pixeltracker

The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread- Page 9

The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

willep
#200The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:39pm

I do feel like the shows are making incredibly poor song choices so far. The bit with Matthew Morrison was funny though

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#201The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:39pm

Matt Morrison and Will Smith's reactions were better than the actual performance.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#202The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:40pm

I agree with Marianne!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#203The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

"I think Scarlet's win was more of a "welcome to the club" kind of thing. Hollywood star braves the Broadway stage and makes good and all that.'

So I don't understand how you would explain CZJ's loss? (if she loses).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#204The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Enjoyed La Cage. Hodge is a trip but his singing is a little subpar...maybe it's supposed to be for the character?? Don't know much about the show, but (unlike FELA) this performance would move to possibly see it.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#205The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:41pm

something about the whole number just felt off. The enthusiam and ebullience that causes Albin to remove his wig was so lacking. It was like take wig off in 3...2...1...

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

binau Profile Photo
binau
#206The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:42pm

I agree there was something a little awkward about it....but it's just taking it out of context I guess?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#207The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:43pm

"So I don't understand how you would explain CZJ's loss? (if she loses)."

Eddie Redmayne has been on-screen with the likes of Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie, but you would not hear the same "welcome to the club" being said about him. Sure he is not a "star" but this could certainly get him roles in Hollywood.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#208The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:43pm

something about the whole number just felt off. The enthusiam and ebullience that causes Albin to remove his wig was so lacking. It was like take wig off in 3...2...1...

Tonight I've renamed his character Ambien. ZZZZzzzzz.....

rmusic11322
#209The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:44pm

Just what we need... a Lion King commercial...

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#210The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Awww. I loved Eddie's speech.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#211The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Most performances are a little off when seen in this content and not part of the show, they have to get as many of the cast on as they can even when they aint in the number in the show etc. I thought Hodge was brilliant, yes his voice is not the best but his performance is brilliant, i thought the number was fun

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#212The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:45pm

"something about the whole number just felt off. The enthusiam and ebullience that causes Albin to remove his wig was so lacking."

There's something off about the entire show, Hodge's performance being front and center. Like PJ said, it actually was very moving at one time.

strummergirl
#213The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:45pm

There is really nothing left to the imagination in this year's Tonys.

Oooooooooh, Nine jab.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#214The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:46pm

Strange song choice from La Cage. Would of loved to see I am What I am.

MissAnneThrop
#215The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

ah yes, i remember it well. however, i might never get the image of Sean Hayes in his Billy Elliot homage out of my head.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#216The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

First of all, regarding LA CAGE, it was difficult to do this number in context out of context. When Grammer introduced the scene, the words didn't hit. And the ending of taking off the wig therefore made no sense.

Secondly, it didn't help at all that the camera angles worked against them. The camera shots didn't exactly capture it best (as best as a live experience can be captured on film).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#217The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:47pm

OHHH a NINE joke!!

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#218The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Is there ANY chance that RED will extend? I really would love to get to see it!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#219The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Well, I got excited last year for most shows, so these performaces are supposed to do something positive for them.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

MissAnneThrop
#220The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

i understand it is hard to work out of context but it didn't have to hit the deck with a thud.

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#221The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Maybe the performances seem a little off because their usual venue is not as big as RCMH- I mean that place is HUGE!

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#222The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:49pm

Why did he not look at anyone?

YAY LA CAGE!

MissAnneThrop
#223The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

that didn't seem to hurt all the shows performing in years past.

strummergirl
#224The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

Well that win for La Cage definitely does not look good juxtaposed moments after the number.

Videos