pixeltracker

Tony Award Nominee Kerry Butler Joins Broadway's ROA as 'Sherrie'- Page 2

Tony Award Nominee Kerry Butler Joins Broadway's ROA as 'Sherrie'

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 12:15pm

Someone on ATC said Catch Me will be opening next Fall.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 12:18pm

^Which makes sense given Mitchell and O'Brien's schedules, though why they'd waste their energy on this Phantom sequel is beyond me.

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#27re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 12:33pm

This is GREAT NEWS! I love Kerry, and I bet she'll be great!!!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#28re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 12:49pm

I am fine with her doing six shows a week,and Wise doing Sundays. They do have alternate adult lead roles in the West End so we should not complain.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#29re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 12:53pm

Savannah isn't going back into her ensemble track when Kerry comes.

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#30re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 1:08pm

Great! Now i have a reason to think about seeing the show!
Love me some Kerry!

whether its to spend time with her family or for the safety of her voice i think its great and smart that she negotiated the 6 a week!
Brilliance of a Brooklynite! :-*

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#31re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 1:09pm

"I'm thinking Sunday discounts could be a possibility here :)"

Because Kerry won't be in the role on Sunday? No one outside of the theater community cares. People see the show because of the music/rock concert element. As long as this show sells well, there won't be a discount. And if there is, it won't be a big discount.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

IdinaBellFoster2
#32re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 1:15pm

Great for her! And it's lovely to see "Tony Award Nominee" before her name!

AngryYoungMan
#33re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 1:28pm

I said about two weeks ago that I had a strong feeling Kerry Butler was going to end up playing Sherrie after Savannah leaves. I was shot DOWN.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#34re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 1:35pm

I was always trying to figure out who Savannah Wise reminded me of and it was Kerry Butler!

bryanw3535
#35re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 3:07pm

I freaking love Kerry Butler.

Yankeefan007
#36re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 3:30pm

The music is incredibly difficult to sing. Kudos to her for (potentially) realizing that.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#37re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 3:56pm

"I believe it was also in Kerry's "Xanadu" contract to have Sunday's off, to spend time with her family-- However, she felt she owed it to the people coming to see the show, so she did just about every Sunday as well-

Think Craig is correct here"

I saw Xanadu on a Sunday and she was in though.

I'm happy Kerry is joining the show. It'd have been great if Amy would have just done 6 performances a week. Maybe she'd still be in it =(

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#38re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 6:53pm

<< "I believe it was also in Kerry's "Xanadu" contract to have Sunday's off, to spend time with her family-- However, she felt she owed it to the people coming to see the show, so she did just about every Sunday as well-

Think Craig is correct here"

I saw Xanadu on a Sunday and she was in though.

I'm happy Kerry is joining the show. It'd have been great if Amy would have just done 6 performances a week. Maybe she'd still be in it =(
>>

Yep... like I said.. it WAS in her "Xan" contract to have all Sundays off, but she was there for almost every one of them.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#39re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 7:04pm

I'm less annoyed with Butler doing 7 shows and more annoyed that producers are allowing performers to do this. Just cast someone who will do the eight shows a week. She's not going to impact their box office so it makes no sense to cast someone who isn't willing to commit to a full Broadway performance schedule.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#40re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:34pm

why do you care? How does it impact anything? Obviously the producers find worth in having 6 shows performed by a very talented actress and sundays performed by someone else. Who cares?

tking001
#41re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:38pm

I'm curious why Constantine doesn't do a 6 show week also? It's a hard score to sing

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#42re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:49pm

Because maybe he likes performing 8 times a week?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#43re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 9:16pm

<< I'm curious why Constantine doesn't do a 6 show week also? It's a hard score to sing
>>

Because the "score" is not the ONLY factor--- Its personal preference. Obviously, Constantine likes doing all of the shows. Kerry happens to be VERY family oriented. (and I am NOT saying that she is the only performer that is)-

That is the reason why her contract allowed to be out of "Xanadu" on Sundays, if need be.

I am sure the same thinking went into this contract, as well as vocal rest. Probably a combination of both.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#44re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 9:45pm

Here is something that might be interesting. I was visiting my old theatre program the other day and I was talking to the main music director there who has done things like understudy for Broadway MDs and has connections to Broadway. He said that the reason why it might have only been a problem for Spanger and now the reason why Butler is taking a day off of the week could be with how the score is written. If you look at the 80's music that they are singing in the show, it is all songs that were originally sung by guys that were raised up an octave for the female voice. And, that the role of Sherri has the highest songs to sing in the score and has more songs then any of the female leads as well.

This was just a thought that he had as to why this role has had some trouble finding actresses who can do it eight times a week.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#45re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 10:12pm

Bobby - I don't know why you keep saying 7 shows a week instead of 8.. there are two perfs on Sunday - so she's doing 6, not 7.

And whether it was Kerry or not - I would still maintain that who cares what they are scheduled for since they are being upfront about it so people can plan accordingly. If an actor negotiated to do 6 performances or 4 or 2 or even 1 and the producers are OK with it - then that's that. If they had ANY problem with it - believe me - they wouldn't continue negotiations, right?

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 10:22pm

Constantine may be contracted to do 8 shows a week, but based on the Jeremy Jordan twitter/ facebook, he's out a lot.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#47re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/27/09 at 10:59pm

Constantine might also have a financial incentive to do eight shows a week because of his billing. If you look at the billboard for the show in Times Square for example, it will say starring Constantine Mariuls sp? of American Idol. So it might be different for him in terms how he is contracted to do the show and how many performances a week he agreed in negotiations to do. Of course I do realize that what he agreed to do in negotiations and what he actually has done are two different things.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

WishingOnlyWounds2
#48re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 12:05am

I shall be seeing this now.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#49re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 12:14am

"Constantine may be contracted to do 8 shows a week, but based on the Jeremy Jordan twitter/ facebook, he's out a lot."

Not really. As someone who sees the show at least once a week, I can tell you that Constantine is actually not out as often as it may appear.