pixeltracker

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews- Page 8

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews

rattleNwoolypenguin
#175BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 12:27pm

getupngo said: "100% Whizzer. I don't think penguin understands the meaning of adaptation vs original"

Of course I know what an adaptation vs original is. I’m not stupid.  I work in this industry.

but to the lay man, Elizabeth Spencer’s novella/an obscure out of print for years 1950s film that runs on TCM every once in a while, that gets turned into a musical called “Light in the Piazza” is not a known property they would immediately gravitate to unlike a Lion King or School of Rock.

I mean come on, I’m sure there are Sondheim fans out there who still probably don’t know who Ingmar Bergman is and A Little Night Music is Smiles of a Summer’s Night.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#176BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 2:31pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Skip, I agree that Legally Blonde is underrated and the best of the bunch. There are some clunkers in the score to be sure (Blood in the Water anyone?) and no one is going to confuse it with Passing Strange or Sunday in the Park, but it wasn’t trying to be those shows either.

The lyrics are often clever and fun, almost all of Elle’s material is well-written and some of the melodies are infectious earworms.

"

I just saw the movie for the first time about a month ago (!!!!), and it's great how the musical expands and (IMHO) makes everything better.  Unlike so many other adaptations.

JSquared2
#177BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 2:39pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Of course I know what an adaptation vs original is. I’m not stupid. I work in this industry.

But does your husband work in the area??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#178BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 3:02pm

Whether or not the original property is known does not make a musical adaptation of it more original. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#179BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 3:18pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I’m not stupid. I work in this industry."

I'm sure people can be stupid AND work in this (or any) industry...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#180BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 4:04pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "y’all are deciding to be frosty queens and ignore what I’m actually saying and missing my point."

To be fair, you kept ignoring the point first.

You just kept reiterating the same point, that an unknown property is not a guaranteed hot ticket just because it was an unknown movie or novel. A point no one disagrees about.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#181BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 7:50pm

Rushed the show last Friday. Having seen the show off broadway and not being too crazy about it I can very much confirm that this production is MUCH better. I'd go as far as to say Im a bit of a fan but the fans of this show have such a bad reputation (rightly so) that I wouldn't want people thinking I was like that. ALSO it was Troys first show and let me tell ya, he is incredible! I have a feelings many of us on this board are underestimating Be More Chills potential! The Stans have won!

Updated On: 2/20/19 at 07:50 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#182BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 8:15pm

per a friend who's at the show tonight, Salazar is still out.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#183BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 8:40pm

From what I've heard and read here...It sounds that most everyone prefers this Troy Iwota dude over Salazar as he looks and is much younger 27 than Salazar will be 33 in March (looks much older) and Troy is a far better singer and actor. I wonder if they may replace him?

Personally, not a fan of Salazar from what I've seen him in.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/20/19 at 08:40 PM

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#184BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 8:47pm

Is it weird that I feel bad saying that?

Troy truly is a talent. You feel for him in that role. I actually felt really bad. With the stuff I've seen of George, it kinda feels like he brings a more "WTF BRO" approach instead of Troy's "Hey...remember me buddy?"

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

InTheBathroom1
#185BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 9:14pm

I almost think that George has done the song so many times but Troy is still making discoveries in it so it feels fresh. It’s a different take on Michael that I enjoy, Troy seems more fragile and I think he’s easier to empathize with.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#186BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 9:18pm

I hope George feels better soon. Does anyone know if Troy is doing the vroadwaycom vlog this week for George?

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#187BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 9:20pm

Troy would have a better shot at winning a tony then George.

George just doesn't look like a high schooler, and I feel bad since he has been with the production for so long, but he just seems so burnt out.

Troy just brings this fresh take to Michael.

When you look at troy you think wow, I’ve been there before, I’m watching anexity get the best of this kid

And with george it’s wow, I’m watching an adult fake a teeanger but the song’s catchy.

I saw them both off broadway.

They would never replace him, he has been with them
for so long, but sometimes being loyal is what brings your production down.

YvanEhtNioj
#188BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 9:47pm

Not for nothing, but one of my best friends is there right now. He just texted me this. Kinda funny. 

Thots on the show:
- act 1 didn’t feel too long to me
- the main guys voice is grating and whiney af, his songs are talk-singy and with that voice it’s hard to listen to for too long
- ugh I love Jason Tam
- Salazar’s understudy is on and what a cutie
- love the dumb popular girl, those characters always appeal to me
- the main theatre girl is v funny too

Updated On: 2/20/19 at 09:47 PM

YvanEhtNioj
#189BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 9:50pm

I do agree with an earlier post - I think people on this board are hating the show "just because". No, not everyone, but there's some shade and hate given for no reason. I get if it's your cup of tea, but it's bringing a new generation into theatre and I'm very happy and thankful for that.

CedricOates
#190BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 10:17pm

Unless its absolutely necessary, they would never replace George right as they made it to Broadway. He’s shown loyalty and they’ll show it back to him

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#191BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 10:24pm

_(•_&bullBE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews_/ said: "Troy would have a better shot at winning a tony then George.

George just doesn't look like a high schooler, and I feel bad since he has been with the production for so long, but he just seems so burnt out.
"

I have a hard time believing whether George looking like he's in high school would be a deciding factor for tony voters...

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#192BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 10:33pm

You really love pulling stuff out of context to fit your narrative don’t you?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#193BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 10:36pm

_(•_&bullBE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews_/ said: "You really love pulling stuff out of context to fit your narrative don’t you?"

You mean quoting the bit I find interesting to comment on?! Not sure how else to do it... 

After Eight
#194BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 11:06pm

"George just doesn't look like a high schooler"

Nor did other cast members when I saw the show off-Broadway. I felt that was a real detriment to the show. This problem seems to occur again and again in these high-school musicals. In some cases, the students look so old that they could be teachers. 

Annette170
#195BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 11:12pm

After Eight said: ""George just doesn't look like a high schooler"

Nor did other cast members when I saw the show off-Broadway. I felt that was a real detriment to the show. Thisproblem seems to occur again and again inthese high-school musicals. In some cases, thestudents look so old that they could be teachers.

That’s how I felt about Ben Platt in Dear Evan Hansen ...he looked too old. Taylor Trensch was more believable to me. 

After Eight
#196BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 11:17pm

"Elizabeth Spencer’s novella/an obscure out of print for years 1950s film that runs on TCM every once in a while,"

For the record, a 1962 film.

After Eight
#197BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/20/19 at 11:42pm

"On one side of me there was a fan dressed in one of the character’s costumes who screamed, hooted, hollered and sobbed through the whole thing (it seemed to be about making it all about herself than anything else)""

I certainly understand how such behavior can affect another person's enjoyment of a show adversely.

My question, however, is this:

Why does behavior of this sort by a fan at Be More Chill merit rebuke, while at the same time equally obnoxious whoo-whooing at numerous shows and ostentatious weeping and wailing at shows like Sunday in the Park with George and Bridges of Madison County are deemed not only acceptable, but something to boast about with pride on a theatre chat board?

YvanEhtNioj
#198BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 12:48am

Originally, I was one of the main people here saying "the cast looks way too old". But after seeing it on broadway, I didn't really care. Yes, they still looked older but it made the roles even more funny. Especially since they're singing about sex, masturbation, self harm, and drugs. I still think that the mean girls / Prom cast is much more believable as highschooler’s but because of the subject matter here...I think it works. When I was seeing the show in action I didn’t care at all. I was focused on the talent .

I think the main argument isn’t necessarily that George looks older, but that Troy's portrayal of the same character just seems much more believable from an emotional standpoint. yes Troy he looks 17 but he also looks very hurt during the show... I think that makes a big difference between the two .

I’m not a member of the ATW but I think making Troy the principal in that role wouldn't hurt..

bk
#199BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 1:30am

After Eight said: ""On one side of me there was a fan dressed in one of the character’s costumes who screamed, hooted, hollered and sobbed through the whole thing (it seemed to be about making it all about herself than anything else)""

I certainly understandhow such behavior can affect another person'senjoyment of a show adversely.

My question, however, isthis:

Why does behavior of this sortby a fan at Be More Chill merit rebuke,while at the same timeequally obnoxious whoo-whooing at numerous shows and ostentatious weepingand wailing at shows likeSunday in the Parkwith George and Bridges of Madison Countyare deemednot only acceptable, but something to boast aboutwith pride on a theatre chat board?

"

Well, I can only speak for myself, but when I hear obnoxious woo-hooing and ostentatious weeping at wailing at shows such as the two you mention, I want to run for the hills because those people are trying to make the show about THEM, which happens frequently at Sondheim shows especially.  

As to this old saw about bringing a new generation to musical theatre, what a load of hogwash.  Somehow throughout history shows that aren't about tweens and teens have managed to bring in new generations and the shows that brought them in weren't pandering to the Internet and a demographic.  

Videos