pixeltracker

which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?- Page 3

which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?

bwaylvsong
#50which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/30/10 at 9:51pm

Ivanguy, no offense, but instead of using your money to buy theatre tickets, maybe you should get some help. Sincerely, I mean that with no disrespect.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#51which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/30/10 at 9:52pm

If there was ever the day when there was as many people who smoked a joint before seeing a play/musical as people who text on their cellphones during the same thing then maybe weed would beat texting out in just general annoyance.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#52which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:12am

Im right there with you Ivanguy! Texting is much worse. I think that if you want to smoke a J before you go to a show go for it. People who dont like it can choose to move if they dont like it...

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#53which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:15am

"you have a martini before a show? I smoke a spliff."

He makes a valid point. Now I'm wondering how many people I've unwittingly offended with my vodka or c****nay breath.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#54which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:19am

People who dont like it can choose to move if they dont like it...

To where? Seats that DIDN'T cost me $130? F*ck that! You should move.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#55which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:27am

^I still laugh every time that censor happens.

Which is worse- reeking of alcohol or reeking of pot?

I'm going with alcohol, mainly because it's usually accompanied by base notes of body odor.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

wonderwaiter
#56which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:32am

Eeeew.

wickedpoppinsfan
#57which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:44am

But I still think you were in no position to tell him not to text when you're just probably making him want to puke. Not everyone likes the smell of weed. I hate ethe smell, so I would be annoyed.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#58which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:32am

ivanguy two things. First off, it's a Broadway show not a Phish concert. Pot might be okay at a Phish concert but not at a Broadway show. Second off all, I am not one to yell at people for texting for two reasons. First reason is that I am aware that I smoke and that the smell of that might be annoying to people around me. Second reason is that I have found that the time I spend telling someone not to continue on with their texting draws me more out of the show than their few moments of annoying texting.

I only have broken my rule once and that was in the lotto seats for Wicked when there were two people taking flash photos in the front row and that was pulling me out of the show every single time that they did that. And, even then I waited until intermission to say anything.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#59which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 4:26am

How is the smell of marijuana different than the smell of someone's perfume or cologne or even their natural scent? The texter was WAY in the wrong here!

When you text in a dark movie theater or Broadway theatre or anywhere dark, EVERYONE can see that light. The smell of someone isn't going to constantly take you out of the show because they're blinking every so often or ringing!

Texting is way worse. You can ignore the scent.

(And why is firefox telling me that "texting" isn't a word? lol!)

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

DefyGravity777
#60which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 5:37am

Why would someone need to smoke pot before going to a show? Why even get a ticket if you need something like that to get through a show?

Also if people are that bored during a show and feel the need to text why not just leave? You are going to disturb everyone around you anyway.

If you take a shower before a show and put clean clothing on and deoderant there is no need for cologne/perfume either.

I think they are both wrong. Marijuana is illegal in most places and every theatre tells you to turn your cell off.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#61which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 6:03am

Both would be distracting, but texting would be more annoying for me because I don't mind the smell of pot.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#62which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 8:32am

Saying that a smell like perfume or cologne or pot/cigarette smoke (or anything else, for that matter) is only an "inconvenience" is sort of a sweeping generalization...I have asthma and allergies, and one of the things I am allergic to is cigarette smoke. And yes, even the smell of it can make it difficult for me to breathe. I find both equally disrespectful and unacceptable in a theater.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#63which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 8:40am

I know it's early...but what is c****nay breath?
Last night at La Cage, I sat next to an HUMONGOUS man. Of course this is different, because he didn't choose to put on 100 pounds right before the curtain. However, I hate having contact with someone that I don't know, and everytime he moved, his adipose tissue would end up on me again, causing me to move further and further to the other side of my chair. Not a deal breaker, but it was a bit of a DRAG.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."
Updated On: 5/31/10 at 08:40 AM

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#64which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 9:11am

^ No pun intended, I hope. *facepalm*

I, too, toke up before many shows that I feel call for it; either it will add to the atmosphere or allow me to sit through them. (Usually by topical relevance -- for example, I would definitely toke up before Hair, JCS, Rock of Ages for damn sure, maybe Rent, actually pretty much anything with a rock or contemporary pop score, but not, say, My Fair Lady.)

But... I always have the courtesy to hit that full throttle with cologne, deodorant, you name it, after I've toked up (maybe judging by some of the posts in this thread that makes me more annoying, I dunno). The point remains, however, that some consideration for the people around you is merited by the fact that you're engaging in heinously illegal activity compared to activity (as much as we wish it weren't) that should be illegal but is more like an etiquette breach (i.e., texting, etc.).

The brownies sound like a cute trick though. Gonna give that one a try.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
Updated On: 5/31/10 at 09:11 AM

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#65which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 9:16am

Both of you should hang your heads in shaaaame.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#66which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 9:57am

Texting is way worse. But if you want to light up before a show, just do it at home and then take a shower just before leaving for the theatre. Fact of life is that basically everyone smells of something. Some stronger than others, to be sure, but not everyone has the same level of olfactory sensitivity and it is ridiculous to blame others who are not as sensitive to odors as yourself. I don't care for certain odors, but I recognize them as usually being something that is really not the fault of the other person. The only time I recall it truly being another's fault is when a woman in front of me at the theatre pulled a bottle of perfume out of her purse and gratuitously spritzed herself (and those around her) with her scent. That was truly heinous.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#67which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 11:33am

Gator, I think c****nay is referring to a type of white wine.

Just give the world Love.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#68which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 11:58am

Gator, I think c****nay is referring to a type of white wine.

I'm assuming it's c h a r d o n n a y, a white wine, as you said. It's hilarious to me that you can't type the name of a wine here without the censor automatically censoring it.

kc2 Profile Photo
kc2
#69which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:09pm

I had a feeling the show was going to be Addams Family.

I've yet to experience anyone filming or taking pictures during a show ... plenty of people who refuse to stop talking throughout, a few texters (which I found very distracting) and an infuriating head bobber. I think the latter bothered me most because it obstructed my view and gave me neck ache as I had to keep switching my head every 10 seconds too, grr.

April Saul
#70which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:30pm

Wow, this is really a pot calling the kettle black scenario, but my first thought was, I can't imagine having so much money that I'd spend it on a show that is only bearable if I got high! How much and why did you even pay for a show you figured would be barely tolerable?? Kind of reminds me of audience members who actually snore while napping, which isn't fun to endure either!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#71which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:32pm

There is nothing wrong with having a puff before seeing a show. I do it all the time. But please... take a mint or spray your mouth. It is just common courtesy. The texting and cell phone usage is just rude and obnoxious and a huge buzz killer wether you are stoned or not.

And for those of you acting all indignant.. you really need to take that stick out of your a**.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#72which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:33pm

I thought the c word was going to be a lot more illicit, dirty, and vulgar than that!

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

wonderwaiter
#73which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:42pm

Well, if you look at the letters that it censors...

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#74which is worse: stinking like weed or texting in a theater?
Posted: 5/31/10 at 12:46pm

^Agreed, DAME. All the DARE graduates need to get off their high horses. Smoking weed before a show can enhance the experience; it's not an inherent sign of disrespect. You can even come away from it appreciating the show on a much deeper level than the sober audience. Lord knows many of these playwrights were in altered states when they wrote it; why not see it through their eyes?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 5/31/10 at 12:46 PM