pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 97

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2400FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 5:15pm

Not insulting to her at all. It's a BUSINESS. Someone's feelings are not factored into it. 

Penna2
#2401FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 5:37pm

Sutton Ross said: "Not insulting to her at all. It's a BUSINESS. Someone's feelings are not factored into it."

I thought Beanie should have been let go before the show opened - so her feelings don't matter that much to me, except, as most here agree, she was the reason the show opened at all. That said, this is not businesslike at all, IMO. Leaks are not professional. It's game playing. They know they have a dud right now as things stand. They pulled this a couple of weeks ago and then all of a sudden we had the announcement that Beanie would be doing the show until September. Didn't work. She goes on a talk show and now the rumors arise again. If it is a true leaker and not from the producers, fire that person's ass, they are not part of the team. If the story is true, then just make the announcement and move on - and get those ticket sales going for July, since that seems to be what this is all about.

Personally, I want to see Julie in the role, not a Streisand wannabe like Lea, but just do something. I want a tour to come to LA so I can see Julie perform. 

hearthemsing22
#2402FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 5:39pm

Penna2 said: "Sutton Ross said: "Not insulting to her at all. It's a BUSINESS. Someone's feelings are not factored into it."

I thought Beanie should have been let go before the show opened - so her feelings don't matter that much to me, except, as most here agree, she was the reason the show opened at all. That said, this is not businesslike at all, IMO. Leaks are not professional. It's game playing. They know they have a dud right now as things stand. They pulled this a couple of weeks ago and then all of a sudden we had the announcement that Beanie would be doing the show until September. Didn't work. She goes on a talk show and now the rumors arise again. If it is a true leaker and not from the producers, fire that person's ass, they are not part of the team. If the story is true, then just make the announcement and move on - and get those ticket sales going for July, since that seems to be what this is all about.

Personally, I want to see Julie in the role, not a Streisand wannabe like Lea, but just do something. I want a tour to come to LA so I can see Julie perform.
"

Re: a tour. Even if a tour does happen, it doesn’t guarantee Broadway performers. 

Penna2
#2403FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 5:47pm

Re: a tour. Even if a tour does happen, it doesn’t guarantee Broadway performers."

Yeah, I know, but I can't afford another cross-country trip! A gal can dream.laugh  I would like to see a tour, though, and the show has to show some sort of legs for that to happen. I wish the production that was originally planned for 2019 had gone forward - that was supposed to kick off here in LA - with Ramin. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#2404FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 6:04pm

Julie’s gonna have the last laugh when people all say that she’s leagues better than Lea Michele.

also Lea…is wrong for it. Fully fully wrong for it. 

what she has going for her is really stunning renditions of the big numbers. She probably would do them nice in a concert.

but she’s not even remotely Fanny Brice.

FranklinDickson2018
#2405FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 6:30pm

Lea Michele's documented behavior reminds me a lot of opera's Kathleen Battle.  The stories of Battle's toxic behavior circulated for years.  Eventually Battle was "fired" from the MET and also San Francisco Opera.  She continued to sing in concerts but never sang in a staged opera again. And stories continued to circulate about odd behavior on the concert stage.   So my question:  Can Lea Michele or will Lea Michele fully embrace non-toxic behavior and be acceptably kind and collegial to the Funny Girl company?  Will she be able to change?  I think it is important to any company that everyone work well together.  Also,  I have watched Michele's 2010 "Funny Girl" song on the Tony Awards --- and the audience is very NON IMPRESSED.  So 12 years later --- this could all change.  I am glad that Julie Benko will have scheduled performances.  She is poised to become a great star. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#2406FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:07pm

Joining a show and recreating the role from the start are different challenges, onstage and back. Whatever one thinks of this piece - and it’s not a wholly satisfying journey as those of us who’ve seen it can attest - it’s still a beast. I’d wager that the new star will have too much to get right, leading to her put-in (see Dunaway Sunset thread) to find much time to be less than a team player. Having an already well-received alternate can also keep you humble; the whole company has positive experiences with another successful performance. Perhaps less drama awaits this production than we think.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

hearthemsing22
#2407FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:19pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Julie’s gonna have the last laugh when people all say that she’s leagues better than Lea Michele.

also Lea…is wrong for it. Fully fully wrong for it.

what she has going for her is really stunning renditions of the big numbers. She probably would do them nice in a concert.

but she’s not even remotely Fanny Brice.
"

I LOVE THAT!! I agree. She should do a concert of Funny Girl but a full production-eh. Not so sure. I don’t want to see her Barbra impersonation. I want to see the role made her own. We’ll see if this actually happens. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2408FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:30pm

...and so it begins. The Lea Michele haters, irked that she will (according to the word on the streets) be replacing Beanie Feldstein and in effect realizing a life long dream of doing this show on the Broadway stage have descended upon Broadwayworld.com to post on what will be most assuredly a daily basis on how they "feel" (as if anybody truly gives a crap) on how she isn't "right" for the role because they presumably "know better". 

:: breaks out the popcorn ::   :: plays tiny violin ::  

Penna2
#2409FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:48pm

Well, we've seen what happens when lifelong dreams come true with this show already. 

Just me, but I'd like to see an actress who can do the whole magilla - sing, act, do comedy, have chemistry with the leading man...become Fanny. Julie Benko has already proved she can do that. Get they want a name for ticket sales, so maybe alternate is the route this young woman will have to take. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#2410FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:51pm

CarlosAlberto said: "...and so it begins. The Lea Michele haters, irked that she will (according to the word on the streets) be replacing Beanie Feldstein and in effect realizing a life long dream of doing this show on the Broadway stage have descended upon Broadwayworld.com to post on what will be most assuredly a daily basis on how they "feel" (as if anybody truly gives a crap) on how she isn't "right" for the role because they presumably "know better".

:: breaks out the popcorn :: :: plays tiny violin ::

"

It’s more like- it’s clearly meant to just be Julie’s show. 

star cast the mom and let her own it the way she has been

soxboy22
#2411FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:56pm

I only wish this were happening (if it does) earlier, say August.  I can see the Lea/Julie combo working very well, and if Lea gets the reviews, a smash.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2412FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 8:28pm

If all of this turns out true, I feel Lea will more than step up to the plate.  I’m sure she’s aware people say she wants to be Streisand so she’s a little more self-aware these days than several years ago.  In 2022 the world is a different place than when she last worked professionally 2018-19 so she knows eyes are on her now and her infamous toxic behavior has legal repercussions today.  I’m quite sure her contract will be a doozy and not the standard one a regular actor would be given plus I’m sure she want to repair her reputation.  It’s happened before with others.  

PipingHotPiccolo
#2413FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 10:46pm

people grow, people change. would be great if Lea was humbled by her experiences, learned to be a decent person, and was able to make a name for herself through her talent alone. im skeptical, but im pulling for her. 

Sutton Ross
#2414FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/1/22 at 11:52am

CarlosAlberto said: "...and so it begins. The Lea Michele haters, irked that she will (according to the word on the streets) be replacing Beanie Feldstein and in effect realizing a life long dream of doing this show on the Broadway stage have descended upon Broadwayworld.com to post on what will be most assuredly a daily basis on how they "feel" (as if anybody truly gives a crap) on how she isn't "right" for the role because they presumably "know better".

Preach honey! Even the past threads of complaining about her and what she did in like 2006. The saddest among us. Move on people! FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#2415FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/1/22 at 12:32pm

To Brody's point above: Nell Carter returned in the Misbehavin' revival to repair her attendance record reputation. She made a point of referencing her past, promising not to disappoint (I saw the show with two of the three women out back in the day).  Redemption does happen. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Papi2013
#2416FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/1/22 at 12:35pm

Sutton Ross said: "CarlosAlberto said: "...and so it begins. The Lea Michele haters, irked that she will (according to the word on the streets) be replacing Beanie Feldstein and in effect realizing a life long dream of doing this show on the Broadway stage have descended upon Broadwayworld.com to post on what will be most assuredly a daily basis on how they "feel" (as if anybody truly gives a crap) on how she isn't "right" for the role because they presumably "know better".

Preach honey! Even the past threads of complaining about her and what she did in like 2006. The saddest among us. Move on people! FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"

"

Oh she can take it.  Let the haters enjoy.  She has not been a very nice person .  So now let karma strike back.  I say sharpen those knives and get ready. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2417FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:43pm

I noticed that the home page for the FG site has been updated and no longer showing reviews and the raves for Beanie.

https://funnygirlonbroadway.com/

***There are now 3 weeks left to see Beanie in Funny Girl (through July 31st)!

We can confirm that all of our principals remain scheduled to perform all eight (Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced) performances a week barring an unforeseen absence. You can find more information about our entire cast and creative team here.

Stay tuned for additional casting news dropping Monday July 11th to learn who will join Ramin Karimloo, Jared Grimes and the company of Funny Girl.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2418FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:02pm

Here it is - Hello, Lea Michele and Tovah Feldshuh!!!

Beanie Feldstein’s final performance as Fanny Brice will be July 31, 2022.
Julie Benko will be playing Fanny Brice for performances August 1 through September 4, 2022.
Lea Michele’s first performance as Fanny Brice will be September 6, 2022.
Jane Lynch’s final performance as Mrs. Rosie Brice will be September 4, 2022.
Tovah Feldshuh’s first performance as Mrs. Rosie Brice will be September 6, 2022.

https://funnygirlonbroadway.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 7/11/22 at 01:02 PM

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#2419FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:04pm

Will Lea play Fanny Brice or Barbara playing Fanny Brice?

Sutton Ross
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2421FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:07pm

“ Michele is often credited as reintroducing the show to an entire generation of musical theatre fans due to her Glee character Rachel Berry's series-long obsession with the show's original star, Barbra Streisand.”

LOLOL.

Sutton Ross
#2422FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:07pm

Lea will play the role seven times a week, taking off Thursdays.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#2423FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:11pm

The planets are aligned again.  Welcome, Lea!

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 7/11/22 at 01:11 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2424FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:12pm

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

Videos