pixeltracker

My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL

My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL

Yankeefan007
#1My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 8:16pm

Watching the new company of the heartbreaking musical NEXT TO NORMAL, I finally saw what I didn’t see at Second Stage or at the Booth with the original company.

True, everything about Alice Ripley’s jaw-dropping performance was stuff of legend: her crooked smile, her expressive, crazed eyes, and a voice that sounded like it would break at any second. Ripley bulldozed her way through Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey’s script and score like a tornado, leaving no room for anything else in its path. And while J. Robert Spencer (and before and after, Brian d’Arcy James), Jennifer Damiano and Aaron Tveit were quite strong in their roles (Damiano in particular), the show was Ripley’s, TKO.

Was there emotion? Of course there was. I didn’t see it. And I thought that Michael Grief’s staging didn’t match the direction in which Kitt and Yorkey had taken their material post-Second Stage.

But that all changed watching the new company, as I found myself dissolving into a teary-eyed mess at multiple points throughout the first and second acts. What Marin Mazzie, Jason Danieley, Meghann Fahy and Kyle Dean Massey have done is turn NEXT TO NORMAL into an ensemble piece.

Mazzie’s Diana is far stronger a woman than Ripley’s. You wouldn’t think that she’s about to fall off the deep-end; she seems far-stronger, yet terribly addled. But ultimately, you can't help but think that she will get through it, and be better because of it. It's well-thought-out, sans rawness, but with knife-like precision. It was really interesting to hear how the songs sound when sung sans vocal flourishes. Mazzie’s beautiful rendition of “I Miss the Mountains,” is a true show-stopper.

Having her real-life husband, Danieley, play Dan, her stage husband, brings an interesting dynamic to the piece. Singing the role spectacularly, his Dan is just as much of a tortured-soul as her Diana, but you’re unsure if he’ll get by in the end. Together, they make a dynamite team, mutually trusting, sexy, and believable.

A strong, yet tortured woman and a strong, yet tortured man, have raised a very weak, very tortured daughter in Fahy's Natalie. That's not to say she's weak - FAR from it - but you could easily see her fragile Natalie walking down the same path, sliding into the mental instability of her mother feet-first.

Massey, who performed with the original cast, Adam Chanler-Berat and Louis Hobson are all quite solid in their roles and are still making interesting choices in their roles, years down the pike.

With NEXT TO NORMAL now as an ensemble piece, everyone has a chance to shine, and they do. It’s not just one person’s show anymore, it’s all of theirs.
Updated On: 8/1/10 at 08:16 PM

doombuggy25 Profile Photo
doombuggy25
#2My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 8:33pm

Thank you so much for your review! This makes me even more excited to get to see them :)

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#2My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 9:27pm

Yankeefan, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm wondering if you had seen the previous cast a long time ago or fairly recently. I went to Ripley et al's last performance after not having seen the show for over a year, and was also struck by how the show was much more of a balanced piece than when I had seen it earlier, when it really seemed like The Alice Ripley Show.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Yankeefan007
#3My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 9:37pm

I saw it shortly after it opened, or something close to that. And once at Second Stage.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#4My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 9:54pm

Glad to hear this!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#5My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 10:22pm

I saw the new cast last weekend and I couldn't agree with this review more! beautifully put!

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

CountA Profile Photo
CountA
#6My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 10:45pm

I knew Marin Mazzie would be great! Jason too! I can't wait to see it.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#7My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 10:59pm

Yankee, thanks for the review. I brought a ticket a week or so ago. Seeing it Tuesday week. Can't wait.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#8My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 11:22pm

I really need to get a ticket for the new cast.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

BellatrixxLestrangee Profile Photo
BellatrixxLestrangee
#9My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 7/31/10 at 11:55pm

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to go see the show!

You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for? -BP.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:00am

Good review, and I agree with about 80% of it. I was also at the matinee, and Marin has improved greatly since I saw her at her first performance.

Mercifully, they've adjusted a lot of the keys, which has allowed her to belt the score a lot more then she was doing (her first show, she sang 85% of her songs in her head voice). They haven't changed any of the harmonies, so any time she harmonizes, she's in her head voice. This was only a noticeable problem during the last verse of I Am The One, when she comes in singing You Don't Know. You couldn't hear her, and Kyle and Jason drowned her right out. That part of the song remains her weakest moment. The most noticeable key change is Didn't I See This Movie. It never made sense to have her singing in her upper register when she's yelling at Dr. Madden. Another interesting change, is the oft discussed I Dreamed A Dance. Marin and Kyle have amped up the sexual undertones exponentially. I've never seen the number played that overtly sexual before. Anyway, her act 2 remains very strong. She doesn't, and I don't think she ever will, throw herself into the role with the reckless abandon her predecessor did, nor does she have the raw emotion that Alice did. But she's still very effective.

Meghann Fahy's more innocent, more fragile Natalie remains outstanding and about as perfect as can be.

Kyle Dean Massey (who took an optional high note at the end of I'm Alive that sounded incredible), Adam Chanler-Berat, and Louis Hobson all remain stellar.

And then there's Jason Danieley. He's not bad, just a complete non-entity. His Dan doesn't register with me. He's just kind of there. No emotional impact whatsoever. He doesn't have the big booming voice that Brian D'Arcy James or Michael Berry do, and actually seemed to struggle quite a bit with the low notes.

Good energy today, and a good audience as well today.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#11My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:36am

"And then there's Jason Danieley. He's not bad, just a complete non-entity. His Dan doesn't register with me. He's just kind of there. No emotional impact whatsoever."

I couldn't disagree with this more. I thought he was wonderful tonight (well last night) and his "I am the one (reprise)" killed me.

Updated On: 8/1/10 at 01:36 AM

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#12My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:42am

I'm with you, Blockhead. Jason was a huge standout of the new cast for me and he broke my heart as Dan (which, of course, I loved). I went home and bought his country cd and his cd with Marin. Wonderful, both of them.

Chrysanthemum62001
#13My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 8:04am

I've been wanting to see this ever since I first saw the article announcing who would be in the cast. Has anyone heard how long they are scheduled to be in the production?

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#14My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 8:31am

Through January.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 9:19am

Yankee, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I didn't particularly care for Massey, though. He seemed to be vocally walking through the show the night I saw it.

Mazzie is as much of a force of nature as Alice; they just have different styles. It was a brilliant performance.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Yankeefan007
#16My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 10:18am

"Marin and Kyle have amped up the sexual undertones exponentially. I've never seen the number played that overtly sexual before."

I, too, noticed the very steamy relationship between the two of them, to the point where it looked like they were kissing while silhouetted.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 11:21am

I've seen this show so many times (Second Stage, Arena Stage, multiples times on Broadway), and seeing it with the new cast was the first time that I felt ANYTHING for the characters. I find myself crying so much at all the heartbreak. I really enjoyed the new cast. I could never really connect with Ripley. I just didn't think she was a good actress at all. She was just throwing all her **** on the wall and seeing what stuck. And sure, that works for some people and a lot of you loved it - which is fine - but it just never connected with me. But Mazzie is giving a stellar performance. Her voice wasn't as "rocky" as I would have liked, but it was nice to hear a real voice singing the show.

Everything else was great, but I still have to say I think towards the end of Act 2 the momentum of the show just halts to a stop. "Maybe" needs to be cut or reworked or something, but coming closely after "So Anyway I'm Leaving" it is just too many slow songs and I think the show just moves at a rather dull pace at that point.

Random side note: What happened to Tim Young? I noticed there was a new cover/standby for the younger male roles?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#18My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 11:37am

Tim hasn't been in the show for months.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 12:56pm

Oh I know, but I was just curious to know why he didn't renew his contract or what exactly happened there?

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#20My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:14pm

I heard that they didn't ask him to renew..no idea how true that is

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 2:17pm

There was a random rumor floating around that he was going to play Henry on the tour. Again, no idea how true that is.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 2:27pm

Hm. He's def. a henry more than a Gabe. I semi-knew him personally and he's kind of crazy. But I was just curious. It seems like he left awhile ago, right? So if he's doing the tour, I don't know why he would need more time off than Ripley? But who knows, I guess.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#23My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 2:31pm

Ripped, I felt the same way about Ripley. Actually, what you say might make me re-visit this show. Why did you keep going to the show if you couldn't connect?
Marin is one of Broadway's brightest stars and her voice is terrific...I might have to check her out. Marin is a terrific actress and singer.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

RyToast1
#24My thoughts on the new company of NEXT TO NORMAL
Posted: 8/1/10 at 4:31pm

"Kyle Dean Massey (who took an optional high note at the end of I'm Alive that sounded incredible)"

YES!! I was there too yesterday, and that note was unbelievable!!!

Videos