pixeltracker

Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature- Page 2

Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#25Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:20pm

Gotcha, jp. I wasn't taking offense anyway. :)

It's funny that you keep saying she's mocking black people, Almira (well, not funny, but you know what I mean), because to me I still see Latina over black. Not that mocking one is any better than the other.

The thing is - there ARE white girls who look and talk like this as well.

Also, I'm duly impressed that we're all having a discussion about race on BWW that has as of yet not devolved into tantrums and nonsense. :)

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#26Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:27pm

Phylis, I'm Latino myself I KNOW there are A LOT of latina girls who act like that. HipHop/Rap/Black popular culture is pervasive and influential.

But just to clarify.. I don't think she is mocking "black people."

I think she is inadvertently mocking a certain portion of black culture and black dialect. She like some (I hate this word) wiggers are fascinated and enamored by black culture.. and it can be hard to read when they are celebrating it.. or trying it on just for a joke.

I think Bundy is trying it on just as a joke. And.. to me.. it comes off as a hint mocking.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#27Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:30pm

Shocantelle is the spitting image of my roommate's (white) sister, so that was the first thing I thought about.

Praise.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#28Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:32pm

and it can be hard to read when they are celebrating it.. or trying it on just for a joke.

I totally get what you are saying. I just am reeling from the fact that I've been defending Laura Bell Bundy!

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#29Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 4:39pm

Real discussions about race on BWW can stay civil, I guess... it's when the subject is something else and gets sidetracked by racism claims (especially baseless ones) or actual racist comments that it all goes kablooey.

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#30Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 5:05pm

Its not racist humor, its cultural humor. Fact is plenty of white, black, hispanic, indian, and asian girls act like this. Being urban is not exclusively black or hispanic. Now if she had on black face, white lips and called herself a coon from cooter county...well then we would have a problem. As it stands right now. This is just darn funny. Okrrr.

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#31Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 5:39pm

I don't think she's mocking black people--she's mocking white trash southerners who quite often talk like black people. It's a country thing.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#32Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 5:51pm

she's mocking white trash southerners

That character is supposed to be white? Really?

I'm obsessed by whatever the hell happens to her right earring at 0:13.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#33Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 5:56pm

After watching this and Euneeda Biscuit, I hope HBO is watching as well. She's the next Tracey Ullman, as Robbie (sort of) indicated.

Controversial? Sure. But damn funny, and a real character actress. I'd love to see her turned loose in the variety show format.

Character sketches and singing and dancing. Sign her up!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PeterJamesZielinski Profile Photo
PeterJamesZielinski
#34Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:08pm

You need a hobby.

Stop being so PC.

It's unbecoming.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#35Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:15pm

My God. I had no idea she was this versatile! Brilliant. She needs her own show. Hilarious.

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#36Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:16pm

Pal Joey said, "That character is supposed to be white? Really?"

Sure. I know a lot of white people who act like this. I even know of some celebrities who do--look at Britney Spears.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#37Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:19pm

"Blackface" from a conceptual standpoint does NOT mean just literally painting black onto one's. For all practical purposes this is absolutely blackface. And pretty offensive if you ask me.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#38Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:25pm

morosco--I had no idea either. I'm beyond impressed.

People are always bitching about missing the likes of Carol Burnett and other versatile comediennes and entertainers. "No one around like that anymore."

Well, folks, here's one right in front of you. Talented, seasoned, and ready to go.

Now pony up! Get her on the air with her own show.

NOW.

Or ... quit your bitchin' and keep on with the jackass reality shows, celebutants, and YouTube personalities.

But the talent is there. You just have to recognize the difference when you see it.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#39Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:29pm

I would love to see her team up with Leslie Kritzer and do a variety show.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#40Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:30pm

best12bars--I almost mentioned Carol Burnett. Bundy appears to be as talented. I can't wait to see more!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#41Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:32pm

As for her character, I am reminded of the two straight African-American actors who played those "fabulous" film critics on In Living Color ... "Men On Films."

I still laugh my ass off when I watch them. And I'm not offended that straight actors are playing gay characters.

Why should I automatically be offended by a white woman playing a black character or even caricature?

If the exact same character and lines were being said by Kim Wayans or Debra Wilson, no one would say a word. They would just laugh and applaud.

So the issue here is the actress is white.

I say ... so what? If it's funny when Debra does it, then it's funny when Laura does it. If you have an exception to your rule, then you're the one with the racial barriers, not me.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#42Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:37pm

Who knew Laura Bell Bundy was so funny? Where has this talent been all these years?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#43Laura Bell Bundy's racist(?) caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:42pm

I always thought she was funny, but had no idea she was a true character actress. A funny blonde, sure. But that's it.

She's totally immersing herself in those two ladies, even able to improvise small moments, as the best of 'em would. And having a blast at the same time.

I was thoroughly entertained and impressed.

Add in her terrific singing voice, and you have a rare find. She needs her own show.

JbaraFan1
#44Laura Bell Bundy's not racist at all caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:42pm

It's not racist. Gah.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#45Laura Bell Bundy's not racist at all caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 7:56pm

I want to be able to make that cricket sound when I say okay. How does she do that? lol

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#46Laura Bell Bundy's not racist at all caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 8:03pm

Cooter County websites:

http://www.cootercounty.com/
County Gov't Website

http://www.tatiannawaxesyou.com/
Tatianna's Waxing and Taxing

http://justicegoode.com/
Justice Goode, Private Detective

http://www.be-weave.com/
I Be-weave Hair Salon

http://thecooterexaminer.com/
The Cooter Examiner, newspaper

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#47Laura Bell Bundy's not racist at all caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 8:42pm

Its not racist at all, things like this are done on SNL etc only nowhere near as good as this.

Ive always like LBB, i thought she did a great job in Legally Blonde, but WOW. This girl is funny, really really funny.

What a riot, i agree get the girl her own TV show now.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

AndAllThatJazz22
#48Laura Bell Bundy's not racist at all caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 8:44pm

I don't see anything racist in this video. I don't really see anything funny, either.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

FindingNamo
#49Laura Bell Bundy's not racist at all caricature
Posted: 7/15/10 at 10:45pm

I tell ya, nobody does funny take offs on the coloreds quite like white Southerners! Must be something in the water down there! Although, I have to say, it would be even more "on point" with Laura Bell's original nose. If you get my meaning!!!!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none