pixeltracker

Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:02pm

"David Cromer, who is currently represented in New York by his Obie and Lortel Award-winning production of Thornton Wilder's Our Town at The Barrow Street Theatre, will helm the upcoming Broadway production of the new musical Yank! A WWII Love Story.

Igor Goldin directed the acclaimed Off-Broadway production, which ended its extended run at the York Theatre Company April 4.

Cromer will make his Broadway musical debut with Yank!, which will arrive during the 2010-11 season. Cromer also received Obie and Lucille Lortel awards for his direction of the musical Adding Machine and a third Lucille Lortel Award for his direction of When the Rain Stops Falling at Lincoln Center Theater. He also directed last season's Broadway revival of Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs, and is currently at work on his production of A Streetcar Named Desire at The Writers' Theatre in Chicago. His productions in Chicago have won a total of 16 Joseph Jefferson Awards, including Best Production and Best Director for The Cider House Rules, The Price and Angels in America..."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/139393

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#2Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:04pm

Is this a slap in the face to Goldin, or am I missing something?

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#2Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:06pm

Well my interest in seeing this just went way up.

Brick
#3Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:07pm

Yes and no.

You are never gauranteed a job when something transfers, yet he was essentially fired. That said, Cromer is a hot director right now. And if the producers are looking to pickup more heat on their show, this is one way to do it.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:08pm

Well...this is a random pairing. But it'll get me to see it again. Not a fan of this show but a huge fan of Cromer.

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#5Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:23pm

That's a shame. I saw it in San Diego. I liked the work Igor did on the show, and was excited for him to move forward with it.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#6Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:24pm

Goldin is directing LIBERTY if it finds an off-Broadway house this fall.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#7Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:30pm

Well when I saw Yank at the York, I swore to God I would never see it again. I was ill when they announced it would transfer to Broadway, but I love Cromer, and now I'm actually excited to see it again. Funny isn't it? I hope they SCRAP the York production, and build an entirely new large production, and also scrap the whole cast, including Bobby whats-his-ragtime-guy. Who was my least favorite part of the York production. They should keep the older guy though, he was good. Everyone else can go.

*please note, I understand that this show will never open on Broadway without Bobby-whats-his-ragtime-guy.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Brick
#8Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:31pm

Healy of the Times elaborates:

"But as theater directors go Mr. Cromer comes with real star cachet, which will probably help the producers raise the $5 million they estimate as the cost of mounting the musical on Broadway. Theater critics also pointed to some problems with the musical during this winter’s run, at least some of which Mr. Cromer will undoubtedly address for Broadway."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:33pm

I loved Yank! at the York, but I think this is going to make it even better.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#10Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:41pm

I absolutely hated it at the York. If anyone can fix the problems, though, it's Cromer. This production might be decent now.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#11Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:47pm

Seems like they needed someone else to help address the show's problems. Good for them for trying to make the show the best possible. I don't think it will run on Broadway (can we start the meltdown closing threads now?) but I'll see it and wish them much luck.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Brick
#12Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 5:08pm

^ Yeah. I wish them the best, but I don't think it will make it either. Cromer certainly looks like a good choice, though, to get it there. Before that announcement, I doubted the $5 million appearing.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 5:25pm

I adored it at the York, and am excited to see what Cromer will do with it. The production as it was Off-Broadway was not suitable for a Broadway at all.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mattbrain
#14Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 7:51pm

I didn't see the production Off-Broadway. Can anyone tell me what was wrong with it?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

IfYouCan
#15Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 9:33pm

It was VERY small. There were little to no set pieces in some scenes and relied heavily on four (five? six?) grey panels on wheels along with benches and bunk beds to distinguish between different places.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#16Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 10:13pm

Can anyone tell me what was wrong with it?

The book was inane. Actually laughable.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 10:49pm

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18Cromer to Direct Broadway's YANK!
Posted: 5/10/10 at 11:39pm

You never know they might axe Bobby and try to put Justin Timberlake or Zac Efron in it. I mean, YANK! will be a tough sell on Broadway. No?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello