pixeltracker

Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#1Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 2:48pm

Please delete if this has been posted before, but I've searched every which way...

Every gay here in Nashville has posted this on their Facebook page, and it IS kinda funny, & borderline offensive too. The random editing is actually the funniest part for me, even more than her bizarre character.
Laura Bell Bundy's Pseudo-Blackface

rmusic11322
#2Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 2:55pm

It sounds like Laura Bell, but what the hell did they put on her face to make her look so... like that?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#2Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 2:57pm

This is amazing.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#4Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:01pm

She deserves a Tony for her work in this!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:02pm

Who knew she was such a character actress?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#6Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:03pm

Oh she's not in blackface. And people need to lighten up if they're offended by this.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#8Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:10pm

I'm not REALLY offended by it, but she's clearly doing an funny impression of an African-American woman/hairdresser. It doesn't come across a mean-spirited, which is what keeps it from being really offensive.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#9Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:11pm

And no, it's not technically "blackface" but the enlarged brown lips are pretty damn close...

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#10Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:11pm

Shirley Q. Liquour could have done that a lot better.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#11Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:12pm

I find it funny, racist and disturbing the same way I find Shirley Q. Liquor funny,racist and disturbing.

I don't "feel" she intends to mock African-American dialect and culture. But she does.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

jimmycurry01
#12Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:19pm

Yeah definitely not blackface (her lips are not enlarged, just a lot of lipstick), and hardly what I'd call racist. It is very much on par with a whole lot of what SNL does.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#13Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:33pm

agh! I called the number and it was legit.. or at least it was a legit message and then I got a text saying I had subscribed to her 'mob?'

Agree though: not blackface. Just southern beauty culture.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#14Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:37pm

I saw this when all her videos came out months ago. I'm usually the first person to cry racism, but I don't see it here. This is one of a series of videos she did for... her album maybe? about a fictional Cooter County. I thought they were actually funny, and as a general rule she annoys the hell out of me.

I see plenty of inner city white and Latina girls who look like LBB does.

I don't see this as being on par with Shirley Q Liquor (which is vile and racist) at all.

TheKandyLife Profile Photo
TheKandyLife
#15Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:48pm

hahaha that is hilarious!

i am so gonna use some of her phrases..."oh krr?"...."we cut you!"

omg Laura bell Bundy just went up in my liking (she was already pretty high! haha)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#16Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:49pm

Very similar to Anjelah Johnson and her "Bon Qui Qui" video (which Bundy sorta references/copies briefly with "cut you.") Johnson is Hispanic/Native American and plays both black and asian characters.

Reminds me of Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph who are called on to play just about every race imaginable.

I wasn't saying she had collagen injections or anything... Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature But you're telling me Bundy's lips aren't visually "enlarged" by that makeup? She actually has a pretty small upper lip...

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#17Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:51pm

Agreed about Shirley Q. Liquor... Briefly funny until his writing resorts to constantly referencing welfare, chitlins, etc.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#18Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:52pm

I'm not suggesting her lip wasn't made to look bigger, but I don't believe there was a racist connotation. Maybe, it's also because racially I would have thought she was mocking Latinas (if I thought she was mocking any race).

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#19Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:52pm

jpbran, I was JUST getting ready to say that it reminded me very much of Bon Qui Qui (one of my favorite skits of all time).

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#20Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:55pm

It's racial humor...but not racist. I can't believe I'm going to make the comparison, but it's very much in the same vein as what Tracey Ullmann does. There's a specificity, wit and charm about it that keeps it from crossing into full-on minstrely.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#21Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:58pm

^ Well put, sonofrobbieJ!

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#22Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 3:58pm

Ms. Stone-- I was referring to jimmycurry's comment, not yours.

"her lips are not enlarged, just a lot of lipstick"

CateBroadway Profile Photo
CateBroadway
#23Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:09pm

I don't think it has to be explicitly a black character she's playing. I've seen many a white girl at my salon in Queens who'd give her a run for her money. I was most shocked by was her hilarious sketch comedy skills. I laughed more than I do in the average episode of SNL.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#24Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:12pm

SonofRobbieJ,

Thank you for that comment. I questioned my being okay with Ullman's act vs. my my being squeamish about the Bundy video.

For me.. the distinction is .. and let me stress this is only my subjective reaction... Ullman plays a character.. who happens to be male, white, black etc. What Bundy is doing is playing a caricature of "black."

To me there is a distinction.

Again, I don't think Bundy intends to mock black dialect and culture.. but to me she does so inadvertently.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 7/15/10 at 04:12 PM