COVID Cancellations

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1825COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 4:11pm

With the news that NY may be over this curve of infections, it would make sense that cancelations also be slowing. It’s a fascinating way of monitoring Covid as a whole, in the city.  

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1826COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 4:14pm

Jordan Catalano said: "With the news that NY may be over this curve of infections, it would make sense that cancelations also be slowing. It’s a fascinating way of monitoring Covid as a whole, in the city. "

Broadway was hit hard and early in this wave. I saw the thread started to slow down noticeably right around the New Year. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1827COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 8:37pm

In an interesting twist, Holly Ann Butler was flown out to join the Come From Away tour in Minneapolis. Tonight they're running the show with 7 standbys on.

(Can't figure out how to upload a photo via my phone).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BCfitasafiddle
#1828COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 8:38pm

Crazy! Holly Ann Butler (who was in Diana till it closed a few weeks ago), rejoined the Come From Away cast on Broadway to help cover COVID absences. Now she flew to where the CFA tour is performing and is on as Janice tonight! Everybody is going everywhere!

angoradebs
#1829COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 8:57pm

Additionally,  Geno Carr has joined the tour as well, "for a stretch" (his words). There are 7 standbys on tonight including Butler, plus Becky Gulsvig who is not being considered a standby but a temporary replacement (Carr is not on tonight)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1830COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 9:19pm

Holly Ann Butler is listed on both cast lists on the show's website (as a standby).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1831COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 9:21pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Crazy! Holly Ann Butler (who was in Diana till it closed a few weeks ago), rejoined the Come From Away cast on Broadway to help cover COVID absences. Now she flew to where the CFA tour is performing and is on as Janice tonight! Everybody is going everywhere!"

“Well, it’s too late now… your face is already on all the mugs and the tea towels.” Loved Holly in Diana.

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#1832COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 10:10pm

EDSOSLO858 said: 
“Well, it’s too late now… your face is already on all the mugs and the tea towels.” Loved Holly inDiana."

Same. Glad she got so many laughs. I wish I could see Diana again. In need of some laughs.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#1833COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 10:23am

7 standbys are nothing. Did you see the Wss revival with KO or Chours Line ?

pagereynolds
#1834COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 10:24am

WldKingdomHM said: "7 standbys are nothing. Did you see the Wss revival with KO or Chours Line ?"

7 standby actors out of 12 is nothing? OK.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1835COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 10:27am

WldKingdomHM said: "7 standbys are nothing. Did you see the Wss revival with KO or Chours Line ?"

I did. But this is different. 7 out of 12 roles covered, three former actors with the show were flown in to do the show. That's what is different.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1836COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 11:30am

When 7 standbys is literally most of the cast, we’re talking about a completely different situation. This is not just respacing, cutting cut dancers, etc. Clearly, it’s not comparable.

aEnigma7345
#1837COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:03pm

So far, for those keeping score, list of Broadway shows permanently closed (at least in part) due to COVID:

Diana

Jagged Little Pill

Thoughts of a Colored Man

Waitress

Ain't Too Proud

Flying Over Sunset

To Kill a Mockingbird (?) (may reopen at a smaller venue?) 

Mrs. Doubtfire (on hiatus)

The Girl from the North Country (may reopen at a smaller venue)

Updated On: 1/12/22 at 06:03 PM

pagereynolds
#1838COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:07pm

aEnigma7345 said: "So far, for those keeping score, list of Broadway shows permanently closed (at least in part) due to COVID:

Diana

Jagged Little Pill

Waitress

Ain't Too Proud

Flying Over Sunset

"

I would caveat that these are all shows that came back after the shut down. Quite a few didn't.

TKAM is moving to the Belasco.

aEnigma7345
#1839COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:17pm

I should make clear that the list below refers to shows that have been permanently closed in the last couple weeks due (at least in part) to COVID.

but yeah, there were a couple of shows that didn't survive the initial shutdown (Mean Girls, Frozen).   

pagereynolds said: "aEnigma7345 said: "So far, for those keeping score, list of Broadway shows permanently closed (at least in part) due to COVID:

Diana

Jagged Little Pill

Waitress

Ain't Too Proud

Flying Over Sunset

"

I would caveat that these are all shows that came back after the shut down. Quite a few didn't.

TKAM is moving to the Belasco.
"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1840COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:34pm

Waitress & Flying Over Sunset we’re always limited runs so even though they closed a couple weeks early, I don’t think they belong on a list of shows “closed by Covid”.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1841COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Waitress & Flying Over Sunset we’re always limited runs so even though they closed a couple weeks early, I don’t think they belong on a list of shows “closed by Covid”."

Thoughts of a Colored Man was also a limited run. And Diana did not close solely because of COVID - it just didn’t sell well from start to finish. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/12/22 at 06:37 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1842COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:38pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Waitress & Flying Over Sunset we’re always limited runs so even though they closed a couple weeks early, I don’t think they belong on a list of shows “closed by Covid”."

That argument could be made for F.O.S, but WAITRESS made it explicitly clear that the reason their run could not be completed was because of COVID and the decimation of its cast.

I’m hoping NORTH COUNTRY comes back. My worry is that the only place it can go where it may benefit is the Golden or, if they want to shuffle FOR COLORED GIRLS, the Booth. (The show is too intimate for a theatre with a balcony)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

VintageSnarker
#1843COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 8:39pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Waitress & Flying Over Sunset we’re always limited runs so even though they closed a couple weeks early, I don’t think they belong on a list of shows “closed by Covid”."

Thoughts of a Colored Manwas also a limited run. AndDianadid not close solely because of COVID - it just didn’t sell well from start to finish.
"

Honestly, that list is not as depressing as it could be. Sad for the last Waitress cast and Ain't Too Proud which was previously doing well but most of the shows on the list were obviously struggling to sell tickets. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#1844COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 9:08pm

Agreed. Although there is a general consensus that subscribers who are in the retired range avoided the theatre because of covid fears.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#1845COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 9:11pm

I’m so glad I made my trip last week prior to resuming work (virtually right now which has totally worn me out…lol) this week. I’m especially glad because I just received my negative PCR test result! 

JaredBway
#1846COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 9:45pm

I was very lucky on my trip, January 4-12, had 12 shows booked and all 12 went on, most with minimal understudies.

Kimberly Akimbo, one of the younger characters was out (Teresa)

Mrs. Doubtfire, KJ Hippensteel was on as Daniel/Mrs. Doubtfire, he was fantastic

Hamilton, u/s for Burr and one of the minor characters

Flying Over Sunset, Carmen was out, understudy blew me away, it was her first time on. 

Winnie The Pooh, no casting info given at theatre

Hadestown, full cast

The Music Man, 2 minor characters out

Company, Larry was out

Caroline, or Change, full cast (closing show)

Little Shop of Horrors, jeremy's last show, minor character out (derelict)

Six, full cast

Moulin Rouge, alternate Satine, we knew in advance as it was a Tuesday

Kimbo
#1847COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 10:32pm

aEnigma7345 said: "but yeah, there were a couple of shows that didn't survive the initial shutdown (Mean Girls, Frozen).

You’ve also forgotten about several others: West Side Story, the Laurie Metcalf Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and (for now at least, although they supposedly received some of the reopening/grant money), Hangmen… as well as this season’s Chicken and Biscuits. And the news has been quiet of late on American Buffalo as well.  (This all added to the aforementioned Diana, Jagged Little Pill, Thoughts of a Colored Man, Waitress, Ain't Too Proud, Flying Over Sunset, Frozen, Mean Girls, To Kill a Mockingbird, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Girl from the North Country.)

So while the specific circumstances vary wildly, above and beyond the 18-month shutdown that affected everything, there are by my count a total (so far) of at least 15 or 16 shows that were direct Covid casualties – either in terms of never opening, closing in previews, never coming back, posting notice halfway through lockdown, being shuttered or suspended due to Omicron, or ending their scheduled limited runs even earlier than planned either because company infections were rampant or because audience attendance went off a cliff in December 2021. 

That seems to me already a tragically long list, for those of you saying you’re surprised it isn’t even longer.  (And, I fear, it’s bound to grow longer nonetheless.)

Updated On: 1/12/22 at 10:32 PM

yyys
#1848COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/12/22 at 10:38pm

what day of the week did you see Hadestown?   matinee or evening?

JaredBway said: "I was very lucky on my trip, January 4-12, had 12 shows booked and all 12 went on, most with minimal understudies.

Kimberly Akimbo, one of the younger characters was out (Teresa)

Mrs. Doubtfire, KJ Hippensteel was on as Daniel/Mrs. Doubtfire, he was fantastic

Hamilton, u/s for Burr and one of the minor characters

Flying Over Sunset, Carmen was out, understudy blew me away, it was her first time on.

Winnie The Pooh, no casting info given at theatre

Hadestown, full cast

The Music Man, 2 minor characters out

Company, Larry was out

Caroline, or Change, full cast (closing show)

Little Shop of Horrors, jeremy's last show, minor character out (derelict)

Six, full cast

Moulin Rouge, alternate Satine, we knew in advance as it was a Tuesday

"

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#1849COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 12:27am

Somehow,  I doubt Doubtfire will be back.  Feels more like a polite departure.

Reviews and sales could've been better. 

Videos