theatreguy12
#175AP Review
Posted: 4/26/16 at 3:34am

^^^Good to hear!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#176AP Review
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:26pm

I saw this tonight and was throughly entertained. I think Benjamin Walker deserves the Tony - didn't care for Fiddler. He gives such a powerful performance and commands that stand, and his physical and emotional decent was just beautifully constructed. And the fact that he made the character so damned likable is to be lauded as well. 

The design and directed is incredible! I was really impressed. The set is minimal, but always surprises. And the direction is fluid and dramatic. 

The big letdown for me was the score. There were hints of the beautiful Spring Awakening score, but the whole thing felt very Michael Friedman (in that the songs were short and had only one melody - no bridges, chorus, etc). I wanted them all to sing more. There were some gorgeous choral moments, but you leave the theater singing some Huey Lewis and the News song instead of the score. 

Yorke should be nominated. She is so hilarious and took her part and ran with. 

Jennifer D has such a gorgeous voice and thankfully has a few beautiful moments to showcase it, but her character never speaks above a whisper. I just wish we could have seen more of an arch for her. 

For as much as this show is touting how it's sexy and violent. The violence and blood were lacking. I wanted more generally scary moments. And the cast is attractive but nothing you wouldn't see at any gym or dance class in NYC, no offense to the ensemble men (Sir Brantly seems like he was crazy horny while writing that review.) 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#177AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:01am

Just getting home from the show. Completely blown away actually. Walker is putting 150% into his Bateman portrayal. And as a big fan of the soundtrack, hearing the song live was spectacular. Andd the new version of Killing Time was spinechilling! 

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

ChiTheaterFan
#178AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 8:10am

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but does anyone know if we'll get a Broadway cast recording?  I've thought about getting the London one, but I would rather wait if we'll get a recording with this cast. 

Caitiecait92
#179AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 10:33am

Just curious. Has anyone entered the online lottery for AP? Do they offer discounted mezz tickets if you don't win tickets?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#180AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 10:45am

ChiTheaterFan said: "I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but does anyone know if we'll get a Broadway cast recording?  I've thought about getting the London one, but I would rather wait if we'll get a recording with this cast."

Duncan Sheik said this week that he wants to film the show (for what sounded like a public release), so that would in a way be like a cast recording. So I hope that happens but I'd also love a regular OBCR to be done because I love Walker's interpretations of this music  

ChiTheaterFan
#181AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 11:05am

Thanks, Jordan.  I've had his voice singing "Selling Out" running through my head since I saw the show Sunday. Fingers crossed for a recording. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#182AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 11:05am

And I can't get "Not A Common Man" out of my head.

cristalconnors
#183AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:52pm

Saw it four weeks ago and loved it. I was surprised by how much I loved it, actually.

Someone above mentioned new staging for Killing Time. Has that happened since I would have seen it? If so, could someone describe what it is like?

Also... what on Earth is "dirty karate?" As much as I loved it, I will admit that the show has some crazy lyrics.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#184AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 1:05pm

I really enjoy Walker's voice so I'd love a recording. 

Is the staging "bigger" than in London? 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#185AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 1:17pm

Just saw the movie for the first time. What a letdown. The show is much better as the story is more coherent . In addition, Walker is better suited to the role than Bale. Here is an instance of a show improving on the movie.

Poster Emeritus

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#186AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 6:51pm

I've always loved the movie and book but I felt more during the musical and loved it. Plus I think the score is by far the most exciting one of the season.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ebontoyan
#187AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 8:32pm

^Hamilton!!! And a few other scores! My opinion of course I did enjoy AP score, all those 80s music!! lol

Updated On: 4/29/16 at 08:32 PM

kingfan011
#188AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 9:00pm

I haven't seen the show yet but I loved the movie and i think Bale did a great job of nailing Bateman from the book. While the book is funny Bateman is a scary and eventually barely holding it together psychopath and I thought bale did a great job of playing someone whose mask is beginning to slip as Bateman says himself

songanddanceman2
#189AP Review
Posted: 4/29/16 at 9:19pm

I personally just found American Psycho's score my creative and more risk taking than others this season. I do really like the Hamilton one as well.

theatreguy12
#190AP Review
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:53pm

I'm really excited to see this. It looks so stylish, and the songs I've heard from the London cast recording are great.  Interested to see how they play out on the stage and how the US company does with them.

Despite the seemingly "meh" reviews it got, there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for it on the boards here. Thanks for all the reviews.

The 80s were my coming of age years so this packs a huge level of interest for me, even though being a left coaster my upbringing and lifestyle were more Less than Zero than the corporate dynamics involved in American Psycho.

Can't wait to see this in a couple of weeks.

songanddanceman2
#191AP Review
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:19pm

Enjoy, and I'm sorry but the critics who didn't like it missed the mark big time.

Jose Profile Photo
Jose
#192AP Review
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:00pm

"American Psycho the Musical" is brilliant in my opinion.  I've seen it twice now and will be going again soon. Ben Walker has the three requisites of a true stage star: talent, confidence and good-looks. Heléne Yorke is a comic genius.  The music is unexpected and hypnotic, the choreography is unique and fresh.  The satire is on the mark and it is outrageously funny.  The overall effect is one of, "Damn, this is a musical!"

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#193AP Review
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:01pm

Still not over that note Ben hit in Killing Time.

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

theatreguy12
#194AP Review
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:13pm

Helene Yorke was fantastic in Bullets Over Broadway too!

emilythecool
#195AP Review
Posted: 5/2/16 at 11:52pm

Accidentally bought a ticket for the wrong day. Whoops. Selling for $90. 

• 1 Ticket, Right Orchestra Row Q seat 6

Message me. Will find a way to get it to you when I am in NYC starting Thurs May 5.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#196AP Review
Posted: 5/3/16 at 2:11am

That note is not high or impressive at all. But yes. Walker is astonishing in the role. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#197AP Review
Posted: 5/9/16 at 9:36am

Saw this on Saturday. Got to the TKTS booth just before 1:30, looking for a matinee and the board was full of options. No lines, so we went right up and asked what they had for this show and got 9th row center (next to folks in house seats). Show was fun, but it's got a bunch of problems. Benjamin Walker is very good (and easy on the eyes for the ladies) as Patrick Bateman, but his is the only character that is more than a caricature. Alice Ripley is a great actress but is totally wasted in 3 small roles in this show. Selling Out, is great, but I kept on hearing "Rolling in the Deep" as source material. The rest of the original songs are trite and non-memorable.

brian1973
#198AP Review
Posted: 5/9/16 at 9:39am

Wee Thomas2 said: "Saw this on Saturday. Got to the TKTS booth just before 1:30, looking for a matinee and the board was full of options. No lines, so we went right up and asked what they had for this show and got 9th row center (next to folks in house seats). Show was fun, but it's got a bunch of problems. Benjamin Walker is very good (and easy on the eyes for the ladies) as Patrick Bateman, but his is the only character that is more than a caricature. Alice Ripley is a great actress but is totally wasted in 3 small roles in this show. Selling Out, is great, but I kept on hearing "Rolling in the Deep" as source material. The rest of the original songs are trite and non-memorable.

So basically you LOVED it? Haha

"

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#199AP Review
Posted: 5/9/16 at 9:55am

wrong thread, sorry, do not want to be yelled at! 

When They Go Low, I Go High
Updated On: 5/9/16 at 09:55 AM

Videos