Jerry, I've been in Equity for 33 soon to be 34 years. Yup, since 1974. I know all about what it takes to get health insurance, and what the unemployment rate is among actors and stage managers. And I knew these things when I joined the Union. I chose to join the Union because of the benefits and the pay scale, knowing that I might not always meet the requirements, for health insurance, but also knowing that because I was a Union memeber I would be able to pay for that insurance myself at a lower rate than I would if I were to try and get it on my own.

When I retire I will also have a nice pension that has grown over the years, plus a 401K plan because of the Union. Something I wouldn't have had if I'd chosen to remain non-equity. Do you suppose a producer would voluntarily contribute to the Health and Pension funds without a Union? I think it's highly unlikely. How many non-Equity actors and stage managers do you know, that have worked for producers who contribute to their health care and retirement?

You may think that unions are no longer a necessity, but I strongly disagree. Without them, there would be fewer protections for the people who are actually doing the work that helps to bring in the profits. And without them, the producer might want to lower wages, add more performances per week without additional payment, do away with pension and health care contributions, rehearse 12 hours a day, not pay per-diem when working out of town, etc. The list could go on and on.

I'm thankful that I'm a Union member, and even though I may not always support all the demands that the Union makes, I would rather have them there to represent me than have no representation at all.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 10:44 AM

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#129re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:52am

WOW. Duran Duran will have no performance tonight. I wonder how that plays out since it's mostly like a special event and not a theater production. I wonder of Duran Duran will sue, cause I feel it is a different circumstance of a performance.

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#130re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:54am

Maybe they have thier own road crew as do most concerts? interesting!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#131re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:54am

Maybe they have thier own road crew as do most concerts? interesting!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#132re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:57am

Maybe they have thier own road crew as most concerts do? Interesting!

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#133re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 11:00am

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#134re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 11:00am

DrowsyBoy1011 Profile Photo
DrowsyBoy1011
#135re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 11:06am

this may be a dumb question but I was just wondering... since telecharge is doing automatic refunds for orders placed over the computer does that mean that they are doing that on a day to day basis? I have tickets for December, and hopefully for everyone's sake (and by everyone I mean the stagehands, actors, everyone who works in or for a theatre, as well as all ticketholders, not just myself) it will be over by then, but I was wondering how they were dealing with it, I mean I know that it's really a day to day type of thing, but I was just wondering. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. I hope things go well with the strike and maybe some kind of progress can be made in securing a new deal.
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 11:06 AM

MargoChanning
#136re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 11:12am

Since the strike could theoretically end at any time (remember the last work stoppage a few years ago due to the musicians' strike only lasted 4 days), Telecharge will be refunding on a day to day basis. So, don't worry about December yet -- it could hopefully be over by then.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Lynnespock2
#137re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 11:16am

Well said Justaguy.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

BwayInsider
#138re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 12:38pm

This is terrible. The local one union are greedy '***holes. Striking is going to hurt some shows so badly they will have to close and then the stage hand swill lose jobs, just what they were trying to avoid. Serves them right. On top of that they are putting many other people in the industry out of work. People who need the job. But they don't care. They are truly fools. Not sure why the industry doesn't just start hiring scabs to replace them and et rid of their union. Almost anyone could learn to do most of their jobs and the shows would go on just fine.

And the actors union is supporting them. Even bigger fools because local on would never support the actors. Ever been backstage and heard a union guy talk about the actors? Usually not very nice.

I am pissed!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#139re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 12:42pm

Does anyone know if, historically, shows have closed permanently after a strike in the past? For example, after the musician's strike a few years ago, did any shows fail to re- open?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Lynnespock2
#140re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 12:46pm

Bwdyinsider: blaming the union for the situation at hand is narrow minded. Producers share the blame, if not all the blame. The whole thing could have been avoided but, there was no movement by the producers.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

BwayInsider
#141re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 12:51pm

Lynnespock2 -I agree both sides are to blame, but IMHO, the stage hands are the ones who are not moving on their end. They don't want to give up jobs that are not necessary or performed at all. What business in the world pays people not to work? I know of stage hands who leave at intermission of shows because they have no further work to do. And they are paid a full wage for the entire evening's work.

bk
#142re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:30pm

Is it official yet?

If it is, I, too, predict it will be short, and like the musician's strike, local one will not get what they want - oh, all sides will SAY they made concessions and got gains, but that's not what happened with the musicians - they settled the strike, yes, but the producers basically got what they wanted, and gave the musicians a few carrots but not the carrots they wanted.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#143re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:34pm

Once again bdwyinsider, it has been said over and over again by the Union, some jobs will be eliminated but they are asking that those who have to cover the work of a laid offed or fired worker be compensated for having to do even more work. That is fair.

Some Actors only have to play small roles. Those who don't do much don't get paid as much as those who do. They get paid by the job, not by the hour. Some people, who have kept themselves employed for many, many years do get good salaries because they have managed to stay employed that long. It is that way in every business.

Or do you think Actors should have to perform on stage and clean-up the Theater too in a big house that takes in millions? Maybe we should have those curtain pullers work as ushers too? Stand-by? Why should they get paid for not working? Then Ushers should only get paid for bringing people into the shows and then showing them out. People can find their own seats. Sell programs? How many times have I seen Mgrs. just standing around? I know they work behind the scenes and many are salary. Often, you get paid by the Job, not the hour. It really depends on what you do for a living. I mean get serious.

DoranC
#144re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:39pm

At the time the strike was first approved, the Union president quite specifically said that they would give the public plenty of notice of a strike. I think it's safe to say that that didn't happen. Anyone know (or speculate) why? In theory, they could have announced the strike today to begin on Tuesday. This isn't a complaint, btw, I'm just curious as to why people think the union timed this the way they did.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#145re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:46pm

I don't want to sound snobby, but, I mean, you'd have to be blind not to have seen this coming. Everyone could basically see that the negotiations were not going well, and this was going to happen eventually. I'll admit that I was hoping it wouldn't but in my heart I kind of knew it was going to. I think the union just got so fed up with the producers and the negotiations that were accomplishing nothing that they chose to strike at the earliest possible date. Sure, I agree they could have given the public more prior notice, but it's too late now to worry about that. The only thing left to do is wait it out and pray it's over soon.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

DoranC
#146re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:08pm

"I don't want to sound snobby, but, I mean, you'd have to be blind not to have seen this coming."

No you wouldn't. I saw it coming because I frequent theater websites. Outside of these sorts of sites and New York sources, this has gotten very little coverage. Last month it got some coverage, when there were headlines like "Broadway on Brink of Strike," but nothing came of that--at the time. Again, my post was not a complaint.

"Everyone could basically see that the negotiations were not going well, and this was going to happen eventually."

Again, no, "everyone" could not have seen that. And anyways, 'eventually' is the operative word. There's a difference between "eventually" and knowing whether when you boarded a plane to NYC on Thurs/Fri with Broadway tickets for a show on Saturday you'd have a show to go to.

"I think the union just got so fed up with the producers and the negotiations that were accomplishing nothing that they chose to strike at the earliest possible date. Sure, I agree they could have given the public more prior notice, but it's too late now to worry about that."

I wasn't worrying about it. I'm just asking a question. And, thank you, you gave your answer in the previous sentence.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#147re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:09pm

"And the actors union is supporting them."

Do you really expect the actors to cross the picket lines and perform? There's enough danger involved backstage when the crew is fully trained and everyone knows what they're doing. Imagine a group of scabs coming in and trying to run a show with no rehearsal or training. It's part of Equity's job to make sure that the conditions that the actors are working under are as safe as possible. To ask them to cross the picket lines would not only be irresponsible it would be dangerous as well.

"Even bigger fools because local on would never support the actors. "

This remains to be seen. The Equity Production contract expires in June of 08, just 8 months from now. There's nothing like getting a little goodwill going with the other Unions before your contract expires, in the hopes of being supported when you may have to strike.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#148re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:14pm

How will this end up being resolved? Like are there currently meetings going on to try to solve the problems? I'm really confused on everything.

MargoChanning
#149re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:21pm

I expect we'll see an announcement in the next couple of days about when the talks will resume. Give it a few days -- and give everyone a chance to lose some money and start feeling a little pressure to try to work this out.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Videos