pixeltracker

What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?

What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?

romgitsean
#1What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 3:05pm

Although Happy Days has been musicalized, among other popular TV shows, what other TV shows do you think could be dramatized? I have a few friends who were working on a production of M*A*S*H not too long ago, actually.

I know it seems weird, but I think Sabrina the Teenage Witch could be a fun musical. And in theory, I'd love to see The Office or Parks and Rec on stage...but it'd never work in a million years.

Any other thoughts?

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#2What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 3:23pm

i know this is a movie not a tv show but i think Cheaper by the Dozen would make a great musical!

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 3:24pm

TV shows are ALREADY dramtized. Do you mean adapted for the stage? I think it's not a fabulous idea. The success of tv shows is in the ability to CONTINUE to create stories...that itself does not translate well to stage. Stage shows need a specific begining middle and end. COULD there be one that does work? I suppose, but I doubt I would be interested.

I do not actually look forward to more tv shows turned stage pieces.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#3What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 8:03pm

I think it's a losing proposition, taking well-known tv characters and their situation and basing a play or musical on them. A tv series, like dramamama said, is about continuing stories. Each episode builds on the previous ones and creates a history to the characters. Its success is not about one good episode but the cumulative effect of many.

Movie versions of tv series take on the rarely successful task of creating one "ultimate episode", taking many seasons of character, story development and jokes and cramming them into a single, all-inclusive story, while trying to make it more than just another episode of the show. The result is usually a plot that has many more details and much higher stakes than the sitcom ever had, and as a result, misses the spirit of the original by a mile. That said, movies are taped or filmed, just like tv, so they have the advantage of feeling more like the original series. Broadway adaptations have a much harder time making the transition work.

Unlike a lot of folks, I have no problem with movies being adapted for the stage (and vice versa)--IF it's a great story with great characters, and the director does more than simply try to reproduce the film on stage (or vice versa). But a tv series is not a play. It's a whole different animal.

AwesomeDanny
#4What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 8:10pm

The Addams Family

oh, wait...

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#5What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 8:25pm

^ 'zactly

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#6What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 8:35pm

Having recently sat through the Torture that is "Little House on The Prairie-The Musical"-------I say "Nay, Nay" to turning TV Shows into Musicals.

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#7What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 10:02pm

Aww, really? LOL. I saw Little House and thought it was...fun! It wasn't Pygmalion or Gypsy but I had a fun time! That and the tickets were free! Not that the two are directly related, but, free tickets!

The only TV shows I could see working as musicals would be kids shows, specifically for children. That's it, but I'd totally be open to anything if it wanted to try. I don't really think you can knock something until you see it for yourself!

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

PiraguaGuy2
#8What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 11:00pm

Bewitched. How perfect would that be? With Kelli O'Hara, J. Robert Spencer, and Elaine Stritch.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#9What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 11:11pm

The only TV show I could see working as a Broadway musical is The Muppets Show.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#10What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/15/10 at 11:23pm

The Facts of Life!!!!

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 1:46am

American Gladiators

There probably are some TV shows out there that could make good musicals. Maybe failed but brilliant ones like Wonderfalls or Pushing Daisies could be fun. Or something very episodic like Modern Family (not necessarily that show, but that kind of TV format without too many continuing storylines).

~Steven

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#12What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 3:14am

I think a few shows actually would work. But, I'm one of those that think close to anything could be successfully adapted if with the correct writers, interpretation, and concept.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#13What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 3:33am

I really think that "Strangers with Candy" would make a great play! If done correctly, it would be so funny...maybe even musicalized like The Toxic Avenger was....

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#14What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 5:35am

GLEE !!!1!!1!11one!!!11

HBBrock
#15What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 1:59pm

Married with Children, Saved by the Bell, and Full House could all be a success if turned into a musical. 90's TV!!!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#16What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 5:38pm

I always thought a dead odd and quirky musical of Twin Peaks

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#17What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 5:56pm

I think How I Met Your Mother could have potential if a through-line could be found.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#18What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 10:30pm

I think Twin Peaks could be a creepy little musical. Lynch will never let that happen, I'm sure.

I'd like to see Desperate Housewives done as a musical with Drag Queens.

Well, prettier ones than they have on the TV show right now.

Dead Like Me would also make a fascinating musical.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Gothampc
#19What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 11:21pm

I think The Flying Nun could work as a musical. I know, I know we've already had The Sound of Music, Nunsense and Sister Act, but I think The Flying Nun could work just for its zany-ness.

I think The Beverly Hillbillies could work as a musical. Everybody loves a rags to riches story.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#20What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 11:52pm

The Smurfs
Lost In Space
H.R. Pufnstuf
ER
Lost
The Patty Duke Show
The Twilight Zone
Baywatch
Bosom Buddies
Upstairs Downstairs
Paula Deen
Entertainment Tonight
Absolutely Fabulous
Family
The Nanny

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#21What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/17/10 at 3:27am

Musicals are somewhat similar to movies, in that they feature a somewhat complicated, extended narrative throughout, designed in the most part for re-watching. TV shows on the other hand are often quite simplistic and compressed, designed to keep the viewer watching the next episode. As such, whenever they are turned into a movie, or in some cases a musical, thye lose the fast paced spirit and become a bit bland.

Gothampc
#22What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/17/10 at 7:53am

Agree with Best12bars about Upstairs/Downstairs. I've always thought that would make a great stage play.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#23What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/17/10 at 12:48pm

Hello, Larry
Supertrain
Manimal
Chicken Soup
Blansky's Beauties
Cliffhangers!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Colle
#24What TV Shows do you think could be dramatized?
Posted: 5/17/10 at 3:20pm

TV shows I think might work as a musical or a play(maybe all of these would be better as a play), or ones that I would like to see:

Lost
The Tribe
Sonic the Hedgehog(based on the Sonic Sat a.m. show), with maybe some elements from the comic book

It is true that one would have to cut a lot in order to adapt a TV for the stage.