Black Glinda?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#200re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 2:10pm

Well, cuz Taye is Idina's husband, and it worked well. Besides, wasn't Norbert's understudy black?

Replacement casting is different than what understudies do. Norbert was out for a month. Taye stepped in for a month. When Fitzgerald took a vacation, Randy Harrison (not an understudy) replaced him. Joel Grey, on the other hand was a different story. He was sick, and everyone was unaware as to when he was going to get better - which is why McCourt did it, till they replaced him with Hearn.
Espinoza and Bean were Stand-by's - which is why they replaced Idina when she went on vacation.

Have I cleared it all up for ya?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#201re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 2:12pm

Thank you for the explanation. Not sure that it cleared anything up for me! Was just wondering why the stand-by or understudy did not go on. They pretty much knew Butz would be back. But oh well. I still say we can have a black Galinda/Glinda. Lar!

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/3/05 at 02:12 PM

Joshua488
#202re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:25pm

In regards to the whole CAROUSEL thing, so what if the kids were all white?? It's ACTING! If the audience is too stupid and ignorant to accept the fact that everyone on stage is acting and not actually related, then that is a shame. Why can't you look past the color of their skin and understand that it's acting? Does the color of their skin REALLY matter THAT MUCH??

I told myself that I wouldn't say this, but I am a bit offended by some people's comments. The reason why race is such an issue is because people refuse to look past it and pay attention to the IMPORTANT things. I just am disappointed in myself for having some hope that people on this board would be more accepting.

I'm sure some folks on this board would be in an UPROAR if someone said something like, barring gay people from performing in straight roles. But when it comes to another trivial characteristic, such as race, it's just not acceptable.

#203re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:27pm

unfortunately joshua, sexual preference isnt always as obvious a characteristic as ones ethnic background so of course its interferes less when it comes to casting...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#204re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:31pm

That's very true.

And to mikeonbroadway: Your comment made absolutely no sense. Putting a black woman in a blonde wig to play Glinda is an entirely different issue than having a white woman play Caroline in blackface. Blackface is one, very illegal and very offensive for obvious reasons, and that's why it is illegal. We're not in 1918. Having a white woman in the role in blackface would be very insulting to many many people. Having a black woman in a blonde wig would be insulting to no one.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

commasplice
#205re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:51pm

Blackface isn't illegal, just offensive and tasteless.

Joshua488
#206re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:51pm

Regardless, it's the same type of idea. Sure, it's more obvious that I am not the same color as, say, John Tartaglia, but that shouldn't be an issue when it comes to casting a character with an unspecified race/nationality/ethnicity.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#207re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:58pm

Princeton: You're a little bit Racist.
Kate: Well, you're a little bit, too!
Princeton: I guess we're both a little bit racist.
Kate: Admitting it is not an easy thing to do.
Princeton: But I guess it's true...
Kate: Between me and You, I think
Both: Everyone's a little bit racist, sometimes.
Doesn't mean we go around commiting hate crimes.
Look around and you will find
no one's really color blind
Maybe it's a fact we all should face
Everyone makes judgements based on race.
Princeton: Now, not big judgement like who to hire or who to buy a newspaper from...
Kate: No...
Princeton: No, just little judgements like thinking that Glinda in Wicked should always be played by a white woman!
Kate: Right!

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.
Updated On: 2/3/05 at 03:58 PM

BEKA531
#208re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 4:48pm

wow, this thread gained 50 more posts since i last read it. the one thing i have to comment on is about the "make believe" factor of Oz and comparing it to the movie. yes, *we* do think about this as a fantasy world, however, most theatregoers who are seeing wicked are seeing it because it is one of the most popular (excuse the pun) right now, and *they* won't think about it this way. this show is a prequel to the wizard of oz, and EVERYTHING IS AUTOMATICALLY COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL MOVIE/BOOK. some of the scenery and costumes were specifically created so that they didn't make people instantly create corollations (ie - the wizard's head), however, we do it anyway. it is human nature to compare the NEW to the ORIGINAL. so, most people see glinda as white. the story of the wizard of oz does keep changing, but there is only so far that it can deviate from the original.

again, i do think a black glinda could work, AS LONG AS SHE HAS BLONDE HAIR to prove the script to be true. but this ^^ should also be considered.

munkustrap178
#209re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 5:00pm

Blackface isn't illegal? I was almost certain that it is, atleast in new york.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#210re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 5:20pm

black people can have all different types of hair color and eyecolors. we have all different hair types, skintones, whatever. i think the idea of having a black Glinda would be great. it shows diversity. it shows that people's attitudes are different and that(its been said a million times on this thread) RACE DOESNT MATTER.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Joshua488
#211re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 6:03pm

Well, it looks like we can't win this one.

Looks like we'll never win this one.

I'm done trying to promote a little bit of equality on this board. Some people are just ridiculous and refuse to open their eyes.

"A little splash of yellow makes a brand new sun. A dot of indigo can be the skies. A smudge of cream creates an effervescent cloud, if you're seeing with new eyes. A ripple on the edge can be a tidal wave, no matter what the size. Anything can be, depending how you see, if you're looking at your world with brand new eyes." --'Brand New Eyes', PRODIGAL

#212re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 6:35pm

munk, I think it may be illegal to walk the streets with blackface, but not illegal to use it within the realm of theater.
interesting read on blackface

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#213re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 6:37pm

Joshua--although some genres of theater don't require realism, "Carousel" does to at least a certain extent. Of course the audience knows that the people are onstage are acting. But there's something called suspension of disbelief which is key to one's theatrical experience. Two black people having white children breaks that.

I understand your frustration with racial issues in casting, but one has to draw the line somewhere, and when it comes to people onstage being related--yeah, they have to be the same race. Sorry, that's just how it works. And if you think that's prejudiced, well then I don't know what to tell you.

Changed_for_the_better Profile Photo
Changed_for_the_better
#214re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 7:07pm

Put my vote in the no way column. What an absurd idea for a black woman to play Glinda. Madame Morrible would be much more believable.

munkustrap178
#215re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 7:10pm

Joshua: You act as if this is a struggle between white and blacks and it's the few black people on this board trying to make all the cracker's see the light. That is not the case at all. You're making this into something way more dramatic than it really is. I agree - some people ARE very very very ridiculous and do refuse to open their eyes, but that just makes them look pathetic.

commasplice
#216re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 7:18pm

I don't think it's illegal anywhere. In the past few years there have been instances of people wearing blackface (most recent was someone who wanted to do a performance in it on MLK day this year in NY, and people were protesting it) and they weren't arrested (one was a judge somewhere, and there was an uproar, but nothing happened to him legally).

munkustrap178
#217re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 7:50pm

I just heard it was illegal and assumed it to be true. There are performance exceptions, I'm sure. But like mistress said: you can't just chill on the street in blackface. Your ass would probably be kicked anyway before anything legal happened.

Joshua488
#218re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 10:35pm

<>

I know. And it's THOSE few that I'm talking about, because if there are a few, that means there are more.

I love it how white people try to downplay racism like it's not a big of a deal as it really is. But then again, they usually don't have to live through a life where EVERY DAY some judges you and patronizes you because of your skin color.

Sure, I'm making this dramatic, but that's because when you live it, IT IS that dramatic.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#219re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 10:37pm

Just forming my little Amen corner over here.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#220re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 10:48pm

"I love it how white people try to downplay racism like it's not a big of a deal as it really is. But then again, they usually don't have to live through a life where EVERY DAY some judges you and patronizes you because of your skin color."

I understand. It sucks. I mean it REALLY sucks. I hope this doesn't seem like I am down playing it (it is NOT my intention) but it is similiar to being a woman, or being gay, a non catholic religion, or any other group where you are in the minority and/or faced prejudices. Men can have a hard time understanding why women feel like they aren't being represented in the work force, in higher level jobs. If 53% of the population are women why are only 3% of CEOs female? Just things like that. I know it isn't the same thing. But it is still on the premise that you cannot understand unless you have to deal with the problems a particular group faces on a day to day basis.

That being said, that is something this society faces - a society unique to our world (aka not Oz). I think it is sad to say "Well, they won't be able to see past the fact that this actress is black." Aren't you not giving the audiences a chance to accept it? I think it is an insult to not only the performers but also the audiences. Just writing them off saying "Oh they can't see through color" is quite offensive.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#221re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 10:53pm

This discussion has gotten WAY too dramatic.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

munkustrap178
#222re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 10:56pm

Well said, TGIF.

Joshua: You're still looking at it as white vs. black and like all the whites are at fault. I'm not saying there aren't really ****ty and really nasty racist people in this world, I just haven't encountered any yet. But it's a two way street, and I've experienced a great deal of racism from your end. That is what I will never understand. Perhaps it's because I don't have one racist cell in my body, where you have admitted that you do.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#223re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 11:40pm

"Blackface isn't illegal? I was almost certain that it is, atleast in new york."

In some circumstances (like on college campuses), it can be considered a hate crime and they can be punished, but it's not illegal.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

munkustrap178
#224re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/3/05 at 11:44pm

Thanks for clearing that up - let me go put some on.

Videos