pixeltracker

Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?- Page 3

Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#50re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:44am

Urban Cowboy

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#51re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:50am

So Long 174th St. (An amazing show that needs to be brought back)
A Class Act
Amour
Thou Shalt Not
Jelly's Last Jam

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#52re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 1:16am

Whoopee!

The 1928 production with Eddie Cantor was a hit and spawned a movie. Then it sat and sat until Goodspeed tweaked it in 1979 and transferred it to Broadway for a 6 month run.

I'm in a production right now, but it is so seldom produced that our scripts were delayed an extra week because Tams-Witmark had to have them printed just to send to us. Which is too bad, because our production is playing well and it stands the test of time better than you might think.

After Eight
#53re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:29am

"So Long 174th Street" was renamed "Enter Laughing" and presented this past season at the York Theatre. It had a successful run. It had previously been presented in the Musicals in Mufti series.

chiuptown
#54re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:52am

STEEL PIER (for good reason)
WORKING (for what reason?)

Gothampc
#55re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 9:27am

WORKING (for what reason?)

Many community theaters and summer stock theaters have done Working. It's a musical that can be done on a low budget. But sometimes audiences have a hard time with it because there's not a plot and no big production numbers or dancing. The show is simply this person steps forward and explains their job, then this person steps forward. If the pace of the show is not kept moving and the energy high, it makes for a slow night at the theater.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#56re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 10:14am

Gone with the Wind
Imagine This

And Piazza just had it's British premiere recently.

Everything in life...is only for now.

AndAllThatJazz22
#57re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:37am

Dr. Jazz was completely forgotten.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

jejr
#58re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:48am

Redhead
Look to the Lillies
Body Beautiful
Home Sweet Homer
Updated On: 7/5/09 at 11:48 AM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#59re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:35pm

Arena Stage in DC did Hallelujah, Baby a few years ago.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#60re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:39pm

I don't think RAGGEDY ANN has been done since it was on Broadway in October 1986...

Same goes for INTO THE LIGHT.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:42pm

I kind of feel bad for SAVED! I think it had a lot of potential, but it made some bad casting choices and the design/direction was just rather bland and boring, but I think it would be great with some changes.

After Eight
#62re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:49pm

"The Body Beautiful" was presented at the Musicals in Mufti two years ago. A recording of the score was issued with this cast.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#63re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:55pm

I wouldn't expect any colossal flops that closed in previews or out of town or after only a few weeks to have "life" after their original productions. That implies they had "life" to begin with. And some of these definitely didn't.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#64re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:37pm

The Pirate Queen was an unfortunate flop. re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

tourboi
#65re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:51pm

SAVED is presently still in development, I think. I did hear they want another production in the near future. HIGH FIDELITY is indeed getting a sit-down resident production in Chicago, with a complete physical overhaul and new vision from the Broadway production.

As for OPPOSITE OF SEX, well, yeah they could bank on Kerry I guess right now. But she's now too old to play the part convincingly. They'd need to recast.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#66re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:52pm

I imagine most every community theatre has done Working at some point. There was also a recent revision.

Two Gentlemen of Verona was done in park a few seasons back and is popular at colleges. Ours did it.

Piazza will surely be a popular choice for light opera companies for many years to come.

I would also consider Cast Recordings to maintain the life of certain shows. Pirate Queen may not be produced anywhere anytime soon, but many fans of Pop Opera play it often.

And again, Baby is quite popular regionally. We had several productions within two years of each other. Papermill did a wonderful, slightly fixed (the show still has flaws) version with Carolee Carmello, La Chanze, Michael Rupert, and Norm Lewis.

I imagine Saved! would be a popular choice for schools and community theatres should the rights be released.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#67re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:54pm

GEORGY
JIMMY
SOPHIE
NOWHERE TO GO BUT UP
SARATOGA
THE VAMP
COMIN' UPTOWN

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)
Updated On: 7/5/09 at 07:54 PM

After Eight
#68re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 9:36pm

"Georgy" was revived at the Wings Theatre, NY in 1991. It was a very nice production.

tourboi
#69re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:02pm

Also URBAN COWBOY had a non-union tour.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#70re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:15pm

Did Catered Affair have any life after it closed? Not that that was too long ago...

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

follies85
#71re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:29pm

PRETTYBELLE. Are the rights even available to this show?

Perhaps WOMAN OF THE YEAR.

It would be nice to see more college and regional theatres tackle some of the shows on this list as opposed to all of the perennial favorites.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#72re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:23am

QUOTE: ""Georgy" was revived at the Wings Theatre, NY in 1991. It was a very nice production."

Hmmm ... I think one production 18 years ago (and at Wings, no less!) is qualification for "little or no after life".

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#73re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:59am

Tenderloin, apart from the 2000 Patrick Wilson Encores! Production.

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#74re: Musicals that had little-to-no-life after their original production?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 1:09am

TOVARICH
had a healthy bway run considering the economic state at the time. vivian leigh stared and there is a cast album. but the only other production of the show was this past year with Musicals Tonight. The original artistic team literally brought the material to us in a box on the 1st day of rehearsal. Its quite a charming show with some enchanting music!

Videos