Broadway songs about lesbians

Inigomontoya
#1Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 5:40am

I'm looking for a song for a revue I'm doing, it's for a lesbian character, I'm looking for something that has a conflict in it, I already have An old fashioned love story, I'm looking for something else, maybe a little more serious, do you know anything?

Thanks!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 6:17am

Does it have to a BWAY song or just a bway STYLE song?

Either way....you certainly could take just about any love song ABOUT a woman and once it is sung by a woman it works as a "lesbian song".

I've heard some beautiful renditions done that way that have been touching.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#2Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 6:32am

"An Old Fashioned Love Story" from Lippa's Wild Party

nvm I should learn how to read the OP....

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney
Updated On: 9/2/10 at 06:32 AM

bluetuna
#3Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 6:37am

Not sure if it fits your needs, but "Take Me or Leave Me" from "Rent".

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#4Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 8:32am

Maybe think about "Losing my Mind"

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#5Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 8:37am

"The Best Thing That Has Happened" from "Road Show" is a love duet sung by two men. Have two women sing it, and there you go.

never_has_been Profile Photo
never_has_been
#6Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 9:41am

I wouldn't consider it serious by any means, and it hasn't been on Broadway, but there is a rather entertaining song by Jonathan Reid Gealt called Expectations of a Man.
Why God did you do this to me?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#7Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 9:54am

With just a little tweaking, "Why God Why" from Miss Saigon might work.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

#8Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 11:33am

Isn't there something from Falsettoland that would work. Seems like those gals were always bickering.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#9Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 12:10pm

"I'm One of the Girls Who's One of the Boys" from Woman of the Year.

"I Hate Men" from Kiss Me Kate.

bubba7753
#10Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 12:12pm

HOw about How to handle a woman from Camelot

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 1:00pm

The lesbians in Falsettoland didn't really have a song to themselves... they had little sections of larger numbers.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#12Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 1:04pm

That Shout the Mod Musical show from a few years ago used "You're My World" as a lesbian love song.

Inigomontoya
#13Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 1:43pm

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check them up, I'm looking for something like a girl that comes out of the closet or some girl that's struggles with her sexual identity.

And it doesn't have to be Broadway, just sound like a showtune

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#14Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 2:04pm

How about "No One Knows Who I Am" from Jekyll and Hyde? It doesn't specifically deal with sexuality, but it's a great torch song for a woman who's searching for her identity.

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#15Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 2:06pm

Every Night - Bad Girls

http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/badgirls/everynight.htm

"Nikki Wade is called to see Helen Stewart in her office. Both women are in confrontational mood. Nikki assumes that Helen is settling for a cushy desk job elsewhere and Helen is still angry at Nikki for kicking off a riot. But when Helen breaks down, Nikki reminds her that they’re on the same side against Fenner and moves to comfort her. Justin bursts in and there’s an awkward stand off between the three of them. When he reveals that he’s popping round to Helen’s flat later on to help work on her tribunal case, Nikki sarcastically suggests that she’ll come too. When Helen is at home and Nikki back in her cell they both struggle with their feelings for each other - EVERY NIGHT.

Justin arrives at Helen’s flat to find her in despondent mood. He tries to rally her by telling her how much he looks up to her. When he boldy moves in for a kiss, Helen’s aghast. He realises that he’s overstepped the mark but she reassures him that the problem lies with her, not with him. When he pushes for an explanation she confesses that it’s Nikki Wade who’s got under her skin."

http://www.inqbator.org.uk/bgm/About/Synopsis/tabid/1542/language/en-US/Default.aspx Updated On: 9/2/10 at 02:06 PM

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#16Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 3:33pm

"One Hundred Easy Ways To Lose a Man" from Bernstein and Comden & Green's "Wonderful Town" could be sung with a lesbian slant. And it's a fun song.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#17Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 3:52pm

There's always I Am What I Am.

If You Could See Her from Cabaret would really be perfect.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#18Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 4:01pm

"Cantata for a First Date" from I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#19Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 5:46pm

"for good" and "what is this feeling" from wicked:)

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#20Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 9:41pm

There's "What You Need" from Grand Hotel, though when sung outside of the show, there's nothing in the lyric to suggest that it's sung by a lesbian character.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#21Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/2/10 at 10:07pm

Folksinger Phrank covered "I Enjoy Being A Girl" and made it giddily lesbian!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Trina55
#22Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/3/10 at 3:35pm

I can't believe no one's mentioned the SIDE SHOW duets yet!
"Who Will Love Me as I Am?" is a great 'struggling with identity' song, and "I Will Never Leave You" has often been reinterpreted as a song between a lesbian couple.

I've also turned "You And I" from CHESS into a lesbian duet, and "I Want to Know" from BIG into a young-lesbian-struggling-with-girl-crush solo. And I've always randomly envisioned JRB's "I Will Follow" as a lesbian duet. :)

You could try searching "Broadway Backwards" threads for some more suggestions...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/3/10 at 3:37pm

The moral of this thread is: lesbians are under represented in musicals, so you're going to have the change the context of a song.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ReiVallejo
#24Broadway songs about lesbians
Posted: 9/3/10 at 6:08pm

"bare: A Pop Opera" has gay themes. Not necessarily lesbian though but you can always just change the context.

They're pretty emotional too if you're looking for something serious.

Videos