pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 9

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#200Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:21pm

"Also, not sure why the length of the run would affect any awards candidate.  We've seen people win before for limited engagements..."

Of course they can, but it's certainly harder, especially in a competitive category. 

I didn't see Sunday at City Center, though I am going in February- I brought up Gyllenhaal because George is a great role and his reviews were glowing. I would still expect Platt to win even if the run were longer, but thus far he's pretty much walking away with the thing. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#201Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:23pm

. Updated On: 12/14/16 at 01:23 PM

neonlightsxo
#202Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:24pm

M Butterfly is delayed until the fall, per yesterday's news.

pupscotch
#203Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:47pm

I'd really be surprised if anyone in any category turns in a better performance than Ben Platt. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#204Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 3:23pm

Well, damn Best Actress is going to be exciting as hell. Especially if Sutton joins in.

Seconding neonlights : As a person who saw Christy in Anastasia, I can say it is extremely possible that she'll get a nomination. I can't think of a better Anastasia/Anya than Christy. Extremely touching and beautiful. If it wasn't for Bette or maybe even Patti, I would say that she would definitely be the front-runner. The only ways that Christy isn't nominated is if Sutton joins the race or if Christine doesn't get nominated because there are so many good actresses.

MY GUESSES:

Annaleigh Ashford 

Christy Altomare/Sutton Foster

Christine Ebersole/Sutton Foster/Denee Benton 

Patti LuPone

Bette Middler

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 03:23 PM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#205Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 3:56pm

Tell me more about this Ashleigh Ashford 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#206Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 4:29pm

Dammit: Annaleigh Ashford! Thanks Rox

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#207Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 4:38pm

My guess is Bette, Patti, Christine, Annaleigh, and even though I know I'm a minority, I think Eva is going to get a nomination. Unless Sutton comes in this season

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#208Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 4:45pm

I'm worried Patti and Christine will split and neither will get nominated. I'd be happy with just one of them being nominated, especially Christine.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#209Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 4:55pm

Christine got better reviews, why do you all think they'll nominate only LuPone? If only one gets a nod it will be Christine

littlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
#210Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:29pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would prefer it if some of the first timers got nominated instead. Sure it's great to have all these legends back on stage, but I don't think they should be nominated solely based in their name recognition.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#211Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:39pm

@littlemouse921, I agree.

Though as of now, the only potential first time nominees in the conversation are Christy Altomare, Denee Benton, Bette Midler (even though she received a special Tony Award in 1974), and Eva Noblezada.

The previous nominees are Laura Osnes and Phillipa Soo. The previous winners are Annaleigh Ashford, Christine Ebersole, and Patti LuPone.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#212Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:43pm

Keep in mind the Tony nominating committee also has the option of awarding special performance Tonys. For example, they could award someone like Midler a special Tony for her performance in HELLO DOLLY and then nominate 5 other women for the competitive Best Actress in a musical award.  This used to happen more frequently in decades past, but they did something similar with the girls playing Matilda.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#213Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:45pm

I think people keep writing off Noblezada because she's not a usual name on here... but Kim is, uh, a pretty big role. Moreover, I believe she got raves in London.

I believe current Lead Actress possibilities now include: Christy Altomare, Annaleigh Ashford, Denée Benton, Christine Ebersole, Patti LuPone, Bette Midler, Eva Noblezada, Laura Osnes, Phillipa Soo.

Man, oh man! Sutton Foster better wait a season to come with Charity or my head's going to explode!

aaaaaa15
#214Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:47pm

Although Eva didn't get nominated for an Olivier in a much less competitive category. How much that means I'm not sure.

Sunny11
#215Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:50pm

Awards tend to be pretty good at spreading the wealth between industry newcomers, legends and inbetweeners regarding nominations I think. There will probably be a good mix next year.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#216Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:59pm

There's also the possibility that if there ends up being a tie in the nominating process, we could see six or seven nominees for Lead Actress in a Musical.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#217Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 8:43pm

I sense that there are a lot of shows being discussed as in the running that folks have not seen (in addition, of course, to the ones nobody has seen). This is not horse racing. Six shows max from this group will be running post-Tonys, and at least 2 of them will be gone by Labor Day. Place your bets. 

littlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
#218Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:00pm

I saw Eva in London and definitely believe that it's likely for her to me nominated. I also think Christy has a shot too. I think my top 5 would be:

Christy Altomare

Annaleigh Ashford

Christine Ebersole

Bette Midler

Eva Noblezada

Dark Horse: Denee Benton

I think Patti might be the one to get the short end of the stick this year. I'm holding out on Laura Osnes and Phillipa Soo mainly because I'm haven't seen or heard enough of them yet. 

neonlightsxo
#219Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/14/16 at 8:53am

HogansHero said: "I sense that there are a lot of shows being discussed as in the running that folks have not seen (in addition, of course, to the ones nobody has seen). This is not horse racing. Six shows max from this group will be running post-Tonys, and at least 2 of them will be gone by Labor Day. Place your bets. "

I generally just assume that nobody who posts here has actually seen anything.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#220Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/14/16 at 12:10pm

"Andy Karl got beyond glowing reviews for GROUNDHOG DAY.  And he's been nominated twice before.  I'm not sure why everyone is ruling him out so quickly."

Because I saw Groundhog Day and there's no comparison to what Ben is doing?

Okay. And that's your personal opinion.  There is no denying the reviews he got in London.  Weirder things have happened at the Tonys. The most "deserving" person or show doesn't always win...

Updated On: 12/14/16 at 12:10 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#221Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/14/16 at 12:22pm

A little off topic -- but does anyone know how long Ben Platt is contracted for DEH?  My only disparaging thought watching his amazing, amazing performance was 'how is he going to sustain that for 8 shows a week for an indefinite period of time." I think the Tony is his unless he for some reason he is only doing a short run in the show.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

neonlightsxo
#222Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/14/16 at 1:12pm

What is successful in London is not always successful in New York, as has been discussed ad nauseum on this board.

brodynky
#223Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/14/16 at 4:28pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: ""Andy Karl got beyond glowing reviews for GROUNDHOG DAY.  And he's been nominated twice 

Okay. And that's your personal opinion.  There is no denying the reviews he got in London.  Weirder things have happened at the Tonys. The most "deserving" person or show doesn't always win...

True...as much as Ben Platt's performance blows me away and should definitely win, I can't help but get a David Hyde Pierce over Raul Esparza kinda vibe gnawing in my gut. We shall see...

"

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#224Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 12/14/16 at 4:34pm

Not like it matters, but here are my predictions for Best Musical, based on hype from previous productions (and having seen the two nominees I chose that are now open):

Anastasia 
Come From Away 
Dear Evan Hansen 
Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 
War Paint 

SPOILER: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Groundhog Day

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Videos