pixeltracker

Broadway's COME FROM AWAY on Apple TV - News & Discussion Thread- Page 9

Broadway's COME FROM AWAY on Apple TV - News & Discussion Thread

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#200COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/26/21 at 2:06pm

Does it feel like there's something missing from the new trailer?  Hard to put my finger on, but it seems...bland?  Like it's missing the spark that makes the show what it is.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#201COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/26/21 at 2:52pm

Tag said: "Does it feel like there's something missing from the new trailer? Hard to put my finger on, but it seems...bland? Like it's missing the spark that makes the show what it is."

The book of Come From Away (as I remember it from the few times I’ve seen it) is more of a compilation of one-liners told in rapid succession to move the story along. Isolating those lines like they did in the trailer definitely slows the pace of the show, and I don’t think it’s an accurate representation of what the recording will be. It is very odd they chose to highlight some random pieces of dialogue instead of the stunning music. 

Also, the cinematography looks gorgeous. So excited for those overhead shots!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#202COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/26/21 at 3:08pm

I thought there were only a small handful of places where the music really takes over throughout Come From Away, which is mainly driven by its narration and fast pace. 

Isolating the lines - as VotePeron just alluded to - just makes the trailer feel more "cinematic," per se. I can't wait to see this one again. 

Oh look, a bibu!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#203COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/26/21 at 3:15pm

I dont have apple TV, but am trying to figure out how to access.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 8/26/21 at 03:15 PM

Fosse76
#204COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/27/21 at 2:24pm

Tag said: "Does it feel like there's something missing from the new trailer? Hard to put my finger on, but it seems...bland? Like it's missing the spark that makes the show what it is."

I think it's the context of the material they're showing. It works in the show, but as stand alone, out-of-context snippets, it comes off pretty bland (they chose a few  moments that are part of more high energy scenes, and it didn't work). They should have cut it the way Hamilton was presented: other than a quick moment at the start where the cast is singing, the music overlays a montage of quick shots from various scenes. No out-of-context dialogue that has no reference point. 

To me, it didn't feel much different than a regular promo for the stage show. And while I appreciate that there is only so much that can be done when filming a show on stage, it felt like they copied Hamilton (though I didn't think Hamilton differed too much from other filmed sites)

Updated On: 8/27/21 at 02:24 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#205COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/27/21 at 2:41pm

Looks amazing, can't wait to watch! 

RunnyBabbit
#206COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/27/21 at 2:41pm

A common theme with nearly all trailers for movie musicals seems to be to have as little singing as possible.  I’ve always interpreted it as “if we can trick people into not realizing there’s singing and dancing, maybe more people will see it!” Or, “sure there’s some singing, but it’s mostly talking, see?!”

It never really works and just makes for bad trailers.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#207COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/27/21 at 2:46pm

RunnyBabbit said: "Tag said: "Does it feel like there's something missing from the new trailer? Hard to put my finger on, but it seems...bland? Like it's missing the spark that makes the show what it is."

A common theme with nearly all trailers for movie musicals seems to be to have as little singing as possible. I’ve always interpreted it as “if we can trickpeople into not realizingthere’s singing and dancing, maybe more people will see it!” Or,“sure there’s some singing, but it’s mostly talking, see?!”

It never really works and just makes for bad trailers.
"

Very this. In The Heights even released two official final trailers in May, one without showing any characters singing and one filled with it. I’m so fascinated by what these conversations with studio execs must be like. 

Unfortunately, so few people have Apple TV+, they might as well own it, lean into it as a musical, and try and get people to join. Going to be very sad that so few people will actually watch this. 

Sutton Ross
#208COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/27/21 at 3:17pm

Yes, 40 million American subscribers. So few people! Lolz.

Updated On: 8/27/21 at 03:17 PM

Fosse76
#209COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 4:27am

Sutton Ross said: "Yes, 40 million American subscribers. So few people! Lolz."

62% of whom are on free subscriptions, and most of whom don't plan on renewing when their free subscriptions expire. And considering the entirety of Apple Services' subscriber base is 700 million, it's a pretty small number. It's also significantly less than Prime's 175 million subscribers, or Netflix's 209 million, or the 116 million Disney+ subscribers. It's even less than HBOMAX's subscription base of 70 million. 

It's a discussion point here, because theater fans want to see these show recordings succeed. With a limited membership base, who's really going to see it? Certainly you don't expect every subscriber to AppleTV will watch it? And not to belabor the numbers, but with such a large amount of automatic free subscriptions, it's not even clear that all of AppleTV's 40 million subscribers have even setup their accounts (though the same can be said about Prime as well). 

bear88
#210COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 4:45am

As I didn’t love the show on tour and didn’t see it on Broadway, I am pleased to have a subscription to give it another chance. I might not like it any better, but at least I won’t have to break up fisticuffs during the musical’s most famous song.

dramamama611
#211COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 7:00am

It has a famous song? And there are often fisticuffs during it? Interesting.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Alexander Lamar
#212COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 9:10am

dramamama611 said: "I dont have apple TV, but am trying to figure out how to access."

You can watch from your computer with a free trial - tv.Apple.com

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#213COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 9:19am

Some of y’all treat signing up for a streaming service for a month is like climbing Mount Everest.

Alexander Lamar
#214COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 9:29am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Some of y’all treat signing up for a streaming service for a month is like climbing Mount Everest. "

It really is hilarious. 

I guess the producers should have just given it to BroadwayHD for free. 

Sutton Ross
#215COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 12:44pm

Haha, right? AppleTv is either free or 5 bucks. Most people I know have it because they love Ted Lasso, Dickinson, Servant or The Morning Show. It's becoming more and more popular each day, Ted Lasso got 20 Emmy noms because of how good it is. Also, Apple has endless resources which is why it can afford to pay Jen and Reese $2 million per episode for their show. Endless resources means you get what you want.

They paid the most for this and got it. It won't be available anywhere else, so if you need to obtain 5 bux for a show that costs a lot more to see in person, get on it! It's really not a big deal.

Spittin Fax!

Fosse76
#216COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 2:06pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Some of y’all treat signing up for a streaming service for a month is like climbing Mount Everest. "

I know we've been referring to Apple's streaming service as AppleTV for convenience, but we are inaccurate and may demonstrate why it was the poor choice for Come from Away's release. AppleTV has been around since 2007, and is actually a physical box with remote. It was developed to turn a TV into a smart tv, but was (and is still) rather expensive.

The streaming service, AppleTV+, has only been around since 2019. And while it is finally starting to appear on non-Apple media devices, I think that a lot of people still  assume that you need the AppleTV device to watch AppleTV+ programming. This is no doubt a result of Apple's duplicitous marketing, which as early as this year didn't go to great lengths to differentiate between the two (they were presented on the official site on the same page, leading a casual observe to believe you needed the device to view the content). They are now much better at separating the two, though they still try to connect the two in a prospective subscriber's mind. 

So the issue is visibility. AppleTV+ isn't doing anywhere near the amount of marketing that Disney+ did for Hamilton. Since Come from Away hasn't had the same mainstream crossover appeal, it's not going to drive new paid subscriptions, which is important to continue this type of content investment (even people associated with the show are telling people just to get the free trial).

Yes, $5/month isn't much, but if it's the only content on the service that you are interested in, paying $60/year isn't a bargain, especially when I can watch a Blu-Ray for years for only $20-30 total. 

Sutton Ross
#217COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 2:42pm

I think that a lot of people still assume that you need the AppleTV device to watch AppleTV+ programming

That's ridiculous and false. Anyone with Roku or Firestick knows that not to be true. No one has a difficult time "finding" AppleTV+ at all and paying 5 dollars for a Broadway show, again, is a good deal. It's a popular app, everyone knows about it and nope, it's not hard to find for anyone with a pulse. 

Updated On: 8/29/21 at 02:42 PM

BroadwayNYC2
#218COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/28/21 at 4:14pm

“ Yes, $5/month isn't much, but if it's the only content on the service that you are interested in, paying $60/year isn't a bargain, especially when I can watch a Blu-Ray for years for only $20-30 total.”

You can literally cancel once you watch it and only pay the $5. It really ain’t difficult.

Sutton Ross
bear88
#220COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/29/21 at 2:23am

dramamama611 said: "It has a famous song? And there are often fisticuffs during it? Interesting."

No, not onstage. The would-be fisticuffs happened in the audience during Me and the Sky after a man behind me objected loudly to a woman taping the performance. Her significant other ran up and got in the man’s face. 

Fosse76
#221COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/29/21 at 4:50am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "“ Yes, $5/month isn't much, but if it's the only content on the service that you are interested in, paying $60/year isn't a bargain, especially when I can watch a Blu-Ray for years for only $20-30 total.”

You can literally cancel once you watch it and only pay the $5. It really ain’t difficult.
"

Are you really that stupid? What if it two months I want to watch it again? I have to pay again (or rather, now I have to pay).  Then what if I want to watch it again 5 months after that? I have to pay again. Rinse, then repeat. The alternative is to maintain the subscription, in which case I still spend more money than I would on a DVD or blu-ray, the difference being it's significantly more in a shorter amount of time. 

Updated On: 8/29/21 at 04:50 AM

dramamama611
#222COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/29/21 at 6:01am

Alexander Lamar said: "dramamama611 said: "I dont have apple TV, but am trying to figure out how to access."

You can watch from your computer with a free trial - tv.Apple.com
"

Thank you! 

BroadwayNYC2
#223COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/29/21 at 8:42am

“ Are you really that stupid? What if it two months I want to watch it again?”

I literally don’t know what you want me to tell you, but your brain seems incapable of putting two and two together. I’m sorry streaming services exist. They ain’t going anywhere. I’m sorry you may have to spend more money to watch something you want to see. You should have purchased the streaming rights if you were going to be this demanding on how you consume media.

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#224COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 8/30/21 at 11:54am

It's not the money, it's the number of hoops Apple makes me jump through to sign up, if I don't already have an Apple ID and an iTunes account. I'd happily pay more just to not get involved with Apple.

Videos