pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 63

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

idioteque...
#1550Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/25/23 at 3:34pm

Can anyone report how the rush situation has been lately? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1551Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/28/23 at 1:47pm

DeLaney Westfall will be making her Mrs. Lovett debut this afternoon!

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 10/28/23 at 01:47 PM

poto19882023 Profile Photo
poto19882023
#1552Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/28/23 at 10:05pm

Intel from within the Lunt Fontanne:

-The announcement for the new cast will be coming this Tuesday, October 31 (fitting since it’s Halloween)

-It is all but confirmed that it is, in fact, Aaron Tveit and Sutton Foster

-They will be starting early February

-In the interim Nicholas Christopher and Paul Jordan-Jensen will be sharing the role of Sweeney, while Jeanna de Waal and Delaney Westfall will share the role of Mrs. Lovett

I was predicting/hoping there’d be a few week stint where the standbys would become principle with the understudies getting to do some alternate performances so this is perfect. I will be there frequently to catch them!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1553Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/29/23 at 8:24am

Low key love that there is a break between the casts because it will become very clear in the understudy weeks how much the show can survive without stars, and what box office impact Sutton/Aaron actually have when they start performances after this. 

And anyone who hasn't seen Nicholas Christopher in the role should definitely try to during that time. I can't speak for the other Sweeney, but Nicholas approaches the role with more skilled acting prowess than Josh Groban (even though I do think Josh's voice ultimately is the more appealing x-factor). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/29/23 at 08:24 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1554Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/29/23 at 8:28am

poto19882023 said: "Intel from within the Lunt Fontanne:

-The announcement for the new cast will be coming this Tuesday, October 31 (fitting since it’s Halloween)

-It is all but confirmed that it is, in fact, Aaron Tveit and Sutton Foster

-They will be starting early February

-In the interim Nicholas Christopher and Paul Jordan-Jensen will be sharing the role of Sweeney, while Jeanna de Waal and Delaney Westfall will share the role of Mrs. Lovett

I was predicting/hoping there’d be a few week stint where the standbys would become principle with the understudies getting to do some alternate performances so this is perfect. I will be there frequently to catch them!
"

That's awesome, but for the show to go with the standbys for 3-4 weeks in the dead of winter is going to kill their grosses.

I wonder how long we'll get Tveit/Foster? 6 months? Do they stick with the 7 performances/week schedule? Close the show just prior to July 4?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bippie
#1555Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/29/23 at 9:20am

Any idea why Ashford was out for Saturday matinee? Was it only for the matinee?

yyys
#1556Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/29/23 at 10:07am

Her instagram story stated she'll only be out for matinee as she was still fighting a bug.

bippie said: "Any idea why Ashford was out for Saturday matinee? Was it only for the matinee?"

Nolan LuPone
#1557Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/29/23 at 10:05pm

Any word on the next Toby, following Gaten Matarazzo’s departure? I’ll be seeing the show Veterans Day Weekend and am incredibly curious.

MezzA101
#1558Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/30/23 at 12:27pm

Annaleigh Ashford scheduled for Fallon tonight.

JasonC3
#1559Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:51am

Interestingly, the orchestra and mezz right now are only about 50% sold for tomorrow's matinee and for many performances it looks like some of the seats that have been selling for $269.50 are down to $213.50.

MezzA101
#1560Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/2/23 at 5:39pm

Per the Broadway Direct website, Groban was out yesterday and back tomorrow.

MezzA101
#1561Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/2/23 at 6:07pm

7 performances a week, and Wednesday will be 1pm and 7pm.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#1562Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/3/23 at 4:16pm

My sister has tickets for tomorrow matinee and was notified Josh will be out. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1563Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/3/23 at 4:49pm

Josh taking two weeks vacation instead?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

yyys
#1564Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/3/23 at 5:02pm

he has the "flu" since Tuesday (per his instagram story)

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1565Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:20pm

Nolan LuPone said: "Any word on the next Toby, following Gaten Matarazzo’s departure? I’ll be seeing the show Veterans Day Weekend and am incredibly curious."

Daniel Marconi, according to a Reddit leak. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1566Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:35pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Nolan LuPone said: "Any word on the next Toby, following Gaten Matarazzo’s departure? I’ll be seeing the show Veterans Day Weekend and am incredibly curious."

"

Interesting! He started his stage career as a child actor (making his Broadway debut in Mary Poppins) and studied theatre in college before transitioning to film and television.

Also, he played Randy in the out-of-town tryout of The Outsiders, so I wonder who's replacing him.

Welcome back to Broadway, Daniel!

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 11/3/23 at 11:35 PM

BETTY22
#1567Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/4/23 at 7:58pm

Is there any chance of this being recording for a streaming service. Josh is a big star, which always helps. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1568Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/4/23 at 8:50pm

If we couldn’t get Hugh and Sutton’s Music Man filmed for release, I doubt we’ll get it for this. Unless he brings it over to the West End next year or something. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1569Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/6/23 at 9:14pm

Buy 1 Get 1 Free from Nov 15 - 19 

Code: BOGO

Groban will not be performing during this period

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1570Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/6/23 at 11:00pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Nolan LuPone said: "Any word on the next Toby, following Gaten Matarazzo’s departure? I’ll be seeing the show Veterans Day Weekend and am incredibly curious."

"

Interesting! He started his stage career as a child actor (making his Broadway debut in Mary Poppins) and studied theatre in college before transitioning to film and television.

Also, he played Randy in the out-of-town tryout of The Outsiders, so I wonder who's replacing him.

Welcome back to Broadway, Daniel!
"

He also played the title role in the most recent workshops of THE KARATE KID.

HOWEVER: PlaybillVault lists Felix Torrez-Ponce (current understudy/ensemble) as taking over the role on November 8th –– generally a correct source of info. So I wonder if he's temporary until Daniel can begin, or if Reddit provided some bad information.

Updated On: 11/6/23 at 11:00 PM

saxpower
#1571Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/7/23 at 12:52am

Interestingly, the show's website currently has NO ONE listed for Tobias.  Felix Torres-Ponce is still listed as Ensemble. This may suggests (as suggested by the prior poster) he is filling in temporarily until Daniel (or whoever the permanent replacement is) becomes available. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1572Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/8/23 at 5:34pm

Felix Torrez-Ponce is Toby today through the 12th, and Nathan Salstone will play the role from the 15th through the 19th.

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1573Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/10/23 at 4:57pm

Marconi officially begins his run on the 21st!

Oh look, a bibu!

MezzA101
#1574Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 11/13/23 at 9:49am

The Sunday matinee of 01/14 has few seats left. And they raised the top ticket price to match Saturday evening: $574.50.

Videos