pixeltracker

The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood

The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood

I'm so THAT Guy Profile Photo
I'm so THAT Guy
#1The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 5:56pm

Is there ANYWHERE I can listen to this recording. I have heard it is out of print and that must be true because I cant find it ANYWHERE. I really wanted to hear the recording so all help is appreciated.
Updated On: 10/26/10 at 05:56 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 6:00pm

You can buy it used on Amazon. It costs around $60 but if you want it, there's am option.

I'm so THAT Guy Profile Photo
I'm so THAT Guy
#2The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 6:02pm

Well that is a little out of range but thanks anyways maybe me and my friend can split. :) haha

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 6:23pm

My interest in hearing this was elevated after reading the Joe Papp book. I will pray for a re-issue!

Just give the world Love.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#4The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 7:11pm

This thread depresses me a little. I used to have it digitally until my computer died about a year and a half ago. Such a great show.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 8:07pm

SOMEWHERE....I have this. Can't remember if it is an ALBUM or a cassette. Hmmmm.....maybe I should try to find it!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 8:41pm

I have the one that everyone is passing around with all the songs from both CD releases. It's not that hard to come by.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#7The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 8:53pm

Try tracking down the Australian Cast Recording. It is just so horrible, what with the synthesised percussion and the generally poor performances all round.

It does have 'A British Subject' though...

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#8The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 9:23pm

I think it goes without saying that this is a show that needs a Broadway revival.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

dramamama611
#9The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 9:40pm

Can anyone tell me: was this a flop or hit?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Ed_Mottershead
#10The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 9:49pm

The critics generally liked it and it went on to win the Tony that year. But I'm not sure that it made it out of the red -- Les Miz opened the next season and that was the end of the competition for a while. (As a crowd pleaser, that is -- I've never cared for Les Miz myself).

BroadwayEd

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#11The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 9:53pm

there are a number of songs from the show here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wznwcQDxCQU

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#12The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 9:55pm

Both, really.

Began previews on November 12, 1985, opened officially on December 2. Played a total of 24 previews, 608 regular performances, and closed May 16, 1987. Nominated for 11 TONYs, winning 5 (including Best Director, Best Actor, Best Book, Best Score, and Best Musical).

dramamama611
#13The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 10:14pm

I was curious from a financial pov. DID it make it's money back?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#14The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/26/10 at 10:58pm

No, it closed in the red. It was never a big show with tourists and a particularly bad post-Broadway tour with Jean Stapleton as Princess Puffer didn't help its reputation.

I am surprised Decca Broadway hasn't re-released this one since the show is still done frequently in schools and by regionals.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

husk_charmer
#15The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 1:27am

You mean, Loretta Switt didn't push the show into the black?! *Gasp*

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#16The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 1:52am

Do you people not have public libraries?

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

husk_charmer
#17The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 7:56am

^ Actually, depending on your library/area, they may not have it. A lot of the older shows that were not major hits/classics were not replaced with CDs as LPs became phased out. They also (at least in the areas I've been) tend to use revivals more often, because more music is recorded.

There is also the possibility of the CDs being damaged/stolen so that using them is next to impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 9:16am

The show also went downhill fast after much of the OBC left. I heard many stories at the time of troubles backstage, as well. Suffice it to say, this was not a happy cast.

When most of the leads left after their contracts expired, the show became pretty lame. I saw it once in previews, and it was terrific. I loved everything about it. I went back over a year later, and it was pretty bad. Only George Rose and Howard McGillin remained from the OBC. George Rose was walking through his part (and he had won the Tony for it), and McGillin was okay (after being brilliant the first time around). But the female leads had all left. Karen Morrow was a pale substitute for Cleo Laine. Donna Murphy was adequate at best and boring at worst, replacing Buckley. The ingenue who had taken over for Patti Cohenour had nowhere near the voice or stage presence. It was lackluster all around.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone who saw this show later in the run was scratching their heads as to why it was still running and had won so many awards.

The personalities on stage really help to make this show work. If they're not up to par, it can really effect an audience's impression.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jon
#19The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 1:37pm

If you revive it, it must have Jim Dale as the Chairman.

givesmevoice
#20The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 1:40pm

^ that's a fantastic idea. I'd really wanted to see Erin Davie as Rosa Bud, but now I'm not sure she's my top choice.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 2:42pm

I think Drood could and should be revived. Today's audiences would love the "interactive ending." But it needs larger-than-life personalities in the main cast to really engage them in the bawdy music hall experience.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

givesmevoice
#22The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 10/27/10 at 2:43pm

I'd like to see LuPone as the Princess Puffer, personally.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#23The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 5/1/11 at 12:10pm

I just broke down and bought the cast recording on Amazon for 50 bucks! I just love their Tony performance on the no-no sight so much, I had to hear the rest of the score. Such exciting staging in that video! THAT is how you stage a musical number!

#24The Mystery of Edwin Drood or Drood
Posted: 5/1/11 at 12:18pm

Love DROOD.
It should come back. Just finished a production and it would work well nowadays on Broadway. It competed with Les Mis and Phantom- that year.
Everyone flocked to that instead.

An all star cast would definitely be perfect .
Songs=brilliant.

Erin Davie- great choice. Jim Dale too. Lupone as Puffer. great

I vote Alan Cumming as Neville Landless
a little off- but i think it can trigger affection for an audience.

we need someone saucy/spicy for Helena Landless.

Updated On: 5/1/11 at 12:18 PM