Ricky Martin Will Be In "Evita"

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Ricky Martin Will Be In "Evita"
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:17pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Deadlinecoms_Fleming_Says_Ricky_Martin_Signed_for_a_Year_for_EVITA_20100310

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#2Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:18pm

I'm so excited!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:19pm

Ugh.

Two leads I have no interest in seeing.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:22pm

I think he'll be great. But honestly, I don't care if they get Paris Hilton & Cedric the Entertainer in the show, I'm just thrilled for an EVITA revival.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:22pm

I can't believe that it took this many hours for someone this post this news...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#5Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:24pm

I'm getting more excited about Elena Roger, but I don't really have an opinion either way about Ricky Martin.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Q
#6Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:25pm

Did anyone see Ms. Roger's in London?

patti2
#7Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:32pm

oh dear lord

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:36pm

So the revival of the ALW show with his best score is going to feature a woman who can't hit the notes and who sounds dreadful on the recording, and a faded 1990's pop star.

Great.

Upland
#9Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:38pm

I'm in. Based on his original performance where he first exploded into stardom on the Grammys, I think there is a good chance Ricky Martin will be great. And the fact that he is a "faded pop star" has sadly more to do with his personal life than with his talent.

PiraguaGuy2
#10Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:39pm

There's no doubting that Roger has a good voice (despite what the recording would have you believe), but I had some issues with her performance, namely her insistence on being overly "performy" at all times to the point where I didn't feel like she was even trying to be Evita (and yes, I'm well aware that LuPone did this, but at least she had charisma. Your eye was always drawn to her, and Roger has to fight for your attention). Roger has some serious problems with English prononciatons, issues that were STILL not fixed when I saw the show.

I honestly don't even see what the point is in importing this London production 6 years after the fact. I have no real issues with Grandage's production, but why do we need to import it? Michael Grief or Des MacAnuff could do spectacular things with the show, stepping out of Hal Prince's legendary staging. And how about a homegrown Evita; Karen Olivo maybe?

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:41pm

Too bad BWW couldn't get Elena Roger's name right. Again.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

givesmevoice
#12Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:42pm

No. Karen Olivo is not an Evita. It has nothing to do with her talent, it has to do with the fact that she's Just Not Right.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#13Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:44pm

Michael Grief or Des MacAnuff could do spectacular things with the show, stepping out of Hal Prince's legendary staging.

Grief, yes. But MacAnuff? Did you see the dreadful Guys and Dolls that he helmed? I wouldn't let him near another musical after that nightmare.

djb Profile Photo
djb
#14Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:46pm

Q (and anyone else interested) -

I saw Roger's performance in London, and no matter what others may say, she was breathtaking. An utterly impressive and nuanced portrayal 100% through. Her English was not so precise at certain points, but this was several years ago and I am sure her English has vastly improved at this point. I was fine understanding her because I have had "Evita" memorized since I was five years old; my sister had trouble understanding her occasionally, specifically during the quicker moments (i.e. "Buenos Aires.") Roger's dancing is spectacular and her singing was glorious. Of course, she will be compared to La LuPone's infamous version of the "Never Forget" variety, but Roger is in a class all her own. They are completely different, and when Roger sang "Lament" in the last scene... I just don't think my heart has ever broken like that during a musical... Her performance was eloquent, not broad or showy in any way. I felt the way I did during her performance in "Evita" that I did watching Victoria Clark in "A Light in the Piazza" or Christine Ebersole in "Grey Gardens"... A true actress who uses singing to tell a miraculous story.

She's all about four feet tall (hyperbole, but honestly she's 5'1' or 5'2' at best) and is absolutely hilarious to meet. I waited for her after the show and she came out an hour later and was surprised because most people don't "stage door" at West End shows (or at least not when there isn't Harry Potter or Ewan McGregor.) She laughed and said I should have told the security guard I wanted to meet her and she would've invited my sister and I up to have drinks with her friends. Very funny and a beautiful performer.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:48pm

No. Karen Olivo is not an Evita. It has nothing to do with her talent, it has to do with the fact that she's Just Not Right.

What exactly about her isn't right? She can sing. She can act. She's Latina. She's the right age for the role. What's not right about Karen Olivo as Eva Peron?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#16Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:53pm

I don't know whether to laugh or, well, be a little excited.

I can't see Michael Greif directing Evita, honestly. There are worse choices, but he's not who I would pick.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#17Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:57pm

Not gonna lie, Ricky Martin will get me to this in a heart beat. Oh, having flashbacks to the 90s...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

givesmevoice
#18Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:57pm

adam, my opinion is that there's just something intangible about her that doesn't make her right. Someone commented that she reads very modern, and I agree with that. Also, while I like her voice, I don't know if I think it would serve the score well, or vice versa.

Who knows? Karen Olivo might make a fabulous Evita, but I have a tough time imagining it.

and djb, I think Elena Roger is actually under 5 feet.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 11:05pm

adam, my opinion is that there's just something intangible about her that doesn't make her right. Someone commented that she reads very modern, and I agree with that. Also, while I like her voice, I don't know if I think it would serve the score well, or vice versa.

It's not a period piece. It's a show set in the 1940's with a pop rock score. Webber doesn't write period pieces; he doesn't have the talent. His music is reflective of whatever decade he wrote the show in.

As for her voice not serving the score well...Elena Rogers' "singing" doesn't exactly serve it well, either.
Updated On: 3/10/10 at 11:05 PM

muscle23ftl
#20Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 11:15pm

"Who knows? Karen Olivo might make a fabulous Evita, but I have a tough time imagining it"

-I agree, I LOVE Karen, but she isn't the right person for this role, she looks very ethnic and if you see pictures of Eva Peron, she was very fair skinned. Also she was from Argentina, which is geographically and culturally very different from Dominican Republic(Karen has mainly Dominican/Puerto Rican/Chinese and Nativa American backgrounds). Just because she is a "latina" it doesn't mean she is the right actress to play Eva. I'm from Argentina and I know what Argentine women look like, and although they are a lot of ethnic looking "Argentinas", I find girls like Elena, or Josefina Scaglione(both with blue eyes and light brown hair) more typical looking.

djb, what a wonderful story! I'm glad she is so nice to her fans, I actually got to see her in Saturday Night Fever, Les Miserables in Buenos Aires, but I barely remember her performance in those 2 shows(she didn't play a lead either).
Last year I got to see her in Piaf and I hated her voice and the play in general, but it wasn't her authentic voice, she was trying to imitate Edith Piaf, but I'm willing to go to see her Evita with an open mind regardless! I want to be surprised!
Can't wait for this. I adore this musical.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#21Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/10/10 at 11:55pm

Who cares about Eva, Im there for Che in this revival!!! Bring on Ricky! Oh and I will cut a bitch at the stage door. Out of my way secretaries from the office pool, he's mine!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/11/10 at 12:09am

I'm sure all four of Ricky Martin's fans are ecstatic.

neal1b Profile Photo
neal1b
#23Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/11/10 at 1:59am

How can anyone judge if he going to be good or not if you haven't seen him in the show? I for one can't wait to see him. I wish Madonna would reprise her brilliant film performance on stage.

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#24Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/11/10 at 3:27am

I don't think Karen would be right for the role because she LOOKS Latina. Eva Peron was light-skinned and fair-haired, as most people are where she's from.

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

Videos