pixeltracker

Spielberg’s West Side Story- Page 9

Spielberg’s West Side Story

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#200Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/27/18 at 11:57pm

adamgreer said: "degrassifan said: "I'M HERE FOR THIS CASTING!!!!!! *Hands up emoji*

https://deadline.com/2018/11/rita-moreno-returns-to-west-side-story-egot-winner-to-play-the-role-of-valentina-in-steven-spielbergs-remake-1202509734/
"

What about a role for Chita?
"

I agree. We are lucky to have Chita and Rita both still with us. Chita deserves a cameo. 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#201Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 12:11am

My Facebook feed is already exploding with people who consider it blasphemy that the character of Doc is purportedly being replaced with Rita's character, but I actually think it's a really interesting choice. As blasphemous as this may sound to purists, I kinda think it lends a little depth to how betrayed Riff and the Jets feel if not only does Tony throw away the gang to get a proper job, but it's for a Puerto Rican woman. That's just rubbing salt into the wound, and it lends further emphasis to how far he's moved on from the petty racial conflict that feeds the gang to a certain extent.

As for the drug store being where the Jets hang out, they can absolutely still do that. Not that the movie's canon matters here, but they hung out a good deal in front of the store as well as in it. Maybe they're just lurking menacingly, make sure the "pierced ear garlic mouth" inside knows this turf is theirs. And I would think the Sharks would be more comfortable meeting somewhere that isn't enemy territory, nor would the Jets be afraid of entering the belly of the beast if they didn't want to look chicken.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 11/28/18 at 12:11 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#202Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 12:13am

So now Doc is “Valentina?” I am so confused. Are they just completely rewriting the book?

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#203Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 12:16am

As I point out above, that only seems like a massive change on the surface. (And, personally, I think it has potential to be a really interesting one.) I don't see how trading in a well-intentioned but frightened elderly man for a well-intentioned but frightened elderly woman would change that much. Maybe you lose Doc being Tony's mentor somewhat, but I don't see why Valentina couldn't fill the same function.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 11/28/18 at 12:16 AM

BwayLB
#204Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 12:58am

Or she can be like a mentor to Maria

degrassifan
#205Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 1:20am

adamgreer said: "degrassifan said: "I'M HERE FOR THIS CASTING!!!!!! *Hands up emoji*

https://deadline.com/2018/11/rita-moreno-returns-to-west-side-story-egot-winner-to-play-the-role-of-valentina-in-steven-spielbergs-remake-1202509734/
"

What about a role for Chita?
"

Maybe Chita can play Madam Lucia (the bridal shop owner)? Lol

The Distinctive Baritone
#206Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 8:45am

Having Doc be Latina is a bold choice. It actually changes a lot.

They really should just write a completely new book/screenplay anyway. Laurents is dead and his dialogue for WSS is now so dated and cheesy it makes Clifford Odet sound like Aaron Sorkin in comparison.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#207Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 9:30am

Maybe Chita will replace Glad-Hand? The most thankless role in the show, his presence only really contributes a few creaky old gay jokes.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#208Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 9:42am

Which are so creaky and old that one has to be told they're gay jokes to understand that they are, no less.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#209Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 11:18am

Chita had a cameo in the Chicago movie, so I wouldn't be surprised if she did a cameo for this one as well.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#210Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 6:39pm

The role of Doc is to support/guide the Jets and Tony. How is a mature Latina going to fill that purpose in the story? Will Officer Krupke now be an Asian priest?

Clearly, there will be significant rewrites to make this work and it will alter the narrative and perspectives of the piece. Arthur is rolling in his grave. I'm assuming he's with Papa Legba, so he's probably trying to hex Steven and Tony from beyond right now!

Why aren't they just doing a new take on the Romeo & Juliet tale? If they want to make significant changes, isn't that the easier way to go? And, you could write it however you want to! I don't understand the point of a "remake" when they revise it clearly beyond the original authors' intent.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#211Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 6:43pm

greensgreens said: "Arthur is rolling in his grave. "

It means this project is moving in the right direction is Arthur is rolling in his grave.

He has no more horcruxes left, who cares what he would have thought 

Broadway World's Fireman.

greensgreens
#212Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 7:02pm

Sondheimite said: "greensgreens said: "Arthur is rolling in his grave. "

It means this project is moving in the right direction is Arthur is rolling in his grave.

"

You're absolutely right. Why should we respect the overly acclaimed original stage or film versions of WSS! This is the new era of anything goes - where we can rewrite, edit and manipulate whatever to fit our vision; rather than just creating something new that fits our vision to a T.

Since we're disregarding the original authors' intent and words, I'm going to rewrite Angels in America to be less gay and I'll recut Indiana Jones to have more female representation. Then, I'm going to reframe 9 To 5 as if it were Marat/Sade. I am so excited to be so above and beyond the original authors wishes!

I'll invite y'all to the respective opening night performances! Assuming we don't get closed down first. Oh wait, who cares what anyone thinks!

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#213Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 7:09pm

greensgreens said: "Sondheimite said: "greensgreens said: "Arthur is rolling in his grave. "

"

You're absolutely right. Why should we respect the overly acclaimed original stage or film versions of WSS! This is the new era of anything goes -where we can rewrite, edit and manipulate whateverto fit our vision; rather than just creating something new that fits our vision to a T.

Since we're disregarding the original authors' intent and words, I'm going to rewrite Angels in America to be less gay and I'll recut Indiana Jones to have more female representation. Then, I'm going to reframe 9 To 5 as if it were Marat/Sade. I am so excited to be so above and beyond the original authors wishes!

I'll invite y'all to the respective opening night performances! Assuming we don't get closed down first. Oh wait, who cares what anyone thinks!
"

Take a deep inhale/exhale.

If you want to enjoy the movie or a classic stage interpretation of West Side Story, those things aren't going away.  

You have no idea what the vision for this film is.  Stop trying to act high and mighty taking moral high ground on an issue that you don't know enough about yet to attack.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

greensgreens
#214Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 9:57pm

Aww, but Sodomite, it’s so fun!

The Distinctive Baritone
#215Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/28/18 at 10:52pm

I love how someone with a Sunset Blvd. poster as their avatar is calling someone a sodomite and joking about making Angels in America “less gay.”

Janaenae
#216Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/29/18 at 1:06am

If I'm correct, they're still sharing songs, racial tensions, and themes with the original stage show; it appears similar enough and therefore I believe the term 'remake' in regards to West Side Story is more than appropriate. I doubt the minor change of Doc's character will render the story unrecognizable. It could add layers as some have pointed above; Tony working for a Puerto Rican woman; maybe her character could even provide some insight on the conflict that Doc's character missed. If it's a motivated change- there should be no issue.

And there's hardly a purpose to remaking an old story just to copy it word for word. You say it differs from the original authorial intent with distaste. But that's... the point? The entire premise of a remake is to reinterpret an old material, bring it new life, and make it relevant for a new era.  If you don't want to see something new; just watch the original. 

And moreover, stories change with time to stay relevant. You act like this is a new modern concept. But the truth is; classic literature and works have been constantly retold in different ways throughout history. It's hard to criticize this aspect of our modern culture when in reality, it's just part of the nature of humanity  Particularly look at examples of The Hunchback of Notre Dame or something as old the Greek myths. The original ending of Pygmalion changed upon being adapted to a musical for the romantic, Hollywood crowd of the 1950s and recently the ending of that adaptation was changed back closer to it's original intent in the 2010s. You can have your personal favorites, as I do mine, but the fun is in comparing and recognizing the differences. 

What would exactly be the issue with a female Indiana Jones? A charismatic, sexy, fun, whip-wielding woman going on archaeological  adventures? Sounds like a grand old time. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#217Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/29/18 at 8:47am

I'm certainly not an expert on West Side Story, but I've seen it five or six times total (including film viewings) and I have to say the character of Doc barely registers in my memory. I can picture him fruitlessly lamenting the violence going on around him, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you anything more about what he did in the show, other than owning a place where some action occurs.

BwayLB
#218Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/29/18 at 9:04am

Janaenae said: "If I'm correct, they're still sharing songs, racial tensions, and themes with the original stage show; it appears similar enoughand therefore I believe the term 'remake' in regards to West Side Story is more than appropriate.I doubt the minor change of Doc's character will render the story unrecognizable. It could add layers as some have pointed above; Tony working for a Puerto Rican woman; maybe her character could even provide some insight on the conflict that Doc's character missed. If it's a motivated change- there should be no issue.

And there's hardly a purpose to remaking an old story just to copy it word for word. You say it differs from the original authorial intent with distaste. Butthat's... the point?The entire premise of a remake is to reinterpret an old material, bring it new life, and make it relevant for a new era. If you don't want to see something new;just watch the original.

And moreover, stories change with time to stay relevant. You act like this is a new modern concept. But the truth is; classic literature and works have been constantly retold in different ways throughout history.It's hard to criticize this aspect of our modern culture when in reality, it'sjust part of the nature of humanityParticularly look at examples of The Hunchback of Notre Dame or something as old the Greek myths. The original ending of Pygmalion changed upon being adapted to a musical for the romantic, Hollywood crowd of the 1950s and recently the ending of that adaptation was changed back closer to it's original intent in the 2010s. You can have your personal favorites, as I do mine, but the fun is in comparing and recognizing the differences.

What would exactly be the issue with afemale Indiana Jones? A charismatic, sexy, fun, whip-wielding woman going on archaeologicaladventures? Sounds like a grand old time.
"

I did hear about that with My Fair Lady. I never seen the stage version or the stage version of WSS. But both movies are equally beautiful. The new Lincoln Center production looks so good

greensgreens
#219Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 11/29/18 at 10:45am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I love how someone with a Sunset Blvd. poster as their avatar is calling someone a sodomite and joking about making Angels in America “less gay.”"

I honestly did forget Sondheimite's real name when I was replying. Otherwise, my comments were dripping with sarcasm and irony (and sometimes I just like to let out some steam by ranting on a topic that really doesn't matter at all, like this one). Never quite comes across on the internet right, but that's the joy of anonymous online communication. Surprisingly, I enjoyed having several of you notice and acknowledge my comment! I had never thought about being a troll, but I may have to reconsider it. Y'all made it fun!

My comments about Angels and Indiana Jones (I should've picked Schindler's List) was merely that I don't know how Kushner or Spielberg would appreciate people making many changes to their masterpieces with a "remake" (even "good" changes) and I always question any artist who redevelops a classic, "what is the motivation here to make these changes?"

As someone who battles with this internally as an artist in my work, I often get torn between defending the original authors and their works vs. the desires of artists to re-envision the classics - and this is a deep, internal struggle that gets more complicated by the day.

However, maybe this is more related to the medium. Perhaps with film, we're more accustomed to remakes, which can remain very true or veer very far from the source material. With shows, we're more accustomed to revivals, which generally are, at least word-for-word, identical to their source material. I'll try to shift to thinking of this as a remake of the movie, rather than the musical, and I might have an easier time accepting some of these interesting choices. I'll save my aneurysm for the Van Hove production.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#220Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 12/27/18 at 9:55pm

On BBC radio today, Sondheim said "The script by Tony Kushner is absolutely brilliant, and it's quite different, not in plot or character, but in terms of treatment, of course influenced by Spielberg and his imagination."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#222Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 1/14/19 at 4:24pm

Im not sure how I feel about a 17 year old playing opposite Ansel. And holy, I thought all the original broadway Billys were like dead!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#223Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 1/14/19 at 4:44pm

I was rooting for her to get it and I'm glad she did. She impressed me on her YouTube channel. Ansel is a bit older than her, but he reads young and she'll be like 18 when they start filming probably.

jimmycurry01
#224Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 1/14/19 at 4:58pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Im not sure how I feel about a 17 year old playing opposite Ansel. And holy, I thought all the original broadway Billys were like dead! "

I'm OK with it. Ansel is only 24. Its not like this has become a May/December romance, or something. There have definitely been many pairings that have felt far more uncomfortable than this one.

Videos