pixeltracker

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY- Page 7

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY

Ranger Tom
#150Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:57pm

Is Zaks still doing this?  If so, then I'm betting on Nathan Lane to do the three shows when Bette's resting.

Wilmingtom
#151Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:00am

I very much doubt that Scott Rudin would be on board with his star doing only five performances.  Seven, maybe.  It's also unlikely that Midler would be on board with a major diva like Lupone of Peters spelling her for a performance or two, nor would they be the least bit interested in the assignment.  It will be a solid talent who won't cost as much as a "name," like what Karen Mason was to "Sunset Boulevard."

Dollypop
#152Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 6:54am

Wasn't' James Snyder already set for Cornelius?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

AnnieBlack
#153Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 7:52am

Theoretically, who is to say that the show itself needs to 8 shows a week? With the premium tickets, the show could be in profit with 5 shows a week. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#154Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 7:56am

Highly unlikely.

I also think there will be some outrage if she only does 5/week.  Getting tickets will be insane.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#155Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 8:20am

Pearl Bailey had Thelma Carpenter do the matinees when she played Dolly.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#156Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 8:31am

Stage Door Sally said: "My Dolly Dreamcast:

Dolly: The Divine Miss M
Horace: Tony Sheldon
Irene Malloy: Laura Benanti
Cornelius: Wesley Taylor
Barnaby: Nicholas Barasch

"

Yes, love Wesley Taylor.  

And saw Nicholas barasch this week in she loves me.  He really knocked it out of the park.  He is delightful.  Such a stage presence.    And, barnaby has essentially the same personality as arpad.  Does one worry about getting typecast at age 17?   Just rhetorical.  Anyone would jump at the chance to be in this show.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#157Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 9:22am

Oh, I wouldn't be shocked if she didn't do all 8...or even offered a 7 show week....but to just over half?  WAY too many disappointed people.  I love Dolly, hell, I just directed it in the fall, but my reason for wanting to see this is Bette.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#158Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:15am

dramamama611 said: "Oh, I wouldn't be shocked if she didn't do all 8...or even offered a 7 show week....but to just over half?  WAY too many disappointed people.  I love Dolly, hell, I just directed it in the fall, but my reason for wanting to see this is Bette."

I honestly would've been more surprised if she did a full eight-show-a-week schedule.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#159Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:42am

Barasch is perfection in SHE LOVES ME. I would love to see him show up here, and I think the exposure he'd have being in what's bound to be one of the biggest hits of the season would be enough reason to dispel any concerns about beibg typecast, especially since he is so young.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#160Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:50am

I'm just passing on what I heard! Don't shoot the messenger. Time will tell if the rumor is true, but for the time being it sounds like Scott Rudin is 'looking' to see what options he might have as a star Dolly alternate. How about Whoopi Goldberg? 

I also could see a potential scenario in which there are only 7 shows a week and perhaps Bette only does 5, but if that is the case, and they don't get a name to do the other 2, the show will essentially have to be on a recoupment schedule that allows them to make their money primarily from a 5 show a week performance, which means you will be paying for it at the box office.  As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if when tickets go on sale, they are at a a record breaking high ticket price.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 4/22/16 at 10:50 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#161Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:52am

Given what they're paying Midler and her additional profit participation, there's no way she's doing 5 shows a week. It's a financial model that would be completely implausible.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#162Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:59am

I asume, if this rumor is true, her profit participation will be based on the number of shows she actually performs.  If they want to get a true 'name' to be her alternate, they might have to offer that star a similar deal structure.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#163Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:11am

Queen Latifah's name has often come up when discussing Dolly, and I believe she's said she would not be interested in carrying a show 8 times a week. It'd be cool if they could get her or some other stars of her caliber to do limited engagements as the Dolly alternate. I know it's not likely to happen, but this really would be the perfect opportunity for names like that to take a crack at the Broadway stage without having to worry about the rigor and the commitment. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#164Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:14am

Saw it with Pearl Bailey plus the movie and saw Midler in Vegas .No need to take money out of an IRA for tickets. Add to that , I would not want to see an old fashioned musical that might contain offensive songs with questionable lyrics. I must protect my ears from that.

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#165Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:15am

Well, not seeing it certainly won't stop you from talking about it here, so it's really a wash for the rest of us.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#166Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:21am

I can imagine what you are saying Kad . Nothing good. It is a shame I can not read it. Keep plugging away at it. In life, people do not always agree with you. Get used to it.

Poster Emeritus

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#167Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:32am

You guys are soo catty, you could put Bette And Kim to shame.

I want to see the set design for this. Do we know who's doing it?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#168Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:44am

Kad always throws the first punch. I just counter punched.

If he continues, he will be shadow boxing. Fight is over here at least as far as I am concerned.

Poster Emeritus

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#169Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:58am

I don't know if I actually read this, but isn't this  going to be more or less a recreation of the original 1964 production? Isn't that what Jerry Herman was insisting on?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#170Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:05pm

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the EPA breakdown, Cornelius was listed as already having been cast- so I'd imagine it's someone fairly well known, since I doubt they'd have already cast a virtual unknown in only this role.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#171Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:20pm

QueenAlice said: "I don't know if I actually read this, but isn't this  going to be more or less a recreation of the original 1964 production? Isn't that what Jerry Herman was insisting on?"

I know that's how he wanted the rumored LuPone production to be mounted, which is why it never got off the ground. Perhaps he has changed his tune for a star of Midler's caliber.

10086sunset
#172Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:44pm

QueenAlice said: "I'm just passing on what I heard! Don't shoot the messenger. Time will tell if the rumor is true, but for the time being it sounds like Scott Rudin is 'looking' to see what options he might have as a star Dolly alternate. How about Whoopi Goldberg? 

I also could see a potential scenario in which there are only 7 shows a week and perhaps Bette only does 5, but if that is the case, and they don't get a name to do the other 2, the show will essentially have to be on a recoupment schedule that allows them to make their money primarily from a 5 show a week performance, which means you will be paying for it at the box office.  As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if when tickets go on sale, they are at a a record breaking high ticket price.

"

Alice, I think you are right...Ticket prices will likely be very high. 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#173Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 4:32pm

Already planning my NYC trip for next Spring for this one. I would also LOVE Nicholas Barasch for the role. He was wonderful in 'She Loves Me' so I hope he gets on the audition list!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#174Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 4:59pm

I know she's a *huge* get for them so I guess anything can happen but I have a hard time seeing them go through with that. It'd be kind of silly. While the idea of a Broadway or TV/film/music name who isn't interested in committing to 8 shows a week or who is interested in being a part-time performer sounds fun, practically it would make no sense. This revival is built entirely around Bette Midler and that's who audiences will be expecting to see. In fact, it would make more sense to me if the show went dark when she isn't able to perform much like it happened when Hugh Jackman did THE BOY FROM OZ. There's just no point in pretending this isn't 100% a star vehicle, which is quite exciting in its own way since star-driven big Broadway musicals designed around someone as huge as Midler seem to be more of a rarity these days.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos