pixeltracker

Why do people hate Wicked?- Page 3

Why do people hate Wicked?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#50Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:27pm

It's simple. People hate Wicked because people have different opinions. Your masterpiece is someone else's trainwreck.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#51Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:31pm

The first time I saw Wicked, in February 2006, I wasn't overly fond of it. i thought it was overrated and just nothing special. I revisited it again a few weeks ago and liked it a LOT better.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Ed_Mottershead
#52Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:33pm

They hate it because they spent an exhorbitant amount of money on that piece of crap.

BroadwayEd

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#53Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:51pm

And by "they", I assume you mean "I".

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ed_Mottershead
#54Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 3:26pm

No, I mean "they."

BroadwayEd

Brywal88 Profile Photo
Brywal88
#55Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 3:39pm

What are these so called plot holes people keep mentioning? I've seen the show twice and don't recall any such thing...please fill me in

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#56Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 4:31pm

"Plot hole" isn't the best word. I'm assuming most people are referring to the severely under-developed story as a whole. For instance the "great friendship" of the whole musical relies on a 30 second dance and a make-over. Then a day later their "best friends" in the Emerald City and BOOM she defies gravity and flees Oz haha. Not to mention the rapid fire romance between Elphaba/Fiyero. Plus a bunch of little things along the way. One in particular that makes me chuckle is the fact that Elphaba has been taking a sorcery seminar but knows nothing about the Grimmerie or that spells can't be reversed (Sorcery 101 anybody?? lol).

Obviously the show can only be so long and I personally don't see how they could have fit in any more plot-development without the show going over the 3 hour mark. As I mentioned before I love the show and feel they did their best to make the story as developed as they could BUT no one can deny that there are some pretty questionable moments throughout the show.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#57Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:17pm

well said, Mamie.

A masterpiece? no way.......Maguires book was far better than the musical.

That being said, I've seen ti in NYC, LA, and Seattle....and each time notice something new.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#58Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:45pm

I agree with what everyone has said about it's flaws, and what's good about it. My only real qualm with the show is that the book consists entirely of snappy one-liners that everyone insists on quoting over and over. The book doesn't exactly tell the story, for me at least. Every single scene that consists of speaking is entirely made up of witty comebacks and one-liners.

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

angelxschunard
#59Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:45pm

Double post.

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).
Updated On: 3/10/10 at 10:45 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#60Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 3:40am

There's nothing witty about the book IMO.

angelxschunard
#61Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 7:37am

I have to admit, "You must think I'm really stupid don't you?" "No, not really stupid" gives me a good chortle every time, but Glinda's constant mispronunciation and making up of words gets annoying after the second time.

tonynewyork
#62Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 8:29am

i saw this show in london and singing was as good as any i have ever seen a show!! this show is fantastic

bubbleblonde
#63Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 9:50am

I like watching the two leads give themselves nodules, the rest of it can go to hell for all I care.

Baylink
#64Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 10:06am

Ok... perhaps it's just me (so *many* things are just me), but I think some of y'all might be a bit jaded? Why do people hate Wicked?

My personal affection for Wicked comes from the *moral*. Yes, there's a moral in there, hidden under all the sugar. I know we're not supposed to point that out -- if you tell the kids it's good for them, they won't want to eat it no matter *how* good it tastes -- but I think the audience for this may skew a bit younger than some musicals, and I think that moral is something they oughtta hear, myself...

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#65Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 2:41pm

I actually like Wicked--up to that terrible power ballad love duet in the second act. It's all down hill after that.

SporkGoddess
#66Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 2:46pm

The moral in Wicked is there all right, and the book smashes it over your head with a hammer repeatedly.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 3/11/10 at 02:46 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#67Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 2:47pm

Yeah, I don't like As Long As You're Mine. It sounds like a cut number from Aida was thrown in at the last minute.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#68Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 5:22pm

I couldn't remember the name of "As Long As You're Mine" but it seems like the very kind of song they mock so well in Spamalot with "The Song That Sounds Like This".

FutureElphieEtc222 Profile Photo
FutureElphieEtc222
#69Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 5:29pm

You know, Wicked is the first (and only) Broadway show I've ever seen. I think it really is something special. It changed my life and my outlook on things. I lvoe the lessons and the music, I love the humor, the acting, the lyrics, everything. There are some people that will completly disagree with me, I know. But everyone has an opinion. Some people may think ALAYM is bad, but it happens to be one of my favorite songs in the show. Face it, the majority of people really love Wicked. It's one of the best things that has ever happenned to me. And to the people who think it's "As deep as a puddle" I happen to disagree. I think it has many lessons like acceptance, equality, making mistakes, keeping friends, and fitting in. It also somewhat faces segregation, an issue still relevant! I agree, I don't think like supremely, super deep, but I do think It's much, much deeper than people think. So serious haters, keep you comments to yourself, please. Some people really really enjoy this. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#70Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 5:56pm

Keep their comments to themselves? That defeats the purpose of this thread. Some people love it, some people hate it, and some people are somewhere in between. That's life.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#71Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 6:40pm

So serious haters, keep you comments to yourself, please

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a Wicked 'hater'. I simply pointed out what I think are the faults in the show. I'm entitled to do that just like you're entitled to rave about it.

On another note I really dislike how the word 'hater' is thrown around these days. Seems like anyone who states an opinion other than "[Insert show, actor, book, movie, musician, etc.] totally ROCKS!" is labeled a 'hater'.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

angelxschunard
#72Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 7:28pm

FutureElphie, keeping "opinions" to oneself nullifies the point of this thread. You're the first person that has actually gotten upset over what's been said. You can love the show all you want! We want you to love it. If you think it's the best, then it is. That's been repeated many times throughout the conversation, but all anyone was simply doing was having a discussion, and you got upset over it. No one is bashing your show. We are merely discussing the shows faults and why some of us don't like it. Not everyone will love what you love. Art is subjective. LIFE is subjective. Take a breather. It's alright if not everyone loves Wicked. I'm happy that Wicked changed your life. That's great! RENT changed mine, but I know that not everyone thinks it's a masterpiece. I don't even think it's a masterpiece, but the message speaks to me.

Personally, I find the show entertaining and that's it. It didn't push me to think about my life or push me intellectually, which is what I like to see when I'm watching a show. It was simply fun to watch and fun to listen to.

I don't agree with some people's opinion's of a forgettable score, and that's okay. In my opinion, I found the score wonderful. The underscore was what really spoke to me, though. I love listening to that more than to what's spoken over it. The lyrics confuse the crap out of me, though. "I'd sooner buy defying gravity." What? "There's a couple of things get lost." Why does that make sense? And the first time I heard "Look at her, she's wicked! GET HER!" I laughed. That's something I would write, lol.

The thing about Wicked for me is that it makes me happy! I get so excited for Elphaba when she's imagining meeting the Wizard! I'm grinning from ear to ear watching that scene. I'm so excited for her. I like the show. It's fun! And it's sad. I've cried during a few melting scenes, but a spectacle does not a good show make.

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#73Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/11/10 at 7:34pm

FutureElphieEtc222--if you're really so sensitive about this show that you can't hear any negative comments about it you are really on the wrong board. It's really bad form to try to shut other people up. I'm often really annoyed by what people say on this board but they have the right to say it.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#74Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/12/10 at 2:49pm

Trainwreck...welcome to high school...er..junior high...ah... Broadway World. Don't apologize for something you posted. There's no pleasing everyone...obviously. People in here have all sorts of opinions. It's always "something." People in here will always find something to criticize, however inocuous or well-meaning. Just enjoy BWW... and try not to let the critics bother you too much. That would be giving them too much credit. from RC in Austin, Texas... btw.. I like "Wicked." It's an enjoyable romp.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)