Spring Awakening Tour

hockeynut2
#25re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:14am

I just returned from press night at The Kennedy Center and the show is still powerful, the score still incredible and emotional, and the lighting still gorgeous. My favorite performance was Blake Bashoff who played Moritz. He was brilliant. Here's an interview I did with Todd Cerveris and Angel Reed who are in the Kennedy Center cast. Hope you like it.
Intevriew of Spring Awakening's Todd Cerveris and Angela Reed at The Kennedy Center on DC Theatre Scene

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#26re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 7:35am

I have a friend who is on the tour who says that of all the guys who have played the role, Jake Epstein is her favorite (he's an actor, whereas most others are singers first and actors second).

I also heard from my friend that several people on the tour are leaving it within the next couple of months (about 4-5 of them). It seems that some of them have taken time off from school for the tour and want to go back. But they all have the option to stay on through the end of the tour if they wish.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#27re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:29am

Akiva--

I'm seeing the show at the Kennedy Center on Tuesday. I'll certainly post my opinion of the show and Jake. I saw the show in NYC with the OBC, although it was forever ago and I'm not sure how well my memory will hold up!

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#28re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:53am

Here is Peter Marks' review from today's Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070902746.html?hpid=artslot

AndAllThatJazz22
#29re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 4:52pm

Will Jake still be in the cast in February?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 4:58pm

Most likely as he just joined the cast. But he may have a more limited contract.

Bashoff has been my favorite thing about Spring Awakening for a looooong time....and certainly my favorite thing about the tour.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#31re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 5:51pm

Yes I'm quite that Jake's contract continues well past February. A bunch of Torontonian peeps plan on seeing him in the show in Rochester.

Akiva
Updated On: 7/10/09 at 05:51 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#32re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 5:52pm

My sister is a major Degrassi fan, so she'll be pleased to see him. I have no clue what she sees in that show, honestly.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#33re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/10/09 at 6:10pm

Go! I saw it in Columbus this year (excellent), & will see it in Cincy next year. As someone said after next season who know's if it will still be on the road. ITH will almost definitely still be on tour.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#34re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/12/09 at 1:03am

I caught the tour on Friday night at the Kennedy Center. I saw the original Broadway production (with the original cast) once and liked it quite a lot. The tour was in pretty good shape. Much better shape, in fact, than The Color Purple tour which is also at the Kennedy Center. In any case (I don't have my playbill in front of me), I thought the actor playing Moritz was quite excellent. The voices were quite strong. The acting was quite decent all around, especially the male cast members. I thought the actress playing Wendla was a slightly weaker link vocally (and to a lesser extent, acting-wise) to the rest of the three major leads, but not bad by any means. Though it was a good production, I remember the transitions between the dialogue and "inner-thoughts songs" being much more seamless on Broadway, but it could just be I don't remember it well enough. It just seemed to flow better on Broadway.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 7/12/09 at 01:03 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#35re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/12/09 at 1:10am

Unless you saw an understudy for Moritz you saw Blake Bashoff. He's a wonderment. He's played the role on B'way once John Gallagher left until it was time to leave for the tour. So he's been playing the part since December of 07 and he still finds ways to make the part frest and exciting.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AndAllThatJazz22
#36re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/12/09 at 10:40am

Change of plans, my parents want to see Spring Awakening in Atlanta. So I'll be seeing SA in Atlanta and ITH in Ft. Lauderdale (in the same month!).

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#37re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/15/09 at 4:22pm

I saw the show last night at the Kennedy Center. I'm swamped at work, but will try to get a review up later tonight.

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#38re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/15/09 at 5:07pm

I have a friend who was in the touring cast but I'm not sure if he is still performing. Does anyone have the program from a recent performance?

SeanInTheSpotlight Profile Photo
SeanInTheSpotlight
#39re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/15/09 at 5:14pm

just check the SA website it is up to date!!! Just wondering... who is it???

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#40re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/15/09 at 5:20pm

His name's Perry Sherman, he goes to Carnegie-Mellon.

dramadude2 Profile Photo
dramadude2
#41re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:15pm

I believe he is the Melchior u/s right now.

No one wants to see a musical called Thoroughly Modern Mildred.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#42re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:24pm

Perry Sherman is a "chair-acter"...understudying Melchior, Otto, Hanschen, Ernst, and Georg.

AndAllThatJazz22
#43re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:26pm

Does he appear on the Totally Trucked blog? I've probably seen him if he's ever been on there.

IfYouCan
#44re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:26pm

Perry's still in the cast. Next Sunday is his last show.

dramadude2 Profile Photo
dramadude2
#45re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:28pm

Can someone explain exactly what the chair-acters do in the show?

No one wants to see a musical called Thoroughly Modern Mildred.
Updated On: 7/23/09 at 09:28 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#46re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:31pm

The chair-actors are in seated in the onstage seating area. I even saw an usher show them to their seats as if they were regular audience members. Then in one of the numbers they stood and sang with the rest of the characters in the show. That was one of the few things I actually liked about the show, as it was totally unexpected.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#47re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/23/09 at 9:32pm

when I saw it forever and ever ago, the chairs were a bit of a surprise/SPOILER, so don't read it if you don't know/don't want to know!they are the ensemble in the show, they are dressed in street clothes and sing from the onstage seating chairs. END SPOILER

edit, dottie beat me to it. I guess it's not such a big deal anymore, but my first time I practically jumped out of my chair! (to be fair, I was sitting next to Gerard, I probably would have jumped even if I knew what was going on!)

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney
Updated On: 7/23/09 at 09:32 PM

Rydia
#48re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/24/09 at 7:05am

Is there a way to know which days the understudies will be on? I'm going to be so upset if I don't get to see Jake Epstein! Seriously lol. D:

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#49re: Spring Awakening Tour
Posted: 7/24/09 at 9:36am

I think his understudies are better than he is, to be honest. I did not enjoy Jake's performance that much, and I have seen every Melchior besides Lucas Wells on tour and on Broadway.