Barbra Streisand in Gypsy

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#1Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 10:28pm

Does anyone else but me think Barbra would play an awesome Rose ?? maybe in a movie if they ever decide to remake it. Her 'Rose's Turn' and 'Everythings coming up Roses' would be amazing.

Flaunt It
#2Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 10:34pm

How much CGI will be needed to make her believable as a mother of a 10 year old?

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#2Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 10:35pm

5 to 10 years ago she would've kicked some major ass! Unfortunately, by the time we get a movie or a revival, she will be in her 70s, even though she doesn't look it. One can only hope though!!!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 10:39pm

She was, in fact, at one point attached to a new film adaptation of the musical.

Like so many attempts over the years to redo that musical on film, it fell through.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#4Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 10:50pm

I would be satisfied with her just recording some of the songs.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 10:57pm

Well maybe she will on her fabled third Broadway album which she says will be coming soon for the past 15 years.

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#6Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/11/10 at 11:45pm

How about Meryl? She may not have the voice of Streisand, but she could act the hell out of it, and is a little younger.

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:28am

People seem to forget the reality that the role should really be played by someone in their 40's (Ethel Merman was 51 when she originated the role). Barbra Streisand is 68 -- old enough to be the grandmother of Louise and June.

This is what Barbra REALLY looks like without the elastic pull-cords she uses on her face and neck (she also uses body spanx). Yes, she hasn't had any surgery done but she does use things to smooth her looks on stage/film/TV, etc.:

everythingISpossible Profile Photo
everythingISpossible
#8Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:41am

Didn't the Bette Midler TV version start as a Movie version that was to star Barbra? Anyone know/remember?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#9Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 1:56am

No, the Bette Midler Tv film was created to be just what it was: a faithful film of the Broadway script. (The 1962 film is reasonably faithful but added narration, changed some scenes and altered minor plot points: eg June elopes with dancer Jerry, not Tulsa.)

Long before the TV film ws greenlit, there were other ideas bounced around for a Cable TV production. At one point Rose Marie was mentioned as a possible Rose. There was never any mention of Barbra doing the film. There WAS, however, talk of her playing MAME in a TV remake but fortunately saner heads prevailed.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#10Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:54am

Love her as I do, I don't think Barbra has the right vocal quality for Rose. All of the actresses to have played the role before (or certainly the ones I know: Merman, Lansbury, Peters, Daly, Russell, Buckley and Midler) have a certain something to their voices. Perhaps it's a brassiness or a roughness that I'm not sure Streisand possesses. I think of her voice as polished, smooth and focused, without the "unusualness" (spectacular though it is) of the other women.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#11Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 7:50am

Streisand was indeed approached about doing a remake of the film version in the mid 80s with Madonna as Louise. Its discussed in the book SONDHEIM AND COMPANY.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#12Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 9:56am

....maybe as Tessie ....

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#13Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 9:59am

I think if the right remake were made, Babs would be classic in a cameo as Miss Mazeppa.

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#14Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:27am

What is a "Elastic Pull-cord"...I might be interested.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#15Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:45am

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#16Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:54am

Thanks...I think the neck is the first thing to sag...Barbra needs to follow Raquel Welch. Never leave the house unless you have your makeup on...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#17Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 11:59am

Isn't Donna in Mamma Mia in her early to mid 40s? Wasn't Meryl 60 when she played her? I think with lighting, make-up and effects you can do wonders. I think Streisand could look younger if the studio wanted her to do the part.

EDIT: Although there would be no shots of her midsection (in her contract) which might strike people as odd and she prefers to be photographed from one side. I'm sure directors are clamoring to work with her.

Oh and all of Mamma Rose's costumes would be off the shoulder numbers.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 8/12/10 at 11:59 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:05pm

I have no interest in seeing Streisand play Rose at this point in her career. However, I'll always be open to the idea of Streep in the part, has she ever been considered? I think she'd be brilliant and quite a force to be reckoned with. How I wish Oliver Stone had directed her in EVITA...

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Gothampc
#19Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:28pm

The problem with Barbra doing Gypsy is that the songlist would go like this:

Overture - Orchestra
May We Entertain You - Barbra & girls
Some People - Barbra
Small World - Barbra
Mr. Goldstone, I Love You - Barbra
Little Lamb - Cut song, Barbra will record for Extras DVD
You'll Never Get Away From Me - Barbra
If Momma Was Married - Girls, then Barbra joins last verse
All I Need Is the Girl - Barbra (sung after June leaves)
Everything's Coming Up Roses - Barbra
Together, Wherever We Go - Barbara, Louise, Herbie
You Gotta Get a Gimmick - Barbra (reconceived as Rose teaching strippers how to get work)
Let Me Entertain You - Louise, followed by Barbra reprise standing in the wings
Rose's Turn - Barbra
Closing Credits: The Gypsy in My Soul - Barbra

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 1/5/11 at 12:28 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#20Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:40pm

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

JOak Profile Photo
JOak
#21Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/12/10 at 4:48pm

Gothampc you made me laugh.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#22Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 8/13/10 at 1:31am

In the 1970's around the time that Lansbury appeared in GYPSY Arthur Laurents approached Barbra Streisand about doing the show in New York.She wasn't interested (according to a Streisand book I read). I agree she would have made a spectacular Rose.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23Barbra Streisand in Gypsy
Posted: 1/5/11 at 1:05am

oh my..............................

Videos