News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy- Page 8

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#175Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:51am

haterobics said: "Dave28282 said: "But he consented to the whole fable. By doing so he gave off a message that it could be true. Which was unprofessional."

Seems like a stretch. He was going into a show for a few weeks, and his casting because the source of controversy, supposedly unbeknownst to him, so he bailed rather than become a part of it.
"

True, but he already was part of the situation. Bailing is also taking a standpoint. He basically had 2 choices, staying or running away. I feel the only fair thing to do was to stay. Because no fable should ever prevent you from doing your job. And he clearly left a bad taste in some peple's mouth after running away in fear for the great big race fable. It gave the fable makers a lot of power.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#176Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:51am

LMM hasn't weighed in because LMM is extremely savvy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#177Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:54am

Scarywarhol said: "Plenty of explicitly racist sentiments from that one in the past."

None

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#178Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 12:18pm

Of course there is racism on this board at times. There's racism everywhere in society; it's systemic.

Now back to Oak. What publicist thought it was a good idea to bring this back up and tie his name to this debacle again, even to try to rewrite the events more favorably?

A better PR tactic would've been, "I'm ready to move on and wish them the best."

Andy Karl is still very employable because he's not doing press trash-talking the producers of either failed show he carried, which nearly any actor could do nearly any time a show doesn't succeed (and sometimes even when it does). The strategy is stupid.

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 12:18 PM

theater_tech
#179Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 2:49pm

hmph said: "I really wish I could have been a fly on a wall in the Ghost Quartet dress rehearsal/Great Comet reunion. For their reactions to this continued nonsense, of course, and just because I really like this cast."

I have a deep attachment to the cast as well. They seem to truly be like a family, even working with one another, hanging out together post-Comet, and supporting each other on their individual shows.

It’s come to a point where I feel truly happy for anyone in the cast who has found work after Comet. They deserve it.

Fosse76
#180Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 2:57pm

BJR said: "What publicist thought it was a good idea to bring this back up and tie his name to this debacle again, even to try to rewrite the events more favorably?"

I wouldn't be surprised if he is being rejected by casting agents and this is an attempt to "clear" his name. But the truth is he wasn't even remotely known, and now everyone who knows his name associates it with this debacle.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#181Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 4:02pm

Mary Page Nance and other great Comet cast members cultivated diversity last night at ghost quartets dress rehearsal Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/5/17 at 04:02 PM

Mediamaven2
#182Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 6:41pm

bear88 said: "I should quit posting about Great Comet, just like Onaodowan should stop talking about it.

Bear88 I am glad you kept chiming in because on this -and the other threads which I only lurked and read- you have been really lucid through so much emotion on many sides. Your last two sentences (with context below) really say it all, in a nutshell that no one can deny. I add boldface to it for emphasis:

his Great Comet wasn't going to last too much longer at the Imperial no matter what Onaodowan did. Neither he nor Cynthia Erivo or Rafael Casal killed the musical. It was a flawed financial endeavor that required the producers to catch every break and for the show to become a sensation. But it didn't have to die ugly. And I do blame Onaodowan, an artist who should respect the hard work of his colleagues, for that."

Speed
#183Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:03pm

I'm back.

A. I am Eric.  Not the other guy.

B. Mandy is wayyyyyy more unprofessional than Oak.  He quit a network TV show by merely not showing up.    Probably the most unprofessional thing an actor can do.  He also missed a ton of performances of The Wild Party and was very hard to work with when he did show up.

C.  I am more famous than most people on Broadway.  I'm not bragging.  Just the way it is.  My work is seen everyday all over the world and I am recognized often in public because of it.  Am I star? No.  Am I entitled to a role on Broadway or anywhere for that matter?  No.  Do most people know who I am?  No. There is so much content out there that it is hard for anyone to achieve across the board fame.  And I'm certainly not famous on board where most people only care about Broadway though I have been in the chorus of a Broadway show once.  I'm more famous than Andy Karl in say, Wales but Andy Karl is more famous than me among regular theatergoers.  If you don't know who I am, it's because you haven't watched Bones but millions of people have and to those people, I'm very famous.  But the whole reason I brought it up wasn't to brag but actually quite the opposite, to say I'm not entitled to work because I was on a network TV show.

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 09:03 PM

Call_me_jorge
#184Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:09pm

^care to comment on mary’s Instagram story and what that might say the casts attitude toward oak?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Speed
#185Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:09pm

dramamama611 said: "One tv show hardly makes one "famous". His IMDB list is pretty short, and unimpressive. I have never heard is name, never watched the one show. Even looking at his pix, I've never seen him before. He could walk through Manhattan (and likely LA) with very few people noticing him. There aren't very many actors that just get to play whatever roles they "ask for"."

Go to IMDB Pro.  Check out my STARMeter rating.  Then compare to your favorite Broadway actors.  Not bragging.  Just stating facts.

Speed
#186Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:13pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^care to comment on mary’s Instagram story and what that might say the casts attitude toward oak?"

I don't know what you are referring to.

Speed
#187Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:15pm

haterobics said: "adamgreer said: "In that case, I stand corrected. I still don't consider him to be all that famous, and his arrogance (" I, personally, am more famous than most people on Broadway" ) is even more of a turn-off."

Anyone on a TV show as a series regular is pretty much more famous than most people on Broadway. That's not a wild boast.

But to quote that bit, without including the reason why he had to post that "...but I'm not entitled to their roles if I ask to play them." seems to remove his context for saying it regarding the Mandy situation.
"

Exactly

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#188Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:21pm

Good Christ. It’s just getting embarrassing, Speed. 

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 09:21 PM

Speed
#189Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:26pm

hmph said: "Good Christ. It’s just getting embarrassing, Speed."

Ok.  I'll stop.  Peace.

theater_tech
PaulWom
#191Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:37pm

Nick Belton weighs in with a comment on Mary Page's post

"Thank you. I think our friend has yet to shake his reputation. Or maybe it’s just his own guilt eating away that causes him to continuously run his mouth even after the damage has been done, further perpetuating his own BS."

I'm so here for the Comet cast finally telling the truth and spilling the tea

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 10:37 PM

PaulWom
#192Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:51pm

I honestly wish more would follow the lead of Mary Page, Nick Belton, Celia Rubin, etc. in speaking the truth about what Comet was, and the truth about the person who makes such ridiculous and false comments against it. To me, their speaking out certifies the true legacy of what this show was, and doesn't allow one person's ego to corrupt that legacy. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#193Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:45pm

He probably felt safe to say what he had to say because he knows no Broadway or even off-Broadway producer in their right mind will ever cast him in the foreseeable future. He's hoping playing this angle in a nationally-published magazine and being named in this feature will get his name out there where he can have enough of a following from new people who may read this to take his acting career elsewhere.

I sense someone convinced him or he's deluded enough to come to this conclusion on his own, that he really will come off as the next Kaepernick and can make a career out of being a social justice advocate. However, whoever advised him that this was the direction to go has bad judgment as I think it really nailed the coffin on the one viable avenue he could have taken his career, and in order to be a Kaepernick, he has to actually believe in a higher cause and not just be vexed about something that happened to him personally. Absent that sincerity and the facts to make his case legitimate, he has nothing of substance to allow him to make a career out of that. Plus, outside the few days people spoke about Great Comet's race controversy, nobody outside this board and the Broadway community who was affected by this really cares.

He better hope his friend Rafael can continue get funding for his projects and will continually cast him in perpetuity just so he can still get paid to act.

Side note, not only was that article and his quotes incredibly annoying to read, but the accompanying picture with his whole smug face looking like he had something really important and insightful to say about this just turns me off. I know this part is petty as hell, but I can't help it. 

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 11:45 PM

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#194Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 12:52am

PaulWom said: "Nick Belton weighs in with a comment on Mary Page's post

"Thank you. I think our friend has yet to shake his reputation. Or maybe it’s just his own guilt eating away that causes him to continuously run his mouth even after the damage has been done, further perpetuating his own BS."

I'm so here for the Comet cast finally telling the truth and spilling the tea
"

Erica Dorfler and Brad Giovanine liked Nicholas Belton's comment, and Billy Joe Kiessling and Blaine Krouse also commented with support. This cast is way classier than I would be in the same situation, but I'm sure they have tales to tell...

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#196Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 2:08am

I have to say, it was so strange to see people cheering Mandy bowing out when it all went down, even after Dave let it be known that he was urgently needed to save their finances. A couple of the cast members mentioned a rehearsal with him and (possibly the only one they had with him?) and it sounded amazing. 

I was reading the comments on the Forbes article and one of them said "[Oak] emailed members of the cast details of Patinkins hiring before he should have, divulging parts of the contract that were not supposed to be made public." Anyone know what that's about? 

VintageSnarker
#197Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 2:37am

Speed said: "I'm more famous than Andy Karl in say, Wales but Andy Karl is more famous than me among regular theatergoers. If you don't know who I am, it's because you haven't watched Bones but millions of people have and to those people, I'm very famous."

Do they get Law & Order: SVU in Wales?

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#198Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 6:03am

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: I sense someone convinced him or he's deluded enough to come to this conclusion on his own, that he really will come off as the next Kaepernick and can make a career out of being a social justice advocate. However, whoever advised him that this was the direction to go has bad judgment as I think it really nailed the coffin on the one viable avenue he could have taken his career, and in order to be a Kaepernick, he has to actually believe in a higher cause and not just be vexed about something that happened to him personally. Absent that sincerity and the facts to make his case legitimate, he has nothing of substance to allow him to make a career out of that."

I think you hit the nail on it's head here. Because exploiting that victim role is what he did in The Great Comet, what he is still doing right now and probably always has done. It's his limited worldview. A lack of ability to reason. I have said it before, this is a big part of the core of the problem.

I don't think he can ever change this because he doesn't know better/has never learned how to reason outside of it. This attitude therefore apparently works "addictive" in a way because it gives him a certain kind of power. Playing this card so you will be seen as a "hero" and anyone who disagrees with that is racist of course. He is the noble victim.

If people like this do not learn how to reason and behave in a healthy way, there will never be equality. And they are responsible.

Because in this situation he was treated as a human. He chose to react in color. And is now still exploiting that.

Updated On: 10/6/17 at 06:03 AM

Call_me_jorge
#199Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 6:09am

Can Cynthia and Rafael just come out and apologize. Or admit that they were wrong, at least.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#200Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 6:20am

Well I have seen some very tragic posters on this board over the years,but speed takes the cake.. dude get some new meds 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Videos