pixeltracker

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway- Page 7

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

budfrump Profile Photo
budfrump
#151Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 9:24pm

the revival of La Cage that just closed <3. with The original cast.
One of the best nights of my life. I met the whole cast after.

Justaguy2
#152Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 11:28pm

A Chorus Line (original production) while on a high school trip. Quite a way to start off!

lizliz
#153Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 10:29am

Annie. With my parents, I was pretty young. It must have been near the end of the Broadway run, because I believe Alyson Kirk was playing Annie.

Pretty sure the first big musical I ever saw, though not technically Broadway, was Snow White at Radio City Music Hall... it was a live-action adaptation of the Disney movie, and they used to play it on HBO every year for a while. Picked up a (very very illegal) DVD copy of it at the Broadway Flea Market a few years back, and was thrilled to find it!

DefyGravity777
#154Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 3:00pm

First Play- The Crucible with Justine Bateman(who was hot at the time in Family Ties) in '89 I believe

First Musical- Miss Saigon(missed Lea Salonga by 2 weeks) in '93

2nd musical was 14yrs later- Les Mis Revival where I finally got to see Lea Salonga Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

LoveDemBroadwayShows2 Profile Photo
LoveDemBroadwayShows2
#155Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 3:21pm

First show was in 1984, La Cage au Faux.

First play was the same trip, Noises Off, with the wonderful Dorothy Loudon.

Also saw the first(?) incarnation of Forbidden Broadway at Paulson's.
Updated On: 6/10/11 at 03:21 PM

TheSeafarer Profile Photo
TheSeafarer
#156Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 4:54pm

First Play - Sleuth - 1973 at the Music Box Theater starring Patrick Macnee.

First Musical - The Wiz - 1975 - Still in the top three of my all time favorites.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#157Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 7:46pm

Rent. January 2005. Got the tickets as a present for my 16th birthday.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

beach2732 Profile Photo
beach2732
#158Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 7:46pm

Chicago in 2005

#159Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 7:55pm

Nanette 1972 -- Ruby Keeler was out sick that night, but I did see Patsy Kelly.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#160Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 7:58pm

Man of La Mancha 1967. Original cast. Talk back after the show. My Spanish class took us to it. Still remains my favorite

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

ooblogway Profile Photo
ooblogway
#161Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/10/11 at 11:29pm

1979: Whoopee! at the ANTA Theatre (now the August Wilson)

__________________________________________ "Sometimes – there's God – so quickly!"

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#162Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:01am

This continues to be an exciting and heartwarming thread. Thanks all for your contributions! If you are still following this thread, I'd love to hear more from the folks that saw: THE WIZ, The 10th Anniversary production of HAIR, WHOOPEE!. THE ACT, STARLIGHT EXPRESS, and THE SECRET GARDEN.

jwsel
#163Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 2:24am

Summer of 1977, when I was 7. I can't remember which show came first, but we saw the original cast in Annie and The Wiz.

broadwayizme
#164Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 3:11am

I had seen SEVERAL shows in Los Angeles, but after finally convincing my father to take me to New York, I arrived to my now favorite city in 2003, where I saw Wicked. What an amazing night. I have come back several times now, and have now seen 12 shows. I am going back in August to where I will turn those 12 into as of now, 17.

#165Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 4:12am

i love this thread.

my first broadway show was the original cast of The Secret Garden. I was sitting with my family in the balcony, and all I remember is the end of the first act, when Daisy Eagan freezes as she's putting the key into the lock to open the gates. I was mesmerized as to how she could hold that still. Then I remember looking over at my family and seeing them all sleeping.

That same trip i saw Will Rogers Follies and offbway's Blue Man Group. It was my introduction to Broadway, and I've loved it ever since.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#166Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 8:41am

guettboy, thanks for your post regarding THE SECRET GARDEN. I loved that show so much and so I can only imagine the thrill of having that be my first Broadway show. Please tell us more about your WILL ROGERS FOLLIES experience. The staging and the score are terrific, methinks.

ooblogway Profile Photo
ooblogway
#167Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 9:52am

I saw WHOOPEE! in the summer of 1979, I was 12 and my brother was 10 and my mother took us in to see a matinee. The idea was to do TKTS, but my mom didn't realize the line would be so long. So we began to walk uptown and couldn't decide, so we wound up seeing the show at the "last" theater on the walk, the ANTA on 52nd Street (now the August Wilson).

I was 12 and it was my first show, and a while ago, but I remember sitting in the rear mezzanine and it seemed really far from the stage. The lead actor, Charles Repole, was charming, funny and sang well. The show was corny and dated - and if I felt that way at 12 I can only imagine how adults must have felt.

Funny enough, I don't remember it feeling long. Something I suffer from now.

Second Show, First Play: DEATHTRAP with John Cullum and Madian Seldes!

__________________________________________ "Sometimes – there's God – so quickly!"

TheSeafarer Profile Photo
TheSeafarer
#168Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 11:31am

My mum and I saw the Wiz from the third row of the orchestra and I was absolutely blown away by it.

It was and remains one of the most electrifying productions I have ever seen. The cast across the board were stand outs but, my personal favorites were Hinton Battle's soulful and dynamic Scarecrow, Ted Ross's booming and powerful Lion and Andre de Shields's dazzling show stopping Wiz.

This score is on a permanent loop in my memory and I often hum songs from it.

LindyLee
#169Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 11:42am

The Tap Dance Kid in 1984 or 85!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#170Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 11:46am

My first year of Broadway theater-going:

December, 1973: IRENE, w/Debbie Reynolds
February, 1974: GIGI, w/Alfred Drake (my first "final" perf.)
March, 1974: OVER HERE, w/The Andrews Sisters
June, 1974: LORELEI, w/Carol Channing
July, 1974: GREASE
August, 1974: CANDIDE
October, 1974: PIPPIN, w/Ben Vereen and Betty Buckley
November, 1974: GYPSY, w/Angela Lansbury
November, 1974: MACK & MABLE w/Robert Preston & Bernadette Peters
December, 1974: THE MAGIC SHOW

Not a bad introductory year. I still regret not having seen the original A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC while I had the chance, but my mother disliked Sondheim and wouldn't take me. I had my revenge when I played Henrik years later and she had to see it. Twice. She loved it! Ha! Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#171Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:15pm

If we don't count Monty Python at City Center in 1976, it would be 42nd Street in 1982 with Jerry Orbach and the replacement for Peggy Sawyer was Lisa Brown. Was it the Winter Garden?

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#172Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/11/11 at 5:48pm

When I was a freshman at a Penn State campus in Pennsylvania at the beginning of 1976, I started a Drama Club called the 'Schuylkill Players' and we brought a busload of people to NYC on a Saturday to see the matinee of PIPPIN with Michael Rupert at the Imperial Theatre and then the Tony-winning 'Best Musical' THE WIZ at the Majestic Saturday night before heading back to PA in the bus. Naturally, I couldn't get enough and am happy that 35 years later, I'm working on THE NORMAL HEART on Broadway.

Question for FINCH...
I could be wrong, but didn't THE MUSIC MAN premier on Broadway in December, 1957? Not sure about the 8/11/56 reference. Thanks!
I could be wrong,

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

explorer Profile Photo
explorer
#173Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/11 at 8:37am

Mame in 1969.

explorer Profile Photo
explorer
#174Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/11 at 8:37am

Mame in 1969.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#175Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/11 at 9:22am

The 2009 revival of West Side Story. It was a very good production and I was very impressed for my first broadway production, Until I saw more shows :)

Videos