News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 9

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

JSquared2
#200COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/12/22 at 4:52pm

teddy1996 said: "does anyone know if cynthia erivo auditioned for this movie?"

Yes she did -- but it was a "meeting", not an "audition".

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#201COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/12/22 at 5:06pm

briankershawjr said: "Hears a thought… please hear me out

I loved the new version of West Side Story however did we really need a remake??,

so here’s my question to you with the 1st color purple a major hit for all… do we need a new version of it???

btw I love the music … just a question I was asked
"

This isn’t a remake in the same way the 2007 film of HAIRSPRAY wasn’t a remake.  Spielberg’s 1985 film of THE COLOR PURPLE isn’t a musical.  This new film adaptation is.  Had this new version not been a musical, THEN it would be considered a remake like many consider the new WEST SIDE STORY is. 

JasonC3
#202COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/12/22 at 5:33pm

I loved the new version of West Side Story however did we really need a remake??,

so here’s my question to you with the 1st color purple a major hit for all… do we need a new version of it???

"

How does one judge "need?"  Some will say yes. Others will say no. 

If people can pull together the money and the players, it gets made.  People can then debate whether or not it should have happened until they are tired of doing so.

The conversation about reviving shows is similar in spirit.

Updated On: 2/12/22 at 05:33 PM

teddy1996
#203COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/14/22 at 8:58pm

i love cynthia erivo as celie but in my opinion, fantasia takes this role to another level. her portrayal has a lot more rawness and credibility. she was the perfect choice for celie. her vocals are out of this world and i can’t wait to see her on screen. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#204COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/15/22 at 9:46am

"

I mean, do we really need all these move and TV reboots and remakes? No. But as long as they can justify their own existence, I welcome new interpretations.

Also, technically, we don't have a musical Color Purple film version, the movie is based on the musical, so it's not really a "remake" per se. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#205COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/15/22 at 10:27am

Also, although the original film is beloved by many, myself included, it has received criticism for, with the exception of Quincy Jones, its all-White creative team, which the new version will rectify.

Updated On: 2/15/22 at 10:27 AM

teddy1996
#206COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/15/22 at 12:27pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Also, although the original film is beloved by many, myself included, it has received criticism for, with the exception of Quincy Jones, it's all-White creative team, which the new version will rectify."

honestly it is disappointing that there is a mostly white creative team for a black story like this. imagine all of the nuances that will be missed. 

JSquared2
#207COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/15/22 at 1:22pm

teddy1996 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Also, although the original film is beloved by many, myself included, it has received criticism for, with the exception of Quincy Jones, it's all-White creative team, which the new version will rectify."

honestly it is disappointing that there is a mostly white creative team for a black story like this. imagine all of the nuances that will be missed.
"

What on earth are you talking about? The film's director, the screenwriter, and 2 of the 3 members of the composer/lyricist team are BIPOC.  What "mostly white creative team"  do you believe will be there "missing all of the nuances"?

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#208COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/15/22 at 2:54pm

Also the original film sadly cuts out the queerness. It’ll be nice to have a movie that includes that love story.

teddy1996
#209COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/15/22 at 3:22pm

NOWaWarning said: "Also the original film sadly cuts out the queerness. It’ll be nice to have a movie that includes that love story."

i think this new movie will definitely add the queerness back in. 

silent
#210COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/16/22 at 10:33pm

A missed opportunity by not casting Andra Day or Heather Headley as Shug. But hopefully Taraji will deliver. Not happy about H.E.R. being apart of this either. 

Fantasia is going to slay! 

teddy1996
#211COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/17/22 at 2:14am

silent said: "A missed opportunity by not casting Andra Day or Heather Headley as Shug. But hopefully Taraji will deliver. Not happy about H.E.R. being apart of this either.

Fantasia is going to slay!
"

andra day would make a fantastic shug but her and fantasia are the same age and shug is supposed to be way older. taraji is an amazing actress and she definitely has the chops for the role of shug. i really wanted heather headley to reprise her role cause she really bodied this role when she played her in the revival. but i think they wanted to cast a bigger name for the role of shug. 

teddy1996
#212COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/17/22 at 11:52pm

the cast are currently in atlanta to prepare for filming next month. they have been in rehearsals. and i also think that there is a great chance that anika noni rose will be playing adult nettie

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#213COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 2/18/22 at 1:16am

Is there a young Celie? That is what always ruined the original for me—two Celine’s, one Nettie. 

teddy1996
#214COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/1/22 at 8:56pm

here is a tik tok of taraji p henson doing vocal lessons for the movie. she sounds absolutely amazing: https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAJR9Yw/

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#215COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/1/22 at 10:16pm

teddy1996 said: "here is a tik tok of taraji p henson doing vocal lessons for the movie. she sounds absolutely amazing:https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAJR9Yw/"

Wait.  Hold up.  She’s scowling.  She’s not even singing.  How is this sounding amazing?!  You most likely judge someone as a sensational singer if they riff every other word too, huh?  

teddy1996
#216COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/2/22 at 1:26am

i recently learned that tichina arnold auditioned to play shug during the revival. she posted her audition video back in 2016. she is such an incredible vocalist. with a voice like that, how can they turn her down? i don’t understand.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDWCHCtzUeN/?utm_medium=copy_link

Updated On: 3/2/22 at 01:26 AM

QueenTwinnied
#217COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/2/22 at 2:18am

BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "here is a tik tok of taraji p henson doing vocal lessons for the movie. she sounds absolutely amazing:https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAJR9Yw/"

Wait. Hold up. She’s scowling. She’s not even singing. How is this sounding amazing?! You most likely judge someone as a sensational singer if they riff every other word too, huh?
"

Here’s a thought. Maybe, just maybe, you’re making some wild assumptions and judgments after hearing Taraji sing for two and a half seconds. Smh 

silent
#218COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/2/22 at 6:38pm

Tichina was amazing as Evilene in The Wiz with Ashanti years ago. Crazy that she hasn’t been cast on Broadway. 

So Taraji is taking vocal lessons. Stevie Mackey did wonders for Jennifer Lopez. Jenny now struts around on stage as if she’s a world class vocalist. Lol. 

This could have all been avoided with Day or Headley. But nothing can be done about that now. 

teddy1996
#219COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/2/22 at 9:59pm

silent said: "Tichina was amazing as Evilene in The Wiz with Ashanti years ago. Crazy that she hasn’t been cast on Broadway.

So Taraji is taking vocal lessons. Stevie Mackey did wonders for Jennifer Lopez. Jenny now struts around on stage as if she’s a world class vocalist. Lol.

This could have all been avoided with Day or Headley. But nothing can be done about that now.
"

taraji studied musical theater in college

teddy1996
#220COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/18/22 at 2:41pm

they announced more cast members today: 

Louis Gossett Jr - Ol’ Mister

David Alan Grier - Reverend Avery 

Tamela Mann - First Lady

Phylicia Mpasi - Young Celie

Deon Cole - Alfonso

Stephen Hill - Buster

Updated On: 3/18/22 at 02:41 PM

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#221COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/18/22 at 4:01pm

This cast gets better and better. It would be fun if Renée Elise Goldsberry cameoed as grown up Nettie in the end since she was in the OBC, but it would definitely be a waste of her talent.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#222COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/19/22 at 1:59pm

Oh God, Tamala Man is gonna tear up Mysterious Ways...

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#223COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/19/22 at 7:51pm

Grier is perfect casting!

teddy1996
#224COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 3/21/22 at 8:20pm

a lot of people are voicing their frustrations about this movie because they feel like they are remaking the original movie when they fail to understand that this is a film adaptation of the broadway musical lol

Videos