pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 8

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#175ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 1:57pm

Boykin was so good in Sunday in the Park!

I was hoping Jordan Fisher might be in it. I loved his performance earlier this year at miscast:

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#176ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 3:31pm

Aww I was hoping that LaChanze would play Mama Euralie, but Kenita is wonderful.  Maybe there's hope she'll play Erzulie?

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#177ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 3:46pm

Wick3 said: "Boykin was so good in Sunday in the Park!

I was hoping Jordan Fisher might be in it. I loved his performance earlier this year at miscast:

how bout FIsher as Anatole in Great Comet?

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#178ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 3:46pm

This is wonderful casting so far and I hear there are some amazing surprises for the rest of the roles.

Very exciting.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#179ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:36pm

^ Care to give us a hint?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#180ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:50pm

So, we're waiting to hear about all 4 gods and Ti Moune....am I forgetting anyone?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#181ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 7:54pm

You are right Dramamama, There will be a TONY Winner in that group and TiMoune is a bright new talent who will knock your socks off. The Gods will definitely be otherworldly.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#182ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 7:59pm

CurtainPullDowner said: "You are right Dramamama, There will be a TONY Winner in that group and TiMoune is a bright new talent who will knock your socks off. The Gods will definitely be otherworldly."

Can't wait for the drama.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#183ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:14pm

Oooo I know this is a long shot since he wants to focus more on other mediums, but I would love to see Leslie Odom Jr. as Papa Ge! Plus, he is a Tony winner... I'm very excited for this!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#184ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:39pm

I would love to see LaChanze as Asaka, just to have some hardcore, theater career full circle moments.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#185ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:58pm

Maddie, I get the feeling, based on interviews, that Leslie Odom Jr. is kind of done with Broadway for a while. I'm gonna go with Anika Noni Rose; I heard the character she was playing on a TV show just got killed or died. 

PurpleSummerHathaway Profile Photo
PurpleSummerHathaway
#186ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:03pm

ElphabaGoodman said: "Heard through the grapevine that a newcomer by then name of Hailey Kilgore will be playing Ti Moune this fall....

clip for reference: https://youtu.be/uhmkJoAgh9M

"In case anyone was wondering, she was in the reading of Rodney Hicks' new play last month.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Casting-Announced-for-COME-FROM-AWAYs-Rodney-Hicks-New-Play-NC-17-20170627

Looks like an amazing talent though, and she was only a freshman in high school in that video! 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#187ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:09pm

I would kill to hear Heather Headley sing "Part of the Human Heart."

VintageSnarker
#188ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:13pm

What? I didn't see the casting in the article either. How did they not cast Kenita as Erzulie or Asaka? She needs a solo. 

JSquared2
#189ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:14pm

Don't forget---this is a Davenport production. No way is Ken paying for an A List star --- not even a Broadway A-Lister!!

GeorgeandDot
#190ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:29pm

^I don't think this is very true.  Didn't he produce The Bridges of Madison County and The Visit?  Both had Broadway stars in them.  Spring Awakening didn't, but I don't think that's a typical thing for him.

VintageSnarker
#191ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:51pm

GeorgeandDot said: "^I don't think this is very true.  Didn't he produce The Bridges of Madison County and The Visit?  Both had Broadway stars in them.  Spring Awakening didn't, but I don't think that's a typical thing for him.

I don't think he was lead producer on those two. Daddy Long Legs didn't have stars. At the time, I'm not sure if any of the cast of Godspell could be considered stars, even by theater standards. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#192ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:53pm

He also had Hunter Parrish and Corbin Bleu play Jesus in Godspell as well as Alan Cumming starring in Macbeth.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#193ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 10:00pm

Also appearing in the cast as Storytellers?

They are adding a chorus to this?  Why?  The whole point is to have the small cast perform all the characters. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

dramamama611
#194ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:32pm

I've never seen it done that way. (I've also never seen it done professionally. )

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GeorgeandDot
#195ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:39pm

The original production had a cast of 11.  I'm not really upset about the larger cast.  It's an odd choice considering how small Circle in the Square is, but the music will sound fuller.

dramamama611
#196ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:43pm

Interesting,  I didn't realize. 

VintageSnarker
#197ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:55pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The original production had a cast of 11.  I'm not really upset about the larger cast.  It's an odd choice considering how small Circle in the Square is, but the music will sound fuller.

I only hope the larger cast doesn't get them in trouble when it comes to selling tickets. That is, larger cast means more weekly salaries to pay.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#198ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 2:46am

The small cast playing all parts was much of the charm in the original. It is a small group of storytellers telling a little girl the story, no need for added performers. 

The original was a financial hit due to the low costs, this doesn't sound that great now.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

GeorgeandDot
#199ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:17am

^I'll reserve my judgment until I see the show, but I did love the intimacy of the original production.  I wonder how a larger ensemble will be put to use.  It's very possible that they might be part of the orchestra, since Starobin spoke about incorporating all kinds of objects into his new orchestrations.

Videos