pixeltracker

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...- Page 9

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#200HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 11:46am

So because your memory of the original cast is still fresh then that means that the best person for the job (a performance many of us didn't get to see) shouldn't get the job? That's great logic.

How about Will Ferrell for Wilburt? The casting possibilities for this one are truly exciting. Now that so many people have brought her up, I don't wanna see anyone else but Jane Krakowski as Velma. She would fit right into Waters' world. I agree with Kad that this should be cast with comedic actors all around. How about Sarah Hyland for Amber?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#201HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 11:52am

One cool aspect of casting Ben Stiller as Edna is that his father Jerry was the only actor to appear in both Hairspray films (as Wilbur in the original and Mr. Pinky in the musical film). It's a nice tie-in. Plus I think he would be hilarious.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Showface
#202HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/17/16 at 9:13pm

I'm hoping that with this production NBC will take some tips from Grease Live and its inclusion of a live audience.

My casting choices:

Tracy- Unknown

Link- Nick Jonas or basically any current popular teenage male in his early 20's or late teens

Edna- Harvey Fierstein, James Corden, or Ben Stiller

Velma- Jane Krakowski or Kristin Chenoweth

Seaweed- Jordan Fisher

Female Authority Figure- Jackie Hoffman

Corny Collins- Matthew Morrison, Zac Efron, or NPH

Motormouth Maybelle- Patti LaBelle 

Updated On: 1/17/16 at 09:13 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#203HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/18/16 at 10:46pm

I wonder if Jerry Mitchell's choreography will be used or adapted and how much of the staging- costumes, sets ect. will be like the Broadway production.

Darreyl with an L!

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#204HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/19/16 at 12:15am

What about Alec Baldwin as Edna and Steve Martin as Wilbur?

silent
#205HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/20/16 at 11:34pm

I dread the thought of Latifah being cast in yet another musical. If they want a true gospel belt for Maybelle, they'd go with Kelly Price, Yolanda Adams or Tichina Arnold.

Updated On: 1/21/16 at 11:34 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#206HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/21/16 at 12:06am

I dread it too because Queen's performance of IKWIB Live has always been subpar, Get somebody who can really belt it out and take it to church!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1AzWdo3fZw

Darreyl with an L!

broadwayguy2
#207HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/21/16 at 1:13am

Eleven more months of this thread and I already have a heard from it... There is some FOOLISHNESS on this thread. Luckily no one here is in charge of the production!

DigificWriter
#208HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/21/16 at 6:12am

Unless they can recruit Travolta to dress up in drag again, I've got zero interest in watching this production.

DivosThoughts Profile Photo
DivosThoughts
#209HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/21/16 at 10:20pm

Dream World

Tracy - Unknown

Edna - James Corden (why has no one suggested him, he proved he can sing and he's hilarious)

Wilbur - Will Farrell?
Penny - Ariana Grande
Amber - Some Disney star
Link - Nick Jonas, Ryan McCartan
Velma - Jane Krakowski, Idina Menzel, or even Lady Gaga?
Corny - Neil Patrick Harris 
Motormouth - Jennifer Hudson
Prudy - Jackie Hoffmann

(Honestly, hate on me but some of these are stretches but all this is are money grabs to try to get views and a lot of these will bring in viewers due to their star powers. But, regardless couldn't be anymore excited for this live production!)

FindingNamo
#210HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/21/16 at 10:22pm

I will watch no thing James Corden is involved in.  LUCKILY he's too busy on his CBS s-itshow to go work at NBC.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Joviedamian
#211HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:37pm

I would love to see:

John Goodman-Edna

Catherine Zeta-Jones-Velma

Wilmingtom
#212HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/26/16 at 12:21am

Stop with Annaleigh Ashford.  A 30-year old woman playing a teenager?  I'm hoping for somehing a bit more authentic.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#213HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/26/16 at 5:53am

Tracy Turnblad - Melissa McCarthy

Edna Turnblad - Harvey Fierstein

Wilbur Turnblad - Michael Douglas

Amber Von Tussell - Diane Lane

Velma Von Tussell - Faye Dunaway

Link Larkin - Matthew McConaughey

Corny Collins - Ryan Seacrest

Motormouth Maybelle - Cicely Tyson

Seaweed - Denzel Washington

Penny Pingleton - Jane Krakowski

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#214HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/26/16 at 7:57am

CarlosAlberto said: "Tracy Turnblad - Melissa McCarthy

Edna Turnblad - Harvey Fierstein

Wilbur Turnblad - Michael Douglas

Amber Von Tussell - Diane Lane

Velma Von Tussell - Faye Dunaway

Link Larkin - Matthew McConaughey

Corny Collins - Ryan Seacrest

Motormouth Maybelle - Cicely Tyson

Seaweed - Denzel Washington

Penny Pingleton - Jane Krakowski

"

Yeah, maybe if this was being done 15 years ago. All of those except for Corny and Edna are totally unrealistic. Melissa McCarthy certainly doesn't look like a teenager.

JM226
#215HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/26/16 at 8:10am

pretty sure he was joking.

CarlosAlberto
#216HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/26/16 at 10:33am

Yes. I was only joking. wink

Starship
#217HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 4:19pm

After Grease Live! NBC better step it up for Hairspray. It really was cool seeing a full, 360 sets in Grease as opposed to The Wiz live's proscenium setup. Felt more like a live production. Also loved the end going into "We Go Together" with the trams. It just FELT fun. Hairspray has so much energy and I would love to see them really step it up this year and be innovative like Grease.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#218HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:04pm

Emily Osmet has been approached about Amber I've been told. 

broadwayboy223
#219HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:08pm

What an awful idea^

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#220HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:27pm

The proscenium set-up for "The Wiz" made sense since the production is transferring to Broadway, and I haven't seen "Grease" yet but I could see "Hairspray" using a style more to "Grease" considering the musical is partly set on a television show.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#221HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 5:36pm

I'm really hoping they'll start making casting decisions soon! Hopeful they choose a few more Broadway performers than The Wiz had! 

CarlosAlberto
#222HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 8:36pm

This is a safe ass move. Smells to me like the execs at NBC saw FOX was doing Grease and then thought: what's the musical that's closest to Grease and they picked Hairspray...and the for Craig Zadon and Neil Merin to be so damned lazy to do it after producing the film version a mere 7 years ago?!?!?!

Lazy lazy lazy .... Doing this after Grease Live smacks of predictability and it's not pushing the envelope...:

LAME! 

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#223HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/3/16 at 10:54pm

CarlosAlberto said: "and the for Craig Zadon and Neil Merin to be so damned lazy to do it after producing the film version a mere 7 years ago?!?!?!

Lazy lazy lazy .... Doing this after Grease Live smacks of predictability and it's not pushing the envelope...:

They are LOUSY producers, what do you expect?

Updated On: 2/3/16 at 10:54 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#224HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 2/4/16 at 1:29am

CarlosAlberto said: "This is a safe ass move. Smells to me like the execs at NBC saw FOX was doing Grease and then thought: what's the musical that's closest to Grease and they picked Hairspray...and the for Craig Zadon and Neil Merin to be so damned lazy to do it after producing the film version a mere 7 years ago?!?!?! Lazy lazy lazy .... Doing this after Grease Live smacks of predictability and it's not pushing the envelope...: LAME! "

When this production airs, the movie will have been released in theaters 9 and a half years earlier.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 2/4/16 at 01:29 AM

Videos