pixeltracker

ALW on AI tomorrow night...- Page 8

ALW on AI tomorrow night...

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#175re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 9:28pm

My thoughts (for what its worth):

Syesha was the best closely followd by Carly, they just rocked. David A... was pretty good, he gave an interesting arrangement to song I've never liked.

Brooke was OK, she was too tense and never got into it.

I thought David Cook was bad. He didn't have the explosive range and his phrasing was just awful. Forget the way he pronounced "garish," I was astonished that he was able to sing "Turn your face away from the garish night of day" with no feeling what-so-ever. I know they are not actors, but they do know how to read and make good choices based on the lyrics. Jason is not even worth mentioning after tonight's performance.

divarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
#176re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 9:35pm

I just feel the need to point out ALW's physical resemblance to Bert Lahr... I was like, "Cowardly Lion in purple pants what?"

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#177re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 9:36pm

Syesha was so fantastic! David Cook was okay. I didn't care much for the rest of them. Brooke was painful to watch.
I didn't care much for anyone else. I thought they all could have picked much better songs. It was like they felt the need to turn everything into a pop ballad...dull! I know it's Lloyd Webber so it's not like the songs are so great to begin with but they had plenty of better things to choose.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#179re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 9:53pm

Video of Castro, Syesha, and Archuleta

Should have the rest up as they become available

http://www.broadway2seattle.com

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#180re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 9:53pm

I almost died when Jason Castro named his song. Someday, he's going to see a production of CATS and regret every YouTube post out there of that performance.

Carly was my fav (as always).
Broadway Mouth: Broadway Mouth on American Idol: Judging the Andrew Lloyd Webber Week

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#181re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 9:54pm

Castro is going home this week.

I imagine hell to be that song, over and over again.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#182re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 10:03pm

David Cook can not/should not now or ever play the Phantom on Broadway or any stage production. He is very talented, but he doesn't have the vocal chops for this role. His performance was ok, nothing great and that last note he shouted was awful.

I hope jason gets the boot!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#183re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/22/08 at 10:07pm

David Cook also did the thing ALW told the other David to watch out for, closing his eyes.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#184re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 12:40am

Even though ALW's music can be difficult to sing, the contestants could have done much better if they really put more thought into their songs. For example, I bet Jason Castro would've been MUCH better singing something like "Any Dream Will Do" - it has that peppy, happy vibe that I think suits his singing/personality well. As a Jason Castro fan, "Memory" was probably the worst choice for him, and I bet he just lost his chance to stay another week. I bet since he wasn't familiar with most of ALW's music, he picked a song that was semi-familiar to him and thought he could pull it off - but he didn't, sadly...and he might've cost himself a chance at the finals.

While none of the other contestants gave superb or perfect performances, in my opinion, I think for the most part, none of them sounded too bad; however, Jason was clearly the weakest this week.

American Idol always has this musical theatre category every year (or has had it before). And every time the contestants pick overused songs or songs that don't suit their voices. This is a difficult genre to sing.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#185re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 12:47am

I don't know how the song selection works, but if I had the chance to pick any song, I would at least try to do some research and listen to a variety of them before I decide to perform it live for millions of people. Look at Carly, she would have gone up there and made a fool of herself with "All I Ask of You."
Brooke was nervous, and her voice just sounded soooo strained, it was really awkward to watch, and contrary to what everybody says, I did NOT think she got the song at all. I HATED the pauses she made, like "You must....love...me." It drove me up the wall.
Jason Castro just had no clue what he was singing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#186re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 12:47am

I think Syesha choose wisely. I don't think the others were very famaliar with the songs, and just picked what they knew of. Although I thought "You Must Love Me" was a good pick for Brooke, she just didn't give a great performance. JCS was pretty good for Carly, it'll definitely win her some votes. David A. could have picked something better and more famaliar to the voters at home (I agreed with Simon, I didn't find his interpretation memorable at all). Jason was just awful and deserves to be sent home. End of Story. I don't care if he doesn't know any ALW tunes, he could have done some mild research to find a better song. He should have left memory to Carly, or someone who could sort of handle the range.

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#187re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 7:11am

I haven’t really been watching AI this season, and I only watched it tonight because it was ALW night. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I thought they did a lot better than I had expected they would. I know I’m in the minority here, but I really liked the pop arrangement of Think Of Me that David A did.

broadwayjim42
#188re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 7:37am

Is this Television Without Pity or Broadway World?:)

Jason was beyond awful, but his fan base will probably save him.

I though "You Must Love Me" suited Brooke's emotional fragility and it wasn't bad after the stumble. But Paula, of all people, saying "You can't do that" could be her death knell. Be prepared for the waterworks tonight.

David A reminded me of falling asleep at your desk at work...you know, your head starts to drop and then you're jolted back...and repeat. The performance was dull and then he'd throw in a power note, then dull, then power note...pretty lifeless.

Syesha was fine and showed personality. Nuff said.

Carly...best female singer of the season and probably did himself some favors.

David C....it was a very imitative performance, but I think he did fine. At least he showed some subtlety in the quieter moments.

I want Jason out of there and have for weeks, but it'll probably be Brooke.

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#189re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 7:52am

The sad thing is 2 other contestants wanted "Memory" and they had to pick straws or something to decide who gets to sing it and Jason "won". I bet he wished he hadn't now. I am curious who else wanted that song. They knew all season this week was coming up, Jason had plenty of time to research and listen to more of ALW songs. I wonder if ALW told him that wasn't a good fit, but he chose to do it anyway. ALW saved Carly by telling her to switch songs.

I wonder what the group number will be?

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#190re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 8:22am

I loved seeing Lordy Lordy ALW like that re: ALW on AI tomorrow night... He IS a real person afterall.

Now... the show and performances.

UGH!!! The song choices and arrangements?! re: ALW on AI tomorrow night... BLAH. I was cringing the whole time. Can't imagine how ALW himself felt.

Carly and Syesha made the best song choices. I agree, sesot: ALW saved carly by telling her she should sing JCSS.

David Cook should have done GETHSEMENE from JCSS. But I still love him re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...

David A should have sung ANY DREAM WILL DO... or maybe NOT WHILE I'M AROUND re: ALW on AI tomorrow night... Still can't believe he thought... Oh, never mind.

After Brooke got going, she emoted and sang the song perfectly, if not sounding eerily JUST like Madonna. So I guess that means she chose well, too, in the end. She should NEVER have stopped and started like she did. It could be her downfall.

I was hoping against hope that the kids would have "turned their face away" from anythng PHANTOM, but... who was I kidding, right? re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...

Jason was horrible. No two ways about it. He didn't even know it was from CATS?! I hope he is gone.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#191re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 10:05am

My favs form top to bottom:
Syesha-Such class, elegance, and she WORKED that dress. Anyone saying....Denna (?) in that proposed DREAMGIRLS revival?
Carly-She rocked that house and has a great vocal!
Brooke-Such emotion, you could feel the pain. I'm happy she started over, because it shows human error.
David A-Nice way to reinvent it. Just hoping for the high operatic part at the end!
David C-Good, just hated that humongous note at the end which can out of nowhere:
music of the nIIIIIIII-IIIIIIIIIGHT!
Jason-Why is he still here, breathing every other word and using his 5-note range as a disadvantage?

Overall...3.5/5
My vote home: Jason

Also, anyone else notice the boy-girl pattern of elimination?
David H, Amanda, Chikeze, Ramiele, Michael, and Kristy?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

BIGTENT
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#193re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 11:03am

re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#194re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 11:05am

It would have been fun if Syesha sang Macavity: the Mystery Cat. With the arrangement Sarah Brightman used on her CD.

And I still think Jason Castro should have sang "Magical Lasso."

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#195re: ALW on AI tomorrow night...
Posted: 4/23/08 at 11:15am

The only performance I enjoyed was Carly's. She seemed to mess up the lines tho a couple of times...or maybe that was her "arrangement"? Jason and David Cook's performance made me physically cringe, and I LOVE David Cook. I too was hoping he'd rock out to Gethsemane or one of Judas' songs...oh well.

Videos