GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#175GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:59pm

neonlightsxo said: "I'll repeat myself, since this is the Groundhog Day thread. They didn't make any changes after London, they're not going to make them now.

"

Thank you for being the voice of the creative team! I am sure (no, positive) that only after 4 days of previews they are happy with their product as is. 

FrontLtGuy
#176GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:59pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "The comparison made to American Psycho (which I also grew to have an affection for) was not that the actual material/presentation is similar, but that Groundhog Day is generating the same polarizing response that American Psycho received. Pretty hard to argue against that in this thread. 

"

Except that Groundhog Day has only had 5 previews...AP had a strong intriegue going into performances that wound up in disappointment, where as this appears to have quite  the opposite effect in my opinion, based on the reactions in the theater, not the reviews on this board

FrontLtGuy
#177GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:02am

GreasedLightning said: "neonlightsxo said: "I'll repeat myself, since this is the Groundhog Day thread. They didn't make any changes after London, they're not going to make them now.

"

Thank you for being the voice of the creative team! I am sure (no, positive) that only after 4 days of previews they are happy with their product as is. 

"

Thank you!!!!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#178GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:02am

After Eight said: "In short, horrible.

But since this musical is horribly long, it's extra horrible.

The protagonist is upset at being trapped in the town. He should know how it feels to be trapped at this musical for nearly three hours!

Note to the creators: "Oxen" is the plural of "ox." One does not add an "s" to "oxen."

OMG I totally agree...this was a calamity. What a waste of time!!!??? How can anyone think this would make a good musical?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#179GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:08am

FrontLtGuy said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "The comparison made to American Psycho (which I also grew to have an affection for) was not that the actual material/presentation is similar, but that Groundhog Day is generating the same polarizing response that American Psycho received. Pretty hard to argue against that in this thread. 

"

Except that Groundhog Day has only had 5 previews...AP had a strong intriegue going into performances that wound up in disappointment, where as this appears to have quite  the opposite effect in my opinion, based on the reactions in the theater, not the reviews on this board

American Psycho proved to be one more divisive musicals on Broadway in the past five years, and yes that was evident even after only five previews. It was a disappointment to some, not all. For every disappointed customer there was an equally ardent fan. 

And I really enjoyed Groundhog Day, but I heard people in front of me grumbling about it at intermission and a friend last night (not seated near me) absolutely loathed it. It's clear there were many papered audience members, understandable for a Monday night in previews, but you can never judge a show's success based on first/early preview response or I guarantee you that 9 to 5 would still be running today! 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 3/22/17 at 12:08 AM

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#180GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:12am

carnzee said: "I was looking forward to your review, Skimbleshanks. I knew it would be a rave, but it's nice to read enthusiastic reviews from people like you and Dollypop on the Hello, Dolly! thread. It's great to see theatre bringing so much joy! I'm happy for you and your husband. 

"

Thank you so much; that means a lot to me and my husband... We have been quite emotional this past week, to say the least!!

And yes, my crazy a*** already has three more sets of tickets LOL...I'll be supporting my Broadway husband, ANDY KARL, for as long as this show runs (even if it's only for a few more months LOL!!)

And the negative reviews here bum me out, because as people have said, the audience really had a great time at my show... it's SUCH a fun time at the theater, in an already A+ level season!! Really, the only bad show I've seen lately is WAR PAINT (ughhh more on that momentarily...)

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Boq101
#181GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 4:06am

I was there last night and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The show did feel long but I do think the repetition of scenes doesn't help that case. If I were to cut anything I'd go for the doctor song (totally superfluous, if anything you can keep Josh Lamon's part and cut the rest) and tighten up the car chase in the truck song. I think those who say act 1 and 2 are very different are correct, and if anything they  need to just get things to move a little faster in act one. We all know it's coming. They did a lot of "do overs" in act 2 that I felt could have easily been used once or twice in act 1. Also the fact that random characters also have songs. Nancy, we don't care. Not in the least. Overall some AMAZING staging and wonderful performances. That man has star power. 

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#182GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 7:09am

FrontLtGuy said: "theatregoer3 said: "Oy. Here tonight. This is just not good. It starts off poorly and - with the exception of some very brief moments - it doesn't get better.

I overheard the creatives - Tim Minchin and I would assume the director and book writer - and they were discussing minor staging issues as they related to the mics. So they're clearly focused on tweaking whereas this is in need of an overhaul.

Reeve Carney was in the lobby. I was reminded of Spider-Man's preview period. The creative team for that show kept saying that they couldn't make any major changes due to the time it took to reprogram the automation. While this show has fewer moving pieces, that stage floor with all of its revolves must take a lot of time to program and choreograph. 

All this to say that I don't think we'll see this show evolving any further beyond what was seen last Friday. 

On a side note, the back few rows of the balcony are entirely empty. At the start of intermission everyone around me started talking about how much they hated the show. 

The positive? The August Wilson Theater is a gem! It was my first time in it and the unique lobby layout was so great!

"

I was at the last two previews, and it sounds like everyone is loving the show. The entire house is on its feet for lights up at the call. I find it to be a solid piece of contemporary theater. The story is well delivered in a non traditional way and supported by a very enjoyable score. Andy Karl is brilliant, and in my opinion, blows Ben Platt away... If you don't like a show, it does not automatically mean that it has no future on broadway or constitutes any re-writes. It's different but totally enjoyable. It will appeal to plenty of people.. maybe less so of the hardcore theatre fanatics.. but luckily there are plenty of people willing to pay for a ticket on broadway that just want to be entertained and aren't criticizing every frame. And broadway is just about making money in the end!  I bet the reviews are positive come April. I thought American in Paris would be a total flop and it did well for itself, and made all of its money back. 

ALSO: the fact that anyone could compare this to American Psycho is Hilarious!!!!! Just because its a British import??? makes no sense whatsoever. 

"

There are many parallels between American Psycho here. We're not comparing its tone, style, or music... just the situation. They are both shows that were daring in their staging and ambitious in what they were trying to accomplish... yet neither show was able to pull off what they were aiming for, and they divided audiences... and they both got raves in London. 

Also... I rather liked Groundhog Day... but I don't think Andy Karl's performance in anywhere near the tour de force performance that Ben Platt is giving in DEH. Ben Platt is easily giving the best performance of the decade. I haven't seen a performance on Broadway that was this good since Alice Ripley won for N2N. 

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#183GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 7:12am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "carnzee said: "I was looking forward to your review, Skimbleshanks. I knew it would be a rave, but it's nice to read enthusiastic reviews from people like you and Dollypop on the Hello, Dolly! thread. It's great to see theatre bringing so much joy! I'm happy for you and your husband. 

"

Thank you so much; that means a lot to me and my husband... We have been quite emotional this past week, to say the least!!

And yes, my crazy a*** already has three more sets of tickets LOL...I'll be supporting my Broadway husband, ANDY KARL, for as long as this show runs (even if it's only for a few more months LOL!!)

And the negative reviews here bum me out, because as people have said, the audience really had a great time at my show... it's SUCH a fun time at the theater, in an already A+ level season!! Really, the only bad show I've seen lately is WAR PAINT (ughhh more on that momentarily...)

"

War Paint is bad... but it's so bad that it's GOOD. You've just gotta sit back and enjoy the camp. Bitching and Belting... what more could any gay man ask for? (sorry for War Paint digression in the Groundhog Day thread)

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#184GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 7:48am

"War Paint is bad... but it's so bad that it's GOOD. You've just gotta sit back and enjoy the camp. Bitching and Belting... what more could any gay man ask for?"

Good music and a compelling story and characters, maybe? I spent 90% of WAR PAINT bored out of my mind.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#185GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:08am

themysteriousgrowl said: "I spent 90% of WAR PAINT bored out of my mind."

Was the 10% intermission?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#186GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:20am

I logged on to Grindr during intermission, and everyone in the seeable grid was less than 100 feet away.

Oh, and "Pink" was very good.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#188GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:33am

Everyone keeps saying this is a story told in a non-traditional way. How so? Are you referring to the story itself or this staging of the story? 

The "non-traditional" story - as in the repetitive nature of it - is not new. Many people have already seen the movie or have an idea of what it's about. So I don't see how that's a selling point. It's still the same story they could have paid $9.99 to see Bill Murray tell.

If you're referring to the staging, I don't think it was non-traditional. The car chase was fun but we were all so bored by that point that we were just happy to be entertained. It comes after that useless drinking song. The constant use of the revolves started to make me a bit woozy. I also felt that they gave the illusion that the show was moving along briskly even though the book was slow and dull. As someone stated earlier, the best lines are the ones pulled from the movie. Like "Rocky", people were only laughing at what they recognized. 

Glad that previous audiences enjoyed it. Maybe it was something in the air, but the folks in the mezz last night were pretty miserable. Actually, one guy in the corner of the mess was having a BLAST, so. There's that.

perfectliar
#189GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:46am

FrontLtGuy said: "Yes it did. The show cost about 12M and Made about 12m back. "

Not according to any source I could find. They never announced recoupment.

MyLife
#190GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:58am

I have t agree with theatregoer3. Aside from a small group in the last three rows of the rear mezzanine Saturday night, the rest of the mezzanine seemed very bored with polite and tepid clapping throughout the show. The most exciting part of the show for us was the tech stop...

neonlightsxo
#191GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:00am

American in Paris did not make its money back. And we'll see if I'm right about no changes being made.

sparkledust
#192GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:05am

neonlightsxo said: "American in Paris did not make its money back. And we'll see if I'm right about no changes being made."

It came damn close though - closer than most shows.

theatregoer3
#193GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:06am

One more thing (I can't shut up!): the comparisons to American Psycho are misaligned. Psycho was a solid adaptation that nailed the source material and was presented in a truly inspired way. Historically, that material has always been controversial and would undoubtedly divide people in any form. Hamilton and Psycho were perfect bookends to the theater season showing the birth of the American dream followed by the brutal reality of our American nightmare. It was an illustration of the Obama administration giving way to Trump. 

Groundhog Day is like Ghost: The Musical or Elf: The Musical. I bought my ticket to Groundhog after the Psycho comparisons and I wish I had known better.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#194GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 10:26am

"Psycho was a solid adaptation that nailed the source material and was presented in a truly inspired way."

You state this as if it is fact, which it is most certainly not. 

"Hamilton and Psycho were perfect bookends to the theater season showing the birth of the American dream followed by the brutal reality of our American nightmare. It was an illustration of the Obama administration giving way to Trump. "

I'm sorry, but what? I understand the new constant need to connect everything to our current political climate, but c'mon. This is just pushing it.

theatregoer3
#195GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 10:44am

Explain to me why you disagree.

Do you know the source material upon which Psycho was based? Have you read all of Ellis' books? Could you have an educated discussion about the adaptation from one source to another? Or were you an audience member who maybe saw the movie version and just didn't like the piece? It's fine either way.

The book upon which Pyscho was based is a direct response to Trump's New York of the 80's and 90's. Trump is Bateman's hero and is referenced constantly throughout. They discuss his book, his buildings, his apartments, his wife, his kids...Bateman is obsessed. The musical's creative team was smart to remove a lot of that so as to not pull the audience out of the story as it sits in today's political climate. Additionally, the book and musical adaptation address how shallow and hollow our society has become under capitalism's constant push into every facet of our lives. How is this not interesting when placed in response to the story of this country's creation as seen through the eyes of it's Treasury Secretary, the man who founded America's banks?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#196GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 10:45am

themysteriousgrowl said: "I logged on to Grindr during intermission, and everyone in the seeable grid was less than 100 feet away."

That makes sense.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#197GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 10:54am

theatregoer3 said: "If you're referring to the staging, I don't think it was non-traditional. The car chase was fun but we were all so bored by that point that we were just happy to be entertained. It comes after that useless drinking song. The constant use of the revolves started to make me a bit woozy."

There have been several references to what seems to be a unique approach to the staging in this show. Could someone please describe the set design technology (you can put it in a SPOILER box if necessary) to paint a clearer picture of how this works for those of us who are fascinated by this sort of thing?

theatregoer3
#198GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 11:02am

I'm sorry - I don't know how to do a spoiler box, so...

SPOILERS

The cyc, headers, and legs are scrims covering LED panels. These allow for certain effects like fireworks and snow. It's all used in a subtle and smart way.

The stage is a series of revolves - there's a main revolve, a mid-sized revolve within that one and then three smaller revolves within that. It's reminiscent of the stage floor for Shrek. These revolves are choreographed in ways to allow people or set pieces to travel in a straight line from the back of the stage to the front. Pieces - like the car - can be moved almost anywhere on the stage depending on how the revolves are arranged. When all of the revolves are moving at once with people or set pieces on all of them it looks a bit like a carnival ride. That's when I started to feel woozy :) Cheers to all of the programmers making that stage move - it must have been a long process.

Everything else about the set is pretty standard. 

Updated On: 3/22/17 at 11:02 AM

FrontLtGuy
#199GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 11:03am

Lot666 said: "theatregoer3 said: "If you're referring to the staging, I don't think it was non-traditional. The car chase was fun but we were all so bored by that point that we were just happy to be entertained. It comes after that useless drinking song. The constant use of the revolves started to make me a bit woozy."

There have been several references to what seems to be a unique approach to the staging in this show. Could someone please describe the set design technology (you can put it in a SPOILER box if necessary) to paint a clearer picture of how this works for those of us who are fascinated by this sort of thing?

there are 5 turntables in the floor and the portals and back wall are LED video with textured scrim on the ds side

"

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#200GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 11:14am

theatregoer3 said: "I'm sorry - I don't know how to do a spoiler box, so..."

When you're composing your post, look for the [+] icon near the right side of the toolbar, next to the smiley icon. Click that and it will insert a gray SPOILER box in which you can hide the potentially offending content.

theatregoer3 said: "SPOILERS

The cyc, headers, and legs are scrims covering LED panels. These allow for certain effects like fireworks and snow. It's all used in a subtle and smart way.

The stage is a series of revolves - there's a main revolve, a mid-sized revolve within that one and then three smaller revolves within that. It's reminiscent of the stage floor for Shrek. These revolves are choreographed in ways to allow people or set pieces to travel in a straight line from the back of the stage to the front. Pieces - like the car - can be moved almost anywhere on the stage depending on how the revolves are arranged. When all of the revolves are moving at once with people or set pieces on all of them it looks a bit like a carnival ride. That's when I started to feel woozy :) Cheers to all of the programmers making that stage move - it must have been a long process.
"

Wow! My mental picture of the above is far from clear, but it definitely sounds complex and perhaps even trail-blazing. To date, the highest number of revolves I've seen in a show was for American Psycho. I'd love to see video, or at least pics, of this. Has anybody come across a "making of" or "behind the scenes" type video for this show on BWW or Playbill.com?

Videos